OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 125gal that is set up as a freshwater tank.
maybe I could break it down, put those fish in my 46 bowfront and use it for QT.
What would I need to do to make this happen?
How do I get copper OUT the tank after QT time?

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hold up...

125 gallons is an AWFUL LOT of water to treat! That's a LOT of meds!!!
Please advise.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, time for some guidance please.

I got the 40 breeder. It's filling with ro/di as I type this.
I have a Aqueon Quiet flow 55/75 hob filter (took carbon media out)
Tetra 60gal air pump and air stone.
2 8oz bottles of bio spira (had them on hand)
2 8oz stability (had them on hand)
About 8oz micro bacter7 (had it on hand)

This is a list of the med I have.

Metroplex
Kanaplex
Furan-2
Focus (not a med)
Ruby reef Rally
Copper safe (on the way)
Empty bucket for freshwater dip and/or rally bath.

How EXACTLY do I proceed?

Im pretty sure I will have clarifying questions after the directions are given so please bare with me and have patience with me.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im thinking...

90 minute bath in ruby reef rally
Then
5 minute freshwater dip
Then
Into qt with the trifecta of meds for 14 days
Then
50% water change
Then
2 rounds of prazipro
Then
50% water change
Then
Copper safe (don't know how long or how much)
Then
50% water change
Then
Wait it out for the 72 days to be up
Then
Return healthy ich free fish to display tank which is ich free from being fallow for 72 days.

Is this about right?

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a useful thread about "ich eradication" versus "ich management". Your selected fish will determine what will or will not work. The odds are almost zero that a powder blue can live in ich management even short-term (more than a few months).

This is simply just not true.

I have a powder blue and cbb in my 180 that I know for sure has had ich. I never qt a fish in over 10 years and never will. I’ve kept lots of “expert” fish including my faves: powders blues and browns, blonde naso tangs.

A healthy fish will NOT die from ich.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a small powder brown, huge hippo, big sail fin, and medium purple in a tank with ich for at least 3 years doing great

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a small powder brown, huge hippo, big sail fin, and medium purple in a tank with ich for at least 3 years doing great

Yup gotta love the “know it all” r2r “experts” with no credentials other than they been keeping fish for “x” period time and post on a forum. No masters, doctorate, published studies, etc. lol

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a useful thread about "ich eradication" versus "ich management". Your selected fish will determine what will or will not work. The odds are almost zero that a powder blue can live in ich management even short-term (more than a few months).

This is simply just not true.

I have a powder blue and cbb in my 180 that I know for sure has had ich. I never qt a fish in over 10 years and never will. I’ve kept lots of “expert” fish including my faves: powders blues and browns, blonde naso tangs.

A healthy fish will NOT die from ich.
Naso tangs are a different genus of fish and I too have kept several in ich management tanks. I’m guessing you read none of that article?

I’m not saying one or two powder blue tangs haven’t lived in ich management systems. I’m saying that suggesting that this is statistically relevant likelihood, or even remotely likely is reckless.

For every “success” I suspect a hundred or more fail. I have a plethora of experience with ich management, and trying to keep these types of tangs in these environments. I’m not an intermediate hobbyist. I like to think that I know what I’m talking about. People can choose for themselves whether they value my expertise/experience.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup gotta love the “know it all” r2r “experts” with no credentials other than they been keeping fish for “x” period time and post on a forum. No masters, doctorate, published studies, etc. lol
Inversely, I’d be interested in your published literature and education relevant to the matter?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im thinking...

90 minute bath in ruby reef rally
Then
5 minute freshwater dip
Then
Into qt with the trifecta of meds for 14 days
Then
50% water change
Then
2 rounds of prazipro
Then
50% water change
Then
Copper safe (don't know how long or how much)
Then
50% water change
Then
Wait it out for the 72 days to be up
Then
Return healthy ich free fish to display tank which is ich free from being fallow for 72 days.

Is this about right?
Yes. This is a good course of action. I would suggest 30 days in copper power (coppersafe varies too much per bottle in potency) if you are keeping them in the original quarantine. If you have a second sterile quarantine that shares no equipment from the original, this can be reduced to 14 days.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inversely, I’d be interested in your published literature and education relevant to the matter?

I’m just a guy with a sw tank that’s kept a plethora of tangs, never qt’d a fish and never had issues with disease/parasites with about 11 years or so in the hobby.

I don’t go around spitting opinions as facts and fish are doomed when it’s been proven time and time again, they are not.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just a guy with a sw tank that’s kept a plethora of tangs, never qt’d a fish and never had issues with disease/parasites with about 11 years or so in the hobby.

I don’t go around spitting opinions as facts and fish are doomed when it’s Ben proven time and time again, they are not.
That’s what I assumed.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don’t go around spitting opinions as facts and fish are doomed when it’s Ben proven time and time again, they are not.

No need to try and scare off the hobbyist with opinions. Just offer assistance and help the OP without the drama. Geesh

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but your own anecdotal and completely unsubstantiated experience means even less. So you don't quarantine 'and never have in 10 years, never will, etc.' Bully for you! Far far more people lose healthy fish all the time to overwhelming infection because they didn't quarantine. Your experience isn't typical, and to suggest that not quarantining is a good idea to anyone is a real disservice to the hobby. :)

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh so your one of us. @4FordFamily has about 14 years in the hobby. 10 or so practicing ich management.

The last 4 practicing proper quarantine.

I keep 8 tangs. So I'm just a guy with a SW tank as well.

I'm guessing you run a massive UV, diatom filter or oxydator too. If you are adding fish regularly it will implode eventually just read the threads in this forum regularly.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You think you can do better, step up to the plate. Point us to your peer-reviewed journals and published studies. Or just write up an article detailing your system, methods, etc.; anecdotal evidence is fine too. Show us how it’s done.

But don’t come on here criticizing the fine people who volunteer their time & energy to helping others in this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back