Possible velvet irradication. Many warnings inside.

FFJB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question. My tank is fallow except for a blue star fish. Can I do the bleach method with the star fish in the tank? If not can i put the starfish in my qt tank. It's a 74. It has cupramine in iynif course as I'm fighting an ich outbreak.

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the greatest things about this dosing is that you could use de-chlorinator if you over dose or start to see ill effects....no other med is this easy to remove that I am aware of.

OP
OP
BoneXriffic

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question. My tank is fallow except for a blue star fish. Can I do the bleach method with the star fish in the tank? If not can i put the starfish in my qt tank. It's a 74. It has cupramine in iynif course as I'm fighting an ich outbreak.
This could work. My star survived it fine. But its important to note I am the only person I am aware of to try this. So putting fish in prior to the effective date of the fallow could cause reinfection. It was a trial method as i had no qt. But as a secondary treatment to help ensure success this is a great idea. Imo

FFJB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could work. My star survived it fine. But its important to note I am the only person I am aware of to try this. So putting fish in prior to the effective date of the fallow could cause reinfection. It was a trial method as i had no qt. But as a secondary treatment to help ensure success this is a great idea. Imo
I just don't want the bleach to kill my huge starfish but I'm unsure if cupramine is safe for starfish. I'm caught at the moment. I plan in dosing bleach to rid the tank of dinos

OP
OP
BoneXriffic

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O
I just don't want the bleach to kill my huge starfish but I'm unsure if cupramine is safe for starfish. I'm caught at the moment. I plan in dosing bleach to rid the tank of dinos
Mine was fine but results could vary. I cant guarentee it. Also i dont think culpramine is safe for stars.

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting method, hope I saw it before i ripped my tank or else I would've tried it. Just for future reference, the dosage is over what period of time, is it similar to normal medication durations, like 30 days?

OP
OP
BoneXriffic

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting method, hope I saw it before i ripped my tank or else I would've tried it. Just for future reference, the dosage is over what period of time, is it similar to normal medication durations, like 30 days?
I ran it for 6 months. 30 days would be adequit, less even. If it worked i would say a week. But its impossible to tell without further testing

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran it for 6 months. 30 days would be adequit, less even. If it worked i would say a week. But its impossible to tell without further testing

I have a dosing pump, so would it be good idea to dose 5ml twice per day and keep dosing (I have 140 gallons with around 120 gallons of water, but just to be on safe side since dosing pumps are not that accurate)
Any updates on the results, any outbreaks during dosing? Will be interesting to try and treat known infected fish and see if they get healed or not, so far I assume there is no 100% sure results.

OP
OP
BoneXriffic

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sold off the tangs months ago to lfs. All three tangs are in his show tank tonthis day happy and healthy. I still have the original cliwn, a new clown, goby and trigger. All with no ill effect from bleach. Nit one sign of disease since

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sold off the tangs months ago to lfs. All three tangs are in his show tank tonthis day happy and healthy. I still have the original cliwn, a new clown, goby and trigger. All with no ill effect from bleach. Nit one sign of disease since

Thats promising. I will definitely try it out and join in with the experiment.

marinelife

SaltGeek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see in another thread they only recommend 1ml per 132 gallons of water. any thoughts on this? I would add 10+ml vs 3ml
My tank is 375 gallon

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see in another thread they only recommend 1ml per 132 gallons of water. any thoughts on this? I would add 10+ml vs 3ml
My tank is 375 gallon

I read that the safe level of chlorine for fish is 0.003 ppm after that they start feeling the effect and stress out, the dosing recommended is 0.003 ml/gal, which is 0.003 ml/~3.7 l, so thats less than 0.001 ppm so fish won't be stressed by it. Im not sure if there are any free chlorines in sea water that occur naturally, especially that chloride salts make up most of the salt in the water, but I assume these will evaporate too making it safe. Ill leave it for the experts though.

FFJB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that the safe level of chlorine for fish is 0.003 ppm after that they start feeling the effect and stress out, the dosing recommended is 0.003 ml/gal, which is 0.003 ml/~3.7 l, so thats less than 0.001 ppm so fish won't be stressed by it. Im not sure if there are any free chlorines in sea water that occur naturally, especially that chloride salts make up most of the salt in the water, but I assume these will evaporate too making it safe. Ill leave it for the experts though.
I thought the dose was .003/ % of bleach x gallons in tank.

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So been searching the web for something that might help me control my problem. I've got a 10 ft 560 gallon tank full of rock and coral and dam ich. I know from experience that fish will overtime become immune and I'm just looking to buy some time. Do you guys think that dosing bleach will actually help some? I know this isn't a cure and I know all the cures for anyone who wants to troll so don't go copying and paisting all the know cures please I've read them all. I think I found a new group of guys to hang out with. I love breaking new ground and you guys are pioneers. I'd love to beat those little suckers!

OP
OP
BoneXriffic

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So been searching the web for something that might help me control my problem. I've got a 10 ft 560 gallon tank full of rock and coral and dam ich. I know from experience that fish will overtime become immune and I'm just looking to buy some time. Do you guys think that dosing bleach will actually help some? I know this isn't a cure and I know all the cures for anyone who wants to troll so don't go copying and paisting all the know cures please I've read them all. I think I found a new group of guys to hang out with. I love breaking new ground and you guys are pioneers. I'd love to beat those little suckers!
Ich is questionable. But pissible. Its worth a shot, but only to someone understanding the risk. Which theres tons of. I think the dosing time would need to be a good while if it does work.

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm willing to give anything a shot at this point. Fish seam to be Getting worst. So I dosed 15ml as a test run. Watched the tank for nearly 1/2 hour and nothing really changed. I'll do another dose at bedtime and see how it goes. If all is well I'll ramp up slowly. Realistically I've likely got about 550 gallons of water in my system so max dose would be .003divide by .05 x550 =33ml. Seems like a lot!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 143 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back