Pros vs Cons: Deep Sand Bed vs Shallow Sand Bed

Deep Sand Bed vs Shallow Sand Bed: If you had to choose which would you choose?

• Deep Sand Bed

Votes: 125 38.8%
  • Shallow Sand Bed

Votes: 197 61.2%

• Total voters

ManOfSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright alright let's lighten up. One thing this thread makes very clear is that there are tons of idiosyncrasies in regards to substrate maintenance that has worked well for some and not so much for others. It's good to get different views on this stuff. Be constructive!

If you start with dry sand there's nothing in the tank to keep it healthy or anything and it will go downhill quick.

Doesn't a dry environment become a live environment eventually? Is it impossible to reap the benefits of a DSB unless you start out with live sand? I've ordered dry fine sand but ill be using all live rock. Going off of Whys Alives post I'm hopefully assuming im still in good shape!

DSP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright alright let's lighten up. One thing this thread makes very clear is that there are tons of idiosyncrasies in regards to substrate maintenance that has worked well for some and not so much for others. It's good to get different views on this stuff. Be constructive!

Doesn't a dry environment become a live environment eventually? Is it impossible to reap the benefits of a DSB unless you start out with live sand? I've ordered dry fine sand but ill be using all live rock. Going off of Whys Alives post I'm hopefully assuming im still in good shape!

Why's alive was correct and Your correct the dry sand will become live and you made a good purchase,

Last edited:

DSP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And as far as clean up crews. The nassarius and cerith snails are fine and good Bc they keep the top stirred a bit and serpent stars and lenkias are fine. All grazing snails are fine. And hermits

And finally I would strongly urge you to start the DSB with nothing but the carribsea straight from the ocean live sand. This will give you all the right bacteria and animals from the start to keep the sand healthy. If you start with dry sand there's nothing in the tank to keep it healthy or anything and it will go downhill quick.

That sand has no beneficial critters in it to help a deep sand bed.. It's called live sand because of the bacteria it comes with not the critters, Most people even question the bacteria it claims it has because it sits on a shelf for so long, Dry sand is the best way to go as you get more for the money and it will have everything the "live sand" has in a matter of weeks-months.I mean it's fine to use the Carib sea live sand but it's not more beneficial then dry sand will be that's why the majority just start with dry.

Last edited:

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right. You're going to have to buy some critters for it or get lucky with live rock that has them (though the rock's not really going to contain enough for a strong population.)

DSP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to what Eienna said and you could look around and get some true live sand, Not the stuff that's at the fish stores in a bag,True live sand can get exspensive though lol but ya don't need to much to help seed a sand bed.

Last edited:

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to what Eienna said and you could look around and get some true live sand, Not the stuff that's at the fish stores in a bag,True live sand can get exspensive though lol.

Everything good seems to cost a fortune XD

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone in the inland empire or riverside counties in CA feel like splitting an order from ipsf.com? They have a lot of what's needed but the quantity requirements and shipping make it a bit prohibitive for me.

TriggerThis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok how about this...
Buy majority dry sand for cost savings and as many as you can swing of the straight from the ocean sand. (You can't convince me that there's only bacteria in it and nothing else) THEN if your lucky and trusting for a cherry on top get sand from an existing tank (preferably one of your own tanks) and put over that.
THEN put nice seasoned, established live rock for the scape. I think that will be for sure a winning combo and is practically exactly what I did.

I'm sure you could get by with less but everyone knows what cutting corners to save a buck gets you in this hobby.

Last edited:

DSP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok how about this...
Buy majority dry sand for cost savings and as many as you can swing of the straight from the ocean sand. (You can't convince me that there's only bacteria in it and nothing else) THEN if your lucky and trusting for a cherry on top get sand from an existing tank (preferably one of your own tanks) and put over that.
THEN put nice seasoned, established live rock for the scape. I think that will be for sure a winning combo and is practically exactly what I did.

I bet you I can Cory! Lol, How do live critters stay alive in a bag of sand for months and months with no oxygen or food?

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm probably going to use all dry sand and rock in my upgrade and then add only what I want. I am totally soured on buying live rock after this terrible aiptasia invasion I've had. I'm reusing the rock from my 50g but they are getting acid-bathed and re-cycled first.

TriggerThis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet you I can Cory! Lol, How do live critters stay alive in a bag of sand for months and months with no oxygen or food?

The same way God made Eve out of a piece of Adams rib.
Just read the bag and don't ask questions!

TriggerThis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm probably going to use all dry sand and rock in my upgrade and then add only what I want. I am totally soured on buying live rock after this terrible aiptasia invasion I've had. I'm reusing the rock from my 50g but they are getting acid-bathed and re-cycled first.

And that's the down side of established rock. The pest factor. Same goes for sand from someone else's tank. Russian Roulette at best.

TriggerThis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And whys alives that was the best wrote up I've seen so far. Great job.
Answers a lot of these questions

chicagobears2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have about a 2-3 inch sb with some cyno on it, can I add sand over that to bring it up to a dsb a little at a time of course....it's a 120 gal

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to read your source(s) and see what it says :)

Okay. "Book of Coral Propagation" by Anthony Calfo, page 65, "Sand between 1/2 inch and three inches is usually not deep enough to reduce nitrate and yet too deep to be fully aerobic."

Intricateart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a deep sand bed (6-8" it varies) in our 150gal and 6" with macro beds in our refugium (55gal). Fish get fed often and I don't even check nitrates anymore. The micro life is amazing. Gas buildup never happens since the bed "burps" itself releasing trapped bubbles.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back