Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok...

What is my total treatment plan now?
What do I add to my list?
When do I add it?
How do I add it?

I have that list of things I need to do and the order I need to do then in.

Please advise what I need to add, when and how I need to add it.
Do I add erithromyacin to the trifecta?
Do I just add Epsom salt? If so, do I add with above meds? If so, how much?

I don't want to mess this up.

Last edited:

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Epsom salt is basically magnesium sulfate. It can be used with other meds, it's reef-safe, and it helps to reduce swelling.

I'll let 4FordFamily or HotRocks handle the Erythromycin question - I have some of the stuff, but haven't had cause to use it. Given the infection that you're already experiencing, I'd almost be tempted to add it to the "Trifecta" ... but that gets to be an awful lot of chemistry in the water.

~Bruce

elisa h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Midas blenny had pop eye a couple months ago. FWIW I’m not sure if it was from an injury or bacterial since he does like the dive head first into holes. I used metroplex and kanoplex in his food along with epsom salt and water changes. It cleared up in about 2 weeks and his eye is fine now. I think all the antibiotics you have now should be enough to treat the pop eye but I’m not an expert.

Not sure if I missed it but are you offering nori to the tangs every day? This can really help keep them healthy and keep their immune system up to better deal with all the medications and infections they’re dealing with.

Also, it’s so nice to see all the helpful people on this forum and people coming together to save fish!!

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Epsom salt is basically magnesium sulfate. It can be used with other meds, it's reef-safe, and it helps to reduce swelling.

I'll let 4FordFamily or HotRocks handle the Erythromycin question - I have some of the stuff, but haven't had cause to use it. Given the infection that you're already experiencing, I'd almost be tempted to add it to the "Trifecta" ... but that gets to be an awful lot of chemistry in the water.

~Bruce
I would not add erythromycin to the trifecta. That is probably pushing it putting that many meds on the fish at once. Could start to damage liver.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got all fish out the tank except one.
I have a cinnamon clown that has been living in the weir for the past 5 years.
I thought he was dead up to 3 years ago when I saw him in the weir. I just knew the maroon had killed him but... guess not.

How on earth do I get him out the weir?

All the other fish are in a tote taking a ruby reef rally bath right now and will be in there for the next hour or so.

Help if you can please.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, I've lost 3 fish.
The Naso died within 10 minutes of being put in qt.
Yellow ain't dead yet but... all he's doing it'd barely breathing. PB is the exact same way.

Purple and sailfin don't look like they are doing well either.
I moved them back to the display and they are struggling. Breathing very hard.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the sailfin is going to be next to kick the bucket.
Purple is struggling to stay alive.

This is heartbreaking!
The purple had no signs of anything. No flukes, no ich, no flashing.
Now he's dying before my eyes and I can't do anything to help.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's looking like im going to have a tank with no Tangs for a while.

Last edited:

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so sorry. I know how sad it is to lose fish that you have taken care of and had so much hope for

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry for the losses, the quarantine was matched to the salinity of the tank and same temperature I assume?

The quarantine itself didn't kill the fish, it sounds like they were in bad shape. Looking at the photos and your experience, I am fairy certain you're battling a gram negative bacterial infection. These are VERY fast-acting. I've had this wipe out 90% of fish in 24-48 hours, on several occasions -- in the past few months. They arrive out of nowhere. By the time you see marks on a fish it's often too late. Severe infections are running rampant in the fish distribution system right now. So much so that we are running almost every new fish through spectrogram and copper prior to being added to the display tanks. The losses have largely stopped since we've added this.

I would rather deal with velvet than gram negative bacterial infections. You have to start treating for them at the first behavioral symptom to save them, generally --- by the time you see marks it's often over. You can still save some by trying.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have salinity and temp matching bath? Did you FW Dip as well? How long? Something is amiss it sounds.

What did you dose in the bath? How much of it?

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bath was 10 gal saltwater with 1oz rally per directions for 75 minutes.
Freshwater dip 5 minutes.
Salinity and temp match.

They were good in the bath and good in the freshwater dip.

Yellow immediately went stiff in qt. Breathing but stiff, fins extended, not moving.
PB was good in qt for about 5 to 10 minutes then he was sulking in a corner on the bottom.
Naso was in bad shape from the get go.
Sailfin was swimming but starting to breathe hard. I moved him back to the display.
Purple was swimming but just stopped and just sat still st the filter intake so I moved him back to display too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown seems fine.
Lion seems fine.
Damsels seem fine.
They are still in qt tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some of the carnage
20181220_134408.jpg
20181220_134829.jpg
20181220_134841.jpg
20181220_101822.jpg
20181220_134607.jpg
20181220_134816.jpg
20181220_134928.jpg

20181220_134931.jpg

Fastpitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry for the losses, the quarantine was matched to the salinity of the tank and same temperature I assume?

The quarantine itself didn't kill the fish, it sounds like they were in bad shape. Looking at the photos and your experience, I am fairy certain you're battling a gram negative bacterial infection. These are VERY fast-acting. I've had this wipe out 90% of fish in 24-48 hours, on several occasions -- in the past few months. They arrive out of nowhere. By the time you see marks on a fish it's often too late. Severe infections are running rampant in the fish distribution system right now. So much so that we are running almost every new fish through spectrogram and copper prior to being added to the display tanks. The losses have largely stopped since we've added this.

I would rather deal with velvet than gram negative bacterial infections. You have to start treating for them at the first behavioral symptom to save them, generally --- by the time you see marks it's often over. You can still save some by trying.

Can a bacterial infection really come from no where? I would have thought you need some sort of underlying stress event like a parasite, or poor water conditions or................something.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I am so sorry for you loosing your tangs! I was following along keeping my fingers crossed for you! Know how heart breaking it is. You are in great hands on here for help. Back in June I lost some long time residents to what I think was a gram negative bacterial infection, just because it was so fast. Lost a captive bred Singapore Angel, a bi color Angel, and a Midas blenny. I have had all three for several months. I didn't replace them though. Now I just have a tank full of Wrasses. My Wrasses were not affected. I feel your pain for sure. I am keeping my fingers crossed for your other finned critters!

By the way.....I am also so amazed at how everyone on here comes together with all of their experience and knowledge to help!!! I love it! [emoji16]

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back