Newbie needing help :)

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh...and why do you have corals in an uncycled tank?...they are animals too...I will recommend some good books to get you started right...the worst thing you can do in this hobby is be in a rush...no patience, no success...that's the reality...we've all been through it...its not like the show Tanked...their fish die all the time...they're just replaced...
The books: the best (even though your tank is big)...is The Nano Reef Handbook, by Chris Brightwell (Kindle available)...also Albert J. Thiel ( a member) has written a long and detailed book on reefs...you can download this and he's on R2R...Believe me, this is hard stuff...you have to know what you are doing...if not you will probably lose a lot and give up...forgive my preaching:rolleyes:

OP
OP
RealtyBoss

RealtyBoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all your help. I don't watch tanked or shows and have tried reading online and seems things are different everywhere. I called in an aquarium company who told me to do it this way. I'm trying to learn which after reading such great things here, is why I signed up. I was told they're "trash fish" and thought to myself they're beautiful! But was told they were important to get it cycled. We introduced them 2 weeks in after the rocks were introduced. I think I'm only 2 weeks "cycled". Said it takes 4 weeks and it's been 2 after the 4 were done. I did water, some rock, then more rock then snails/ crabs then fish and yesterday I put in the first frags. He said the fish would help the tank and should be fine but were good to get things more stable for next level fish. If there's a way to get these legged things out I'll get a better video / pics to see what they are as I never saw them until I got this high level lighting in. Tried most of last night to watch for them and they haven't come back out. They will though and I will seek yalls help! I will read and read as I'm very interested and love my tank. I watched it like a new born for a month and love it like its family. My wrong doing isn't out of lack of respect, rather possibly ill advised. Thank you all for helping a newbie out ❤️

Last edited:

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all your help. I don't watch tanked or shows and have tried reading online and seems things are different everywhere. I called in an aquarium company who told me to do it this way. I'm trying to learn which after reading such great things here, is why I signed up. I was told they're "trash fish" and thought to myself they're beautiful! But was told they were important to get it cycled. We introduced them 2 weeks in after the rocks were introduced. I think I'm only 2 weeks "cycled". Said it takes 4 weeks and it's been 2 after the 4 were done. I did water, some rock, then more rock then snails/ crabs then fish and yesterday I put in the first frags. He said the fish would help the tank and should be fine but were good to get things more stabile for next level fish. If there's a way to get these legged things out I'll get a better video / pics to see what they are as I never saw them until I got this high level lighting in. Tried most of last night to watch for them and they haven't come back out. They will though and I will seek yalls help! I will read and read as I'm very interested and love my tank. I watched it like a new born for a month and love it like its family. My wrong doing isn't out of lack of respect, rather possibly ill advised. Thank you all for helping a newbie out ❤️
Thank you for responding...the striped legged guys are probably mini serpent stars...they are fine...its the astorina (white) that could be problematic...while i have been doing fish for nearly 50 years, it has been mostly fresh water, discus and the like...I tried a 110 gal reef 15 years ago...knew nothing...lost right and left and went back to fresh...my little reef has been up for almost a year...if not for R2R I would have quit long ago...but basic knowledge is what we all need...I have started a reef club locally (upstate NY), mostly on facebook...join if you like...its called The Catskill Reef...we try to be helpful and post pictures and articles of interest...one new member, Darryl, has been doing reefs for 35 years...he's helping me now...and he really loves to help people with reefs...so best of luck and do read...and be slow and patient...Ken

OP
OP
RealtyBoss

RealtyBoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a picture of the so called Octo's?

Send me a PM and we figure out how we can post the vid.

Remember that most members post their honest opinion and expertise with the starfish.
I posted a link based on research from marine biologist on the Astrina's.
If you would like to Google and find some valuable info that is your best bet in this hobby.
Great tank BTW.
Did your tank went through the cycle process?
Awesome that you include your little girl in the process too.

Thank you! Well I think I'm confused on the cycle time. Was told 4 weeks to get bacteria to start introducing more babies. So I've slowly been adding the past few weeks. Was told at least 4 weeks but probably closer to 7 before adding the fish I want to add and needed to "level up" with certain additions. And to wait 3-5 days between adding another. So I don't know when is considered fully cycled. I went through the spike and now levels are fine and I check salinity daily, ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, calcium, etc every few days as I'm a bit paranoid. And yes my daughter loves it. We have names for all the babies. Black fish is Joe Dirte, blue is Mylie, starfish 1- Celeste and 2 is bob. The others we can't tell from another yet. And don't know if the legged things are brittles with too many legs or if octo. They're awfully skinny tho so maybe a mutated brittle? Didn't see but a few legs on the others as they were half in half out. How do you know when you're FULLY cycled? I'm questioning my aquarium guy now

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Well I think I'm confused on the cycle time. Was told 4 weeks to get bacteria to start introducing more babies. So I've slowly been adding the past few weeks. Was told at least 4 weeks but probably closer to 7 before adding the fish I want to add and needed to "level up" with certain additions. And to wait 3-5 days between adding another. So I don't know when is considered fully cycled. I went through the spike and now levels are fine and I check salinity daily, ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, calcium, etc every few days as I'm a bit paranoid. And yes my daughter loves it. We have names for all the babies. Black fish is Joe Dirte, blue is Mylie, starfish 1- Celeste and 2 is bob. The others we can't tell from another yet. And don't know if the legged things are brittles with too many legs or if octo. They're awfully skinny tho so maybe a mutated brittle? Didn't see but a few legs on the others as they were half in half out. How do you know when you're FULLY cycled? I'm questioning my aquarium guy now

Funny names for your fish, lol.
I think you're good on your cycle process.
Just take it slow.

OP
OP
RealtyBoss

RealtyBoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joe Dirte loves me. He follows me around now. I probably worded my question wrong in the beginning. I said 2 weeks in- meaning 2 weeks into being cycled from what we were told. But said it will go through more as I add more to it. These pics are different stages/ times. Not from a day. I sent a request to the forum you suggested. ☺️☺️ Thanks again to all! Can't wait to be as knowledgable as you all. ( 50 years he we come!)

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this wasn't already said, you should get the basic test kits so you know your parameters and that will also let you know when your tank is fully cycled. Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate and salinity and if you're going to have corals calcium and alkalinity. I like the redsea test kits myself.
Good luck and I have asterinas and the mini brittle stars, no problems.

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef, enjoy the addiction with the rest of us.

OP
OP
RealtyBoss

RealtyBoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this wasn't already said, you should get the basic test kits so you know your parameters and that will also let you know when your tank is fully cycled. Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate and salinity and if you're going to have corals calcium and alkalinity. I like the redsea test kits myself.
Good luck and I have asterinas and the mini brittle stars, no problems.

Thanks, yes I posted on how I check these regularly. ☺️

Eaj1001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all your help. I don't watch tanked or shows and have tried reading online and seems things are different everywhere. I called in an aquarium company who told me to do it this way. I'm trying to learn which after reading such great things here, is why I signed up. I was told they're "trash fish" and thought to myself they're beautiful! But was told they were important to get it cycled. We introduced them 2 weeks in after the rocks were introduced. I think I'm only 2 weeks "cycled". Said it takes 4 weeks and it's been 2 after the 4 were done. I did water, some rock, then more rock then snails/ crabs then fish and yesterday I put in the first frags. He said the fish would help the tank and should be fine but were good to get things more stable for next level fish. If there's a way to get these legged things out I'll get a better video / pics to see what they are as I never saw them until I got this high level lighting in. Tried most of last night to watch for them and they haven't come back out. They will though and I will seek yalls help! I will read and read as I'm very interested and love my tank. I watched it like a new born for a month and love it like its family. My wrong doing isn't out of lack of respect, rather possibly ill advised. Thank you all for helping a newbie out ❤️
It's not the first time I've heard the term trash or cycling fish, they are very hardy fish (damsels) and they do help a great deal in getting the nitrogen cycle going and they are not harmed in the process, you'll see for yourself. I'm new to reef tanks but not to marine tanks and I will always have damsels in my tanks. Like you I look at my tanks a lot as do my kids and my wife it's a fun and peaceful hobby just wait until your corals start growing it's amazing! I wish a lot of success with your tank which is btw an awesome setup!

OP
OP
RealtyBoss

RealtyBoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not the first time I've heard the term trash or cycling fish, they are very hardy fish (damsels) and they do help a great deal in getting the nitrogen cycle going and they are not harmed in the process, you'll see for yourself. I'm new to reef tanks but not to marine tanks and I will always have damsels in my tanks. Like you I look at my tanks a lot as do my kids and my wife it's a fun and peaceful hobby just wait until your corals start growing it's amazing! I wish a lot of success with your tank which is btw an awesome setup!
Thank you soooo much!! Just picked up 100 more lbs of live rock. It's got coral and all kinds of goodies on it. It's from the same tank I bought the other live rock. Will post a pic when we get home and it set up !

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey your here
astera star fish they just can be overwhelming in a tank if left on there own removal by hand only way if they get to overwhelming they reproduce by regeneration
serpent stars

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home to reef2reef, you'll love it here.

Asterinas aren't that bad I wouldn't lose any sleep

Eaj1001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you soooo much!! Just picked up 100 more lbs of live rock. It's got coral and all kinds of goodies on it. It's from the same tank I bought the other live rock. Will post a pic when we get home and it set up !
Your zoas should be fine too with a good stack of live rock, you have the bacteria you need to process the waste produced and keep the nitrogen cycle in healthy levels...test ammonia levels regularly it's the most likely parameter to be out of ideal range in a new tank. Your ph should be close to 8.3 and Calcium 400 to 450 with corals in the tank, my tank temp stays between 80 and 82 with good results. It's fun no stress needed there's always an answer for any questions you have on R2R.

OP
OP
RealtyBoss

RealtyBoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!! Yea I'm having a bit of trouble with my ph all of a sudden. Everything else looks ok. All numbers at 0 but ph at 7.5. Gave it a boost so hoping it'll get back up. Heat is at 81. Adding the new live rock now. What about the other aquariums water it came in? Good to keep or toss? I guess I could google it but like the real time answers here.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 109 73.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back