Optimal Parameters for a Coral Reef Aquarium: By Randy Holmes-Farley

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley it's me again with more question .. I hope my questions don't bore you.

I did some further readings and it seems that there are:
  • Correlation between ULNS (No3 and Po4) and Alkalinity.
    • The lower No3 and Po4, the lower Alk we should be shooting for (7.7 dKH to 8.5 dKH).
    • The higher No3 and Po4, the higher Alk we should be shooting for (> 11 dKH).
  • Correlation between Calcium and Alkalinity.
    • 8.25 dKH Alk to 420 ppm Ca.
    • 8.50 dKH Alk to 422 ppm Ca.
    • 8.75 dKH Alk to 423 ppm Ca.
    • And so on.
Whilst I understand matching the seawater parameter at 1,290 ppm (Mg), 8.5 dKH (Alk) & 420 ppm (Ca) at 1.026 SG is recommended but I failed to understand the above.

Does it mean that higher No3 and Po4 tank should be shooting for >11 dKH of Alkalinity, hence to balance that, Calcium will need to be at 439 ppm?

And I'm not getting the correlation between Magnesium to all of these parameters (No3, Po4, Alk & Ca).

I'm pretty sure I'm confused and probably there is no need to know such intrinsic details.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley it's me again with more question .. I hope my questions don't bore you.

I did some further readings and it seems that there are:
  • Correlation between ULNS (No3 and Po4) and Alkalinity.
    • The lower No3 and Po4, the lower Alk we should be shooting for (7.7 dKH to 8.5 dKH).
    • The higher No3 and Po4, the higher Alk we should be shooting for (> 11 dKH).
  • Correlation between Calcium and Alkalinity.
    • 8.25 dKH Alk to 420 ppm Ca.
    • 8.50 dKH Alk to 422 ppm Ca.
    • 8.75 dKH Alk to 423 ppm Ca.
    • And so on.
Whilst I understand matching the seawater parameter at 1,290 ppm (Mg), 8.5 dKH (Alk) & 420 ppm (Ca) at 1.026 SG is recommended but I failed to understand the above.

Does it mean that higher No3 and Po4 tank should be shooting for >11 dKH of Alkalinity, hence to balance that, Calcium will need to be at 439 ppm?

And I'm not getting the correlation between Magnesium to all of these parameters (No3, Po4, Alk & Ca).

I'm pretty sure I'm confused and probably there is no need to know such intrinsic details.

I do not think there is any "relationship" between the optimal levels of calcium or magnesium and any other actual parameters. The optimal ranges of them stand alone, IMO.

Alkalinity generally limits the calcification rate in many circumstances, and it appears that if nutrients are very low and alkalinity is high, reefers often observe "burnt tips". One possible explanation is that the skeleton grows faster than the tissue can keep up, making the tissue thin and susceptible to damage.

When nutrients are higher, one has more choice on alk level, and if you want faster coral growth, pick higher alk. If you want less growth, or lower alk for some other reasons, that is fine too. :)

Ontheway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy, I am planning to translate all this, to publish in a local site for non-english users. Am I allowed to do ? Citation will not be a thing you need to worry about, of course. Anything else? :)

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I didn't see this. I can't make that decision, so hit the report post button on your post and it will be sent to the owner and managers of Reef2Reef to decide. Thanks

Ontheway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I didn't see this. I can't make that decision, so hit the report post button on your post and it will be sent to the owner and managers of Reef2Reef to decide. Thanks

Was almost giving up, I'll do that, thanks for guidance :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi Randy, I am planning to translate all this, to publish in a local site for non-english users. Am I allowed to do ? Citation will not be a thing you need to worry about, of course. Anything else? :)

You have our permission just please cite Randy as the author and our site as the source with a link back please! If this was a request for an English speaking site I would decline and just have you link back here. Thanks.

Ontheway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have our permission just please cite Randy as the author and our site as the source with a link back please! If this was a request for an English speaking site I would decline and just have you link back here. Thanks.
Thanks and for citation, consider it done. I would do exactly the same if ppl were able to read in English :)
After translation, I hope I can put a link and a few words here in a message to provide an address for translated version. Will naturally do the same towards this direction to indicate the original, in local site.

Regards,
Alp

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ontheway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Robthorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So from the understanding I have, higher alk can be supported by higher nutrient levels and not vice versa (higher alk, ULNS)? Thanks for writing this kind of stuff up Randy, it's tremendously useful information to the non-scientist!
Opposite. Lower alk for lower nutrients.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back