Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw....

Tank has been running for about 5 years but just got re-done with new sand, new pumps and some new rock about a month ago.
The PB tang was added to DT on Nov 26, 2018. he was in sump for 2 weeks prior to acclimate.
yellow tang added Nov 30, 2018 along with a small naso. Both the yellow and naso went straight into DT. The yellow ripped the bag while I was acclimating to temp.

The naso did not make it. He was swimming funny and refused to eat. The naso died Dec 5, 2018.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will look for meds today and hopefully buy them this evening after work.
Is this stuff to treat the display or do I need to catch these fish and treat in qt?

Btw...
Both fish looked GREAT prior to this.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank?

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank?
Tank is 110 gallon DT

NGF... Is that an ingredient found in Furnan-2?

Look for:
Kanaplex
General Cure
Prazipro
I have some Prazipro but probably not enough.
I "think" I have Kanaplex, Metroplex, Furnan-2 and Focus but again, probably not enough.
I am going to the lfs after work to see if they have what I need.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 110 gallon DT

NGF... Is that an ingredient found in Furnan-2?

I have some Prazipro but probably not enough.
I "think" I have Kanaplex, Metroplex, Furnan-2 and Focus but again, probably not enough.
I am going to the lfs after work to see if they have what I need.
If not, I would use amazon to purchase the items.

@HotRocks suggestion of General Cure, Kanaplex, Prazi Pro would be a good start. You can use Kanaplex and GC concurrently. This would be the best course of action, then treat with the other antibiotics after that. Then, hit them with copper power at 1.75 PPM for 14 days then transfer to a new completely sterile QT. If not, then you'll need to treat for 30 days. We are changing our suggestions for you, haha!

The 110 gallon tank will not be large enough for all of those tangs, particularly not the Powder Blue. You'll need to treat all of your fish for ich in copper as well, because that many tangs, particularly an acanthurus tang will not end well, unfortunately.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If not, I would use amazon to purchase the items.

@HotRocks suggestion of General Cure, Kanaplex, Prazi Pro would be a good start. You can use Kanaplex and GC concurrently. This would be the best course of action, then treat with the other antibiotics after that. Then, hit them with copper power at 1.75 PPM for 14 days then transfer to a new completely sterile QT. If not, then you'll need to treat for 30 days. We are changing our suggestions for you, haha!

The 110 gallon tank will not be large enough for all of those tangs, particularly not the Powder Blue. You'll need to treat all of your fish for ich in copper as well, because that many tangs, particularly an acanthurus tang will not end well, unfortunately.

So far, I don't have an ich problem and I hope I don't develop one. As long as I can keep their immune system up to snuff I should be good.

As far as the other meds...
Is this something I do in the DT or do I need to QT?
Also, where does Prazipro come into the picture. Or does it?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, I don't have an ich problem and I hope I don't develop one. As long as I can keep their immune system up to snuff I should be good.

Use meds in QT. Not DT. Prazipro is DT safe. GC and antibiotics are not DT safe.

NFG is nitrofuracin green powder
http://store.nationalfishpharm.com/NFP-products-Nitrofuracin-Green-59584.Item.html
NFG contains three antibiotics + methalyne blue. It's the best I've ever used. Don't combine it with any other meds though.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two 10 gallon tanks.
Maybe I should but one more and treat each fish in it's own 10gal tank?

Would this work?

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your fish, I hope all turns out well!

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two 10 gallon tanks.
Maybe I should but one more and treat each fish in it's own 10gal tank?

Would this work?
I think ten gals are too small. I’d try all of them in a large Rubbermaid tote or a 40 breeder.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think ten gals are too small. I’d try all of them in a large Rubbermaid tote or a 40 breeder.

40 gal ain't gonna happen. $100 for a tank with no place to put it just does not work out.
Besides, 3 fish in 1 40gal vs 1 fish per 10gal... I would think that would be better even if only for toxin build up.
Also, more back and forth swim room vs a brute right?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The fish's immune system will not matter for the powder blue tang. A healthy fish unaffected by any ailments, established to the hobby for years, in a tank very understocked with a low bio load, fed only the most nutritious foods exclusively, with very clean water will not be able to handle "ich management" methods. This is not a zebrasoma tang, they are a very very different ballgame. Here's a relevant article on exactly this topic and acanthurus tangs, namely Powder blue, Achilles, Powder brown, and Goldrim:

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/ich-and-acanthurus-tangs-years-of-experience-and-ich-management.106/

Here's a useful thread about "ich eradication" versus "ich management". Your selected fish will determine what will or will not work. The odds are almost zero that a powder blue can live in ich management even short-term (more than a few months).

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ich-eradication-vs-ich-management.188775/page-22#post-5461435

The minimum tank size for a powder blue is well-documented at 180 gallons. I would actually argue that an adult 8-10 inch powder blue tang is not suitable for even a 6 foot tank, either. I don't mean to be the tang police, I am fine with many kinds of tangs even in a 4 foot tank sometimes (smaller bristletooths or even some zebrasoma tangs), so I am not extreme with this, I feel.

You'll need to treat for ich and velvet or you'll be at this again almost immediately. I know that's not a popular thing to read now, but while you're dealing with the rest of this, do it right.

In a 110 gallon tank without treatment, even short-term, a powder blue would stress enough that ich would take over even if they weren't as susceptible as they are to parasites. They swim miles each day in the wild, this is a group of fish that need lots of room. It will likely stress even if treated. It may take that aggression out on tankmates, which is common in these scenarios.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish's immune system will not matter for the powder blue tang. A healthy fish unaffected by any ailments, established to the hobby for years, in a tank very understocked with a low bio load, fed only the most nutritious foods exclusively, with very clean water will not be able to handle "ich management" methods. This is not a zebrasoma tang, they are a very very different ballgame. Here's a relevant article on exactly this topic and acanthurus tangs, namely Powder blue, Achilles, Powder brown, and Goldrim:

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/ich-and-acanthurus-tangs-years-of-experience-and-ich-management.106/

Here's a useful thread about "ich eradication" versus "ich management". Your selected fish will determine what will or will not work. The odds are almost zero that a powder blue can live in ich management even short-term (more than a few months).

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ich-eradication-vs-ich-management.188775/page-22#post-5461435

The minimum tank size for a powder blue is well-documented at 180 gallons. I would actually argue that an adult 8-10 inch powder blue tang is not suitable for even a 6 foot tank, either. I don't mean to be the tang police, I am fine with many kinds of tangs even in a 4 foot tank sometimes (smaller bristletooths or even some zebrasoma tangs), so I am not extreme with this, I feel.

You'll need to treat for ich and velvet or you'll be at this again almost immediately again. I know that's not a popular thing to read now, but while you're dealing with the rest of this, do it right.

In a 110 gallon tank even short-term a powder blue would stress enough that ich would take over even if they weren't as susceptible as they are to parasites. They swim miles each day in the wild, this is a group of fish that need lots of room.

That was an interesting and informative read.
My entire fish livestock consists of...

1 Lionfish
1 Maroon Clown
1 Yellow Tang
1 Sailfin Tang
1 PB Tang
1 Sailfin Tang
2 three Stripe Damsels

1 small Naso in sump for acclimation (Not doing too well)

What can I (REASONABLY) use to QT and treat all these fish for all that time?
What about filtration?
Are there any concerns for the Lionfish?

I'm not opposed to getting this done right but... HOW?!?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was an interesting and informative read.
My entire fish livestock consists of...

1 Lionfish
1 Maroon Clown
1 Yellow Tang
1 Sailfin Tang
1 PB Tang
1 Sailfin Tang
2 three Stripe Damsels

1 small Naso in sump for acclimation (Not doing too well)

What can I (REASONABLY) use to QT and treat all these fish for all that time?
What about filtration?
Are there any concerns for the Lionfish?

I'm not opposed to getting this done right but... HOW?!?
The sailfin tang will very quickly outgrow the tank as well.

I typically use 40B or 55 gallon tanks to quarantine batches of fish. Craigslist is helpful.

The lionfish will need to be treated in Chloroquine phosphate most likely. They can be sensitive in copper. You can try it, if it eats you will probably be OK. But they do much better in CP.

Here's the QT process @HotRocks and I use:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-current-qt-process.483371/

Filtration, a HOB works just fine for QT. Powerhead breaking surface and bubbler both do well.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. Flukes with secondary infection. Would do 2 rounds of prazi and see where you’re at before treating secondary, which will likely go away on it’s own and make the fish stronger for it

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sailfin tang will very quickly outgrow the tank as well.

I typically use 40B or 55 gallon tanks to quarantine batches of fish. Craigslist is helpful.

The lionfish will need to be treated in Chloroquine phosphate most likely. They can be sensitive in copper. You can try it, if it eats you will probably be OK. But they do much better in CP.

Here's the QT process @HotRocks and I use:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-current-qt-process.483371/

Filtration, a HOB works just fine for QT. Powerhead breaking surface and bubbler both do well.

A 40 or 55gal will be large enough for my livestock list?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 40 or 55gal will be large enough for my livestock list?
Should be, yes. Just be sure you buy bottled bacteria (biospira is my suggestion) to seed the tank. The crowding would cause ammonia build-up, that would be the concern. For quarantine purposes, you will be fine.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back