Newbie needing help :)

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not need to adjust the pH until the tank is fully cycled and you start adding live stock. :)

Test the pH at the same time each day when testing. You'll get your lower value just prior to the lights going on and the highest value in the evening before the lights go out.

OP
OP
RealtyBoss

RealtyBoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some in it. 2 fish and some frags. The new live rock has coral or something all over it. Look like purple trees and purple tubes and flower looking things. I do NOT know about coral enough. I didn't know it was going to have all this. I had paid for it and he left it in the garage for me. The other rocks I got from him a few weeks back had starfish and brittles in them. But no plants really. These are covered.

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to drop to 78-79 or so on your temperature especially in the summer unless you have a chiller to keep it stable. A stuck heater or errant air conditioner can lead to trouble in a hurry in the summer.
You are better off tossing and using fresh when it comes to the water.
7.5 is low for your ph, but instead if a buffer, your protein skimmer and maybe some outside air will help. Modern homes with tight energy efficient windows and insulated against leaks can get high co2 which causes ph drop.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thank you!! Yea I'm having a bit of trouble with my ph all of a sudden. Everything else looks ok. All numbers at 0 but ph at 7.5. Gave it a boost so hoping it'll get back up. Heat is at 81. Adding the new live rock now. What about the other aquariums water it came in? Good to keep or toss? I guess I could google it but like the real time answers here.
Lol, you can toss the water if you want. Personally i would toss it because im guessing the live rock would be splashin around sturring up junk in w.e bag/container it came in. Yea dont worry the ph will be fine after everything gets settled in

Eaj1001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!! Yea I'm having a bit of trouble with my ph all of a sudden. Everything else looks ok. All numbers at 0 but ph at 7.5. Gave it a boost so hoping it'll get back up. Heat is at 81. Adding the new live rock now. What about the other aquariums water it came in? Good to keep or toss? I guess I could google it but like the real time answers here.
I always toss it

Psiber_Syn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The purple plants could this be star polyps? Google and check

Btw welcome to the addiction from what I read so far you have a lot of information to absorb grab some books and start your journey the right way believe me in my short time I have learned more than I want to know about reef aquariums/fish/coral try to not make rash decisions or impulse buys without some research first find a close friend or good local fish store and ask a ton of questions here there and everywhere the rule to reefing is nothing happens fast but disaster lol we all have been there so feel free to ask us anything I'm sure Someone will be able to help you also get some decent pictures for id's on things makes it much easier than saying bluish,yellowy,red things lol

Welcome to r2r :)

Eaj1001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some in it. 2 fish and some frags. The new live rock has coral or something all over it. Look like purple trees and purple tubes and flower looking things. I do NOT know about coral enough. I didn't know it was going to have all this. I had paid for it and he left it in the garage for me. The other rocks I got from him a few weeks back had starfish and brittles in them. But no plants really. These are covered.
Sounds like algae and tube worms both are good! The damsels can handle that ph. Adjust slowly. I left the serpent stars and brittle stars in my tank they don't do any harm and they're fun to watch when they reach out of the rocks, you rarely see them though.

Eaj1001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like algae and tube worms both are good! The damsels can handle that ph. Adjust slowly. I left the serpent stars and brittle stars in my tank they don't do any harm and they're fun to watch when they reach out of the rocks, you rarely see them though.
There a lot of algae species I have purple macro and coralline algae in my small tank. Tube worms and feather dusters have feather-like filter at the ends of their tubes. Sounds like good rock.

OP
OP
RealtyBoss

RealtyBoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here are the new guys. Sorry pics aren't best. You guys rock! So happy I found you all! Thanks for being so nice!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you boosting Ph with?...

OP
OP
RealtyBoss

RealtyBoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you boosting Ph with?...
We used Aqua vitro 8.4 for reefs. Just tested again and now back to normal. Last night was low. Said to wait 24 hours. Looks good now but was worried how it dropped over night

Eaj1001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here are the new guys. Sorry pics aren't best. You guys rock! So happy I found you all! Thanks for being so nice!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
Looks like Anthelia or pulsing Xenia or possibly star polyps but the stalks look too large for star polyps, you also have some Zoas that are closed, they'll open up once they acclimate and coralline algae from what I can see.. Nice! I have a huge colony of Anthelia and several smaller ones. They add motion moving with the water flow ...very nice!

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We used Aqua vitro 8.4 for reefs. Just tested again and now back to normal. Last night was low. Said to wait 24 hours. Looks good now but was worried how it dropped over night
My pH was about 7.8...now its 8.0...most people here say to leave it alone...stability is more important than getting an exact high number...I have no problems with this and things look good at that pH...glad you joined CR...:)

Eaj1001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said yesterday one of your crabs had been pulled from its shell..assuming they're hermits, when they molt the shed looks exactly like the crabs body color and all. It would be easy to think it's a dead crab laying on the bottom of the tank it's so complete..I have 8 in my small tank and I see this often. Pretty amazing little guys like bull-dozers, knocking frags over and even carrying things around with them..very funny and fun to watch!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 20.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 113 73.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back