Please help (Sick Tangs)

Fastpitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh so your one of us. @4FordFamily has about 14 years in the hobby. 10 or so practicing ich management.

The last 4 practicing proper quarantine.

I keep 8 tangs. So I'm just a guy with a SW tank as well.

I'm guessing you run a massive UV, diatom filter or oxydator too. If you are adding fish regularly it will implode eventually just read the threads in this forum regularly.
Let me just say for my very small part, there are no members of this forum that I respect more or more enthusiastically follow than @HotRocks and @4FordFamily. If I have a problem I am coming to you. At least until @Humblefish returns. [emoji23]

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me just say for my very small part, there are no members of this forum that I respect more or more enthusiastically follow than @HotRocks and @4FordFamily. If I have a problem I am coming to you. At least until @Humblefish returns. [emoji23]
Thanks Jim, that means a lot. We do our best here. God bless.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's get this thread back on track.

This thread is me asking for help. It's not a thread about who has kept pb without ich and it's not about looking for Phd's and published papers.

Is about me asking for help from people that know more than I do. To be honest, I know a fair amount. However...
I do not know enough to save my fish without the help and advice of people more experience than me.

Please be helpful.
If you are just trolling, find another bridge to lurk under.

Last edited:

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's get this thread back on track.

This thread is me asking for help. Is not a thread about who has kept pb without ich and it's not about looking for Phd's and published papers.

Is about me asking for help from people that know more than I do. To be honest, I know a fair amount. However...
I do not know enough to save my fish without the help and advice of people more experience than me.

Please be helpful.
If you are just trolling, find another bridge to lurk under.

Well said.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked for help.
I reached out to @Humblefish, @4FordFamily and @HotRocks because I value what they have done. I respect their experience and contributions to the hobby.

I’m not as experienced in fish diseases diagnoses as they are. But I do come close most of the time. That’s why I always ask for back up or a second opinion.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now...
Back to my sick fish.

The yellow tang is developing popeye. The eye on the side where the marks are has swollen and begun to get cloudy.

I JUST set the at tank up so it's not ready yet. Water is still to cold.
I've added the bio spira plus some stability along with micro bacter7. Figure more diverse bacteria can't hurt.
I also added a small bag of media from the main tank along with some matrix in a cup.

20181219_212215.jpg

Is there anything else I should do to the tank? anything else to add?
The shells and ornaments are for fish to hide behind and surface for bacteria.
Is this a good idea or should i go to lowes and get PVC piping.

Last edited:

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now...
Back to my sick fish.

The yellow tang is developing popeye. The eye on the side where the marks are has swollen and begun to get cloudy.

I JUST set the at tank up so it's not ready yet. Water is still to cold.
I've added the bio spira plus some stability along with micro bacter7. Figure more diverse bacteria can't hurt.
I also added a small bag of media from the main tank along with some matrix in a cup.

20181219_212215.jpg

Definitely bacterial.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fish-diseases-101.189284/

You could also add Epsom salts:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/popeye.305090/

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other considerations...

My lionfish.
Should I put him in his own qt tank? Only other tank I have is the 10gal.
Should I treat him with the rest of the fish and move him to his own 10 gallon when it's time for copper?

I have the same concern for the clown. I read somewhere that clowns are also sensitive to copper.
That might have just been someone not really knowing what they were talking about but since I don't know... I'm asking.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. Sometimes cloudy eyes are from flukes which are confirmed with a freshwater dip.

For Popeye epsom salt as above and erithromyacin works best for eye infections.

Will the trifecta not treat it? That along with the rally bath and freshwater dip?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other considerations...

My lionfish.
Should I put him in his own at tank? Only other tank I have is the 10gal.
Should I treat him with the rest of the fish and move him to his own 10 gallon when it's time for copper?

I have the same concern for the clown. I read somewhere that clowns are also sensitive to copper.
That might have just been someone not really knowing what they were talking about but since I don't know... I'm asking.
I have never had a lion in copper only CP. So I can't answer that. Clowns are super hardy and tough as nails in copper.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked for help.
I reached out to @Humblefish, @4FordFamily and @HotRocks because I value what they have done. I respect their experience and contributions to the hobby.
I'm still learning from everyone else about best medicines and the order to use them.

Thank you @4FordFamily @HotRocks and @Humblefish!

The 1 suggestion i would make beyond a 5 minute fresh water bath would be make sure you are feeding excellent foods and greens and a healthy dose of finely chopped clams.

As a veteran "tank stuffer", that fish list still sounds like a lot of fish. Even if they are all still small. With some obnoxiously sensitive ones as well.

I would consider not replacing any fish that die until you get your (still too small for a few of those fish) 265 gallon tank.

My biggest problems in the past have been from too many fish, then declining water quality, then random deaths.
I believe that the *majority* of the fish that we keep will do fine with parasites and disease in the tank as long as they are fed extremely well and not too crowded.
But even that theory has its limits.

Hope your fish improve soon.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater dip first for fluke confirmation on the yellow. Then antibiotics and Epsom salts. Treat as recommended.

As @HotRocks said on the clown.
Agree, Don you are always spot on. Anytime you tag us all I have to do is say I agree^^^.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the trifecta not treat it? That along with the rally bath and freshwater dip?
It may but for Popeye/eye infections erithromyacin does best

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if it's popeye or just swollen from whatever he has going on.
Is there a difference?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back