Pros vs Cons: Deep Sand Bed vs Shallow Sand Bed

Deep Sand Bed vs Shallow Sand Bed: If you had to choose which would you choose?

• Deep Sand Bed

Votes: 125 38.8%
  • Shallow Sand Bed

Votes: 197 61.2%

• Total voters

ManOfSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems that after reading the resources posted here that the ideal setup for biological filtration is a DSB. Is there a way to establish that same level of biological filtration with a SSB? I like the idea of having a relatively sustainable environment that would allow me to focus more on the aesthetics more than the cleaning.

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if I understand the question? The difference between a SSB and a DSB (I have both right now) is the SSB needs constant cleaning, the DSB never needs cleaning and is always nice a clean. I'm in the process of adding more sand to change the constant pain of the SSB tank.

Bry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So.. Those of you with DSBs, do you have your live rock setting on the glass bottom or elevated by setting on top of a base/support of some sort?

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to use base rock on the glass under the sand for extra stability - that way the bottom won't shift from sand movement and potentially collapse.

ManOfSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if I understand the question? The difference between a SSB and a DSB (I have both right now) is the SSB needs constant cleaning, the DSB never needs cleaning and is always nice a clean. I'm in the process of adding more sand to change the constant pain of the SSB tank.

Apologies - I was super unclear. I'll reiterate by going off of your answer. The DSB never (or seldom) needs cleaning due to the biological filtration (all the good bacteria that is able to grow in that depth of substrate plus maybe some sand critters) right? And the SSB needs constant cleaning possibly because the conditions are less than ideal for biological filtration as a result having to clean it manually more often (Please correct me if I'm wrong - brand new to the hobby and trying to get some understanding of how things work) right? So my question was, can you make a SSB setup have that type of biological filtration that you get from a DSB? The reason I ask is because I like the idea of a SSB in that you have more room to put stuff and it makes for a better display (seeing more cool stuff and less bland sand)

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An ideal deep sand bed hosts a huge colony of microfauna and denitrifying bacteria. With a shallow bed, those microcritters that help beak down waste and keep the bed "stirred" will usually be eaten to extinction, and the denitrifying bacteria - if they even manage to survive - will not be able to do a good job, as they need low-oxygen conditions to do their work of turning nitrate into nitrogen gas. To keep a DSB working properly, though, the tiny animals need to be replenished regularly.

A shallow bed is not necessarily bad, but it generally needs to be stirred occasionally to kick up the trapped detritus, and you lose the DSB benefits.

Last edited:

ManOfSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent! Sounds like I'm on the right track. So in other words it is not possible for a SSB to sustain proper biological filtration? If that's the case, it's a DSB for me.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent! Sounds like I'm on the right track. So in other words it is not possible for a SSB to sustain proper biological filtration? If that's the case, it's a DSB for me.

I wouldn't say it's impossible, but it's highly difficult at best.

You can do without it, as the rock will contain some denitrifiers, but not the way a deep sand bed does.

I can't remember what it was, but there's a website where you can buy infauna for a DSB.

Don't add a sand sifter fish or sand sifter star. They will consume the creatures more or less essential for proper bed function.

ManOfSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't say it's impossible, but it's highly difficult at best.

You can do without it, as the rock will contain some denitrifiers, but not the way a deep sand bed does.

I can't remember what it was, but there's a website where you can buy infauna for a DSB.

Don't add a sand sifter fish or sand sifter star. They will consume the creatures more or less essential for proper bed function.

Duly Noted! I am not a fan of highly difficult lol so DSB gets my vote. Thanks for the intel.

TriggerThis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4-5" DSB in my tank. It ended up being almost $250 in sand. What I do notice from it is that I was able to throw how ever much of whatever I wanted in the tank and it stays rock solid on water params and bio overload never crossed my mind.
Also note to people wanting a DSB, you can't have sand sifting anything in the tank. They will eat all the benefits of the sand bed.
No Gobys, most star fish, urchins, not even some wrasses that will eat the sand critters.
And I like the deeper sand look, the cross section of the sand gives you even more to look at.
va3ysu2e.jpg

-
Here you can see it better
y2ynute2.jpg

Last edited:

ManOfSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's an amazing reef. My wife just looked over and was like "I want our reef to look like that!" Lol. So how is the maintenance ?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks, I have a DSB and I did the unthinkable in ignorance. Last year when I downsized from my 90g I kept about 4" of my sandbed and just added another half inch on top. I was thinking if the majority of anaerobic bacteria died that maybe some would survive and slowly repopulate. I recently was told that was absolutely wrong! Now my tank has been up over a year and seems to be running well and stable. The sand looks healthy with creature tunnels, and not black or oozy looking where I can see. The scape is really nice, so I hate to tear it down if its not dangerous. I'm ok if it not functioning in nitrate reduction since nitrates are not a problem for me, and its only a home for worms and pods. Am I flirting with disaster?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 47 40.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back