Proper Powerhead Placement

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wondering about mine too. I have dual returns and two oceanpulse duo powerheads?

It looks like everything blows around, they alternate every 6 minutes. I'm pretty sure I have dead spots behind my rocks. The top of the water does ripple.

It looks like the tank is still very lightly stocked, so it's not too late to take whatever measures you want to fix the detritus situation.

What are the tank's dimensions?

What about the pumps? Price looks nice, but while models do you have? Do they have the power to deliver significant flow to the front glass? From reading about them, you might be better off with side-placement so you can aim them directly at the front of your rocks.

If flow still isn't strong enough to keep detritus out of the back, you'll either need a supplemental pump back there, or to restack your rocks to allow more flow in back.

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like the tank is still very lightly stocked, so it's not too late to take whatever measures you want to fix the detritus situation.

What are the tank's dimensions?

What about the pumps? Price looks nice, but while models do you have? Do they have the power to deliver significant flow to the front glass? From reading about them, you might be better off with side-placement so you can aim them directly at the front of your rocks.

If flow still isn't strong enough to keep detritus out of the back, you'll either need a supplemental pump back there, or to restack your rocks to allow more flow in back.
Yes it's a new setup, everything except the powerheads sump and skimmer came from a 90g system.

I an still adjusting the scape as I go, most of the large rocks are set pretty solid so I'm nervous about moving those.

Its IPX8 says 160 gph. Those came with the 110 tank.

I think I tried them at the ends of the tank but the cords woulsmt reach, but I will try again

60Lx18Wx24H

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So that's like 112 gallons, right?

If those power heads are only 160 GPH then they are for a nano size tank. You should plan to upgrade as soon as possible.

As for the rocks, maybe just remove the center rocks and see if that makes much difference?

It looks like you have more than enough rock.

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So that's like 112 gallons, right?

If those power heads are only 160 GPH then they are for a nano size tank. You should plan to upgrade as soon as possible.

As for the rocks, maybe just remove the center rocks and see if that makes much difference?

It looks like you have more than enough rock.
Lol typo sry 1600..

And mostly just rearranging the lower rocks

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even 1600's is probably still minimal since it looks like their flow is supposed to be very widely spread.

It could be fine while the tank is 99% open though. Once it starts filling in with corals, you'll probably need to add another pump of some kind.

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even 1600's is probably still minimal since it looks like their flow is supposed to be very widely spread.

It could be fine while the tank is 99% open though. Once it starts filling in with corals, you'll probably need to add another pump of some kind.
Thx for the input, I do plan on upgrading as things fill in and the need arises so I will keep my eyes open.

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After many attempts at flow, I finally nailed it for my tank, IMO.

Just now setting up a 180 and going to try and hit the sweet spot again with a Gyre and a couple other power heads.

Looks like you did get it right. Love seeing the movement of the corals. That is what I am hoping to achieve once I'm done with the rockscape. I'll just keep moving them around until I get it right. Of course like it was already mentioned, I may have to move them again depending on coral growth.

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you did get it right. Love seeing the movement of the corals. That is what I am hoping to achieve once I'm done with the rockscape. I'll just keep moving them around until I get it right. Of course like it was already mentioned, I may have to move them again depending on coral growth.

My coral growth has exploded recently, between my new MH bulb and CO2 scrubber. Sps and zoas have gone nuts.

Hope I can get it this right on the 180....

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After many attempts at flow, I finally nailed it for my tank, IMO.

Just now setting up a 180 and going to try and hit the sweet spot again with a Gyre and a couple other power heads.

What are you running, pump wise and settings?
Just setup my 250 a month ago and still tweaking it

G8trBait16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mcarroll Well was finally able to catch to hawkfish. I was about to go to my local fishing shop to get a really small hook, when finally the hawkfish went into the trap and I was able to close the door. He is at my LFS waiting to go to a new home. Also I moved my MP40's to my back glass, basically one on each side of the center brace and about 2-3in from the water line. Thank you for all the help!

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what kind of hawkfish and why didn't he work out?

G8trBait16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a pigmy hawkfish, I loved him until I caught him eating my 1 year old cleaner shrimp. Daughters were upset and wanted another cleaner shrimp, but wasn't going to spend the money on another one until the hawkfish was out and sold back to the LFS.

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok, yeah those don't do too well together. I like my longnose hawkfish, but wanted to make sure yours didn't develop a taste for your corals.

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my powerheads to the sides and noticed changes almost immediately. The zoas? Seemed to open up and perk up along with the fish too. Still needs some adjusting and will keep moving rocks around, have plans lol.

I did my water test tonight and amonia is between .25-.50ppm and nitrate 5-10. Is it possible I shook up dead spots or maybe I did the tests wrong before?

I know these numbers aren't dangerous but it's the first time I've seen anything show up in those tests.

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0117171933_HDR.jpeg

andrew james

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if anyone else runs theirs all from the center. I use 4 Jebao RW 8 all from the center controlled by my Apex. veryh random flow. While I feel this setup is successful the tank is only 3 months old So I'm looking for older tanks with success using this format.
Vr5kw2b.jpg

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if anyone else runs theirs all from the center. I use 4 Jebao RW 8 all from the center controlled by my Apex. veryh random flow. While I feel this setup is successful the tank is only 3 months old So I'm looking for older tanks with success using this format.
Vr5kw2b.jpg
Your scape and tank look nice!

Joel Franco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever ran two mp40s on the same side of the tank facing the overflow? I am having issues with sediments sitting on the top of the water and only being pushed around. I have a 80gallon 4ft shallow tank. I was wondering if I put both on the same side if it would eliminate all of the floating stuff on the top of the water.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 18.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 51.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.0%
Back