Question?

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I would say yes but do a water change ASAP and if he's alive tomorrow ask your LFS about filter. Don't forget the special blend and nite out II. I honestly cannot stress the water change enough. I would 12 gallons. Nite out II will reduce ammonia and nitrites, special blend is good bacteria that is essential for smaller tanks to help keep water nice and healthy. You have a small hang on back (HOB) filter?

Looks like a Biocube so it'd be all in one. All I use in my 29g is the stock filter media cartridge, the stock sponge, and a bag of carbon in the second bay right before the return pump. This plus weekly 2 gallon water changes should be more than sufficient.

OP
OP
Apenagos33

Apenagos33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I would say yes but do a water change ASAP and if he's alive tomorrow ask your LFS about filter. Don't forget the special blend and nite out II. I honestly cannot stress the water change enough. I would 12 gallons. Nite out II will reduce ammonia and nitrites, special blend is good bacteria that is essential for smaller tanks to help keep water nice and healthy. You have a small hang on back (HOB) filter?
Thanks for the info! I have to wait until tomorrow to get more water, I used all mi e yesterday for a water change

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To sum it
Tank is 3 months old and is barley out of cycle or still cycling.
Have been running tests?
ammonia
nitrites
nitrates
phosphates
Ca
Mg
alk
PH
That information could answer a lot of questions
The fish is obviously stressed, you could try vitamin c for the stress, feed some baby brine shrimp. If the fish eats, that a good sign. If the fish has labored breathing and is in the same way, it pretty much a goner and get out of the tank.

Reef Ryder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a Biocube so it'd be all in one. All I use in my 29g is the stock filter media cartridge, the stock sponge, and a bag of carbon in the second bay right before the return pump. This plus weekly 2 gallon water changes should be more than sufficient.
Agreed but I think he has just a simple 'non reef' set up, just a sponge filter or so..

Reef Ryder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To sum it
Have been running tests?
ammonia
nitrites
nitrates
phosphates
Ca
Mg
alk
PH
The fish is obviously stressed, you could try vitamin c for the stress, feed some baby brine shrimp. If the fish eats, that a good sign. If the fish has labored breathing and is in the same way, it pretty much a goner and get out of the tank.
Agreed! I missed the 3 months part.

Peter Blue Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe he just hit his head. Seriously. I'd be doing the same thing. Physical damage is the most common thing that people overlook when it comes to illness.

OP
OP
Apenagos33

Apenagos33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To sum it
Have been running tests?
ammonia
nitrites
nitrates
phosphates
Ca
Mg
alk
PH
Yes I have been running test, the guy at the LFS also gave me the water and live rock from there established tanks, he also tested the water before I put any fish and said the parameters where all ready and capable to handle fish. The other 4 fish have been great for over a month I just added the two clowns one is doing great the other one just seems to be sick or shocked or stressed

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have been running test, the guy at the LFS also gave me the water and live rock from there established tanks, he also tested the water before I put any fish and said the parameters where all ready and capable to handle fish. The other 4 fish have been great for over a month I just added the two clowns one is doing great the other one just seems to be sick or shocked or stressed

Regardless if the rock and water are from an establish system, you are still going to have a cycle. Then what are your parameters?

Adding that many fish to a new system that quick, dose not let the system adapt the bio load.:)

OP
OP
Apenagos33

Apenagos33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless if the rock and water are from an establish system, you are still going to have a cycle. Then what are your parameters?

Adding that many fish to a new system that quick, dose not let the system adapt the bio load.:)
Ph is 8.1, zero ammonia, zero nitrite, 15 nitrate, 8.2 alkalinity. I'm still new to this and learning and relied on the LFS info and input. I don't plan on adding anymore fish. I guess will see how the clown ends up. Any recommendations for what I should do at this point?

Reef Ryder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To sum it
Have been running tests?
ammonia
nitrites
nitrates
phosphates
Ca
Mg
alk
PH
Than again it's only 29 gallons, 3 mos should be plenty of time

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph is 8.1, zero ammonia, zero nitrite, 15 nitrate, 8.2 alkalinity. I'm still new to this and learning and relied on the LFS info and input. I don't plan on adding anymore fish. I guess will see how the clown ends up. Any recommendations for what I should do at this point?
Thank you for the parameters:). Looks like the high nitrates are causing your algae issues. high nutrients (Po4's No3's) tend to case algae. Water changes, running some carbon, and watching how much you are feeding will help a great deal. Lights are another algae grower. Cheap lights or to much white in the spectrum help algae growth.

As far as the clown, if it not laboring with breathing give it a shot. I have had three clowns that have not made it in my 2.2 year old current system. Two passed, and one was kill by my present Maroon. Were these two mated or just two pulled out of a tank? What I am getting are is some clowns that are not mated, just do not make it.

OP
OP
Apenagos33

Apenagos33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the parameters:). Looks like the high nitrates are causing your algae issues. high nutrients (Po4's No3's) tend to case algae. Water changes, running some carbon, and watching how much you are feeding will help a great deal. Lights are another algae grower. Cheap lights or to much white in the spectrum help algae growth.

As far as the clown, if it not laboring with breathing give it a shot. I have had three clowns that have not made it in my 2.2 year old current system. Two passed, and one was kill by my present Maroon. Were these two mated or just two pulled out of a tank? What I am getting are is some clowns that are not mated, just do not make it.
I really appreciate the info, the two clowns are very small and where pulled from the same holding tank, I don't believe they where paired as there where 10 others in there. I'm currently using the coralife leds i limited the white light to 6 hours on the timer.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Than again it's only 29 gallons, 3 mos should be plenty of time

Agree, but that is still a lot of fish to add so quickly:). A 29gl system, is less for giving then larger system.

OP
OP
Apenagos33

Apenagos33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, but that is still a lot of fish to add so quickly:). A 29gl system, is less for giving then larger system.
Good to know, I'll make sure to not add fish for awhile and enjoy the tank as is for some time!

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate the info, the two clowns are very small and where pulled from the same holding tank, I don't believe they where paired as there where 10 others in there. I'm currently using the coralife leds i limited the white light to 6 hours on the timer.

Today I added a new half the size of my present maroon after waiting 8 months. I just checked about an hour ago expecting to find another murder, and the sally lightfoot crab covering up the crime, but instead the clowns paired up and were sleeping in the anemones:) You could try a BTA anemone for the clowns, but lets see if this guy makes it first:)

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, that is hard to do, when you have the reefing bug:D

OP
OP
Apenagos33

Apenagos33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, that is hard to do, when you have the reefing bug:D
It really is a addicting hobby lol and that's pretty awesome, I heard it's pretty tough to get the clowns to pair adding them at separate times

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 14 15.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 19 20.4%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 55 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.4%
Back