Red Sea NO3:POX4X Real Time Review.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D Don't feed the troll

There's definitely more than one troll here...

If you're referring to me, I think the meds have gone to your head. :)
Make your own thread if you're serious, but you're doing nothing than detracting from a legitimate thread and probably making the OP feel like an idiot for even posting.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy,
Anyway we can translate the amount of vinegar needed in say 120 G, to what is equivalent in the ocean?

Yes and no. The amount of acetate in pore water of sediments is about 1-50 uM, but you may have that in your tank sediments even with no dosing, because it comes from the breakdown of many organics. That amount corresponds to about 0.06 ppm (at 5 uM), or about 1.2 mL of vinegar per 1000 liters of aquarium water.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do agree that it happens in the ocean like Randy mentioned but why do we seem to be deficient in nitrogen rather than phosphates in the aquarium but that does not seem to happen in the ocean.

The surface ocean is often deficient in both nitrate and phosphate relative to most aquaria.

Surface nitrate is often below 0.1 ppm and surface phosphate is often below 0.005 ppm.

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's definitely more than one troll here...

If you're referring to me, I think the meds have gone to your head. :)
Make your own thread if you're serious, but you're doing nothing than detracting from a legitimate thread and probably making the OP feel like an idiot for even posting.
I don't feed the trolls sorry

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still in the hospital but managed to test phosphates, 6 days after switching back to diy nopx, and ... less than 0.003ppm PO4 (actually below LOD of Merck Spectrophotometer). I don't believe it is testing error - two test were done, and no transfer vessels are used to avoid contamination. Cyano is greatly reduced to less than 20% , water and glass are crystal clear and Ca, Alk consumption raised with 30%. Really dont have explanation what is happening. Tomorrow will try to organize nitrate test.

Do you know happened to nitrate during this switch?

The question is whether it was the chemical change or the amount dosed that caused the phosphate to rise.

And, of course, showing it to happen again would be even more convincing. :D

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy,
I am aware of the low nutrients in the ocean but in our aquarium we seem on the lower end of the nitrates and at times adding nitrates to bring the phosphates down . We seem to be going out of balance in the ratio . As with in the ocean the nitrogen and phosphorus seem to be in the same ratio consistently. I am aware the ocean can not be duplicated, but is there a possible theory behind the unconsistent ratio in our aquariums.

The surface ocean is often deficient in both nitrate and phosphate relative to most aquaria.

Surface nitrate is often below 0.1 ppm and surface phosphate is often below 0.005 ppm.

Fishpalace

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Red Sea Algae Management program arrived today and I was eager to get things setup. I read through the manual and got my game plan together. According to the directions. I would need to add 3 ml of the NO3:pO4X supplement for every 25 gallons. Since my aquarium is 45 gallons I figured a safe bet to start with would be 5 ml per day. I'm using my Jabeo 4 channel doser with 4 additional channels on the slave unit in order to dose 5 separate 1 ml doses every 4.5 hours per day. I also read on the instructions that it is recommended no to use in conjunction with phosphate removing media. So luckily enough my Innovate Marine Mini-Max reactor containing the AquaMaxx Granular Ferric Oxide was easy to remove by just pulling the reaction chamber out of the water. So now we wait until Saturday after my water change to see what my nitrate and phosphate levels looks like for the first week. I have also purchased the Red Sea Algae Management Pro Test Kit to use in conjunction for monitoring. Crossing my fingers for good results.

22957971645_b06ce7681e_c.jpg

R u still using nopox, if so how's it going?

Paul

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy,
I am aware of the low nutrients in the ocean but in our aquarium we seem on the lower end of the nitrates and at times adding nitrates to bring the phosphates down . We seem to be going out of balance in the ratio . As with in the ocean the nitrogen and phosphorus seem to be in the same ratio consistently. I am aware the ocean can not be duplicated, but is there a possible theory behind the unconsistent ratio in our aquariums.

Sorry, I misunderstood the point of the question.

The relative balance of N and P in the water will be the result of all inputs (mostly foods) and exports. In terms of exports, most reef tanks experience denitrification in low O2 regions, and some export a lot of its N that way. For that reason, IMO, our balance is often shifted to excess N export relative to P unless we specifically act to deal with it somehow.

In the ocean, there is a lot of denitrification in the sediments, but the water volume to sediment ratio is so vastly bigger that it doesn't have the same effect on the water column N levels as it does in our tanks where the live rock and sediment is rarely more than a foot or two away from any location.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't feed the trolls sorry

Sorry guy, but you're being quite unpleasant. You can consider other people "trolls" or whatever you like, but it doesn't change how you're acting.

Most people who can't logically debate, resort to calling others trolls. True story.

If anything, go make your own thread.

All you guys are doing, is taking someone's thread to push your own agenda. That's a pretty crappy thing to do.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...banter cut out...

All you guys are doing, is taking someone's thread to push your own agenda. That's a pretty crappy thing to do.

Normally I'd agree on threads being derailed but the original context of carbon dosing is still intact and has led to some very good discussions and sharing.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...new banter cut out.....

Title of the thread:
Red Sea NO3:pOX4X Real Time Review

Attempted conversations in the thread:
Nopox doesn't work
DIY carbon dosing is exactly the same (though this cannot be answered with our data thus far)

Don't act like I'm the jerk here. Or as the uneducated put it, the troll.
I chimed in with my experience of nopox and was basically told I'm full of crap.

The direction this thread has gone, has completely derailed and purposely been hijacked from the original subject matter. And I'm appalled at the complete disrespect coming from a moderator, and other individuals, on this "family forum".

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry guy, but you're being quite unpleasant. You can consider other people "trolls" or whatever you like, but it doesn't change how you're acting.

Most people who can't logically debate, resort to calling others trolls. True story.

If anything, go make your own thread.

Sorry I don't feed the trolls.

Do you know happened to nitrate during this switch?

The question is whether it was the chemical change or the amount dosed that caused the phosphate to rise.

And, of course, showing it to happen again would be even more convincing. :D

Nitrates today >0.5 ppm Salifert, highest number was 5-10 ppm Salifert (hard to see color difference). During that period I did not stopped aminoacid dosing (RS Reef Energy). Yea, this is the question and I'm curious to find answer too. Definitely there will be follow up experiment :D.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people are giving their experiences with NOPOX and related methods, which is a fine reason to continue this thread. That is the purpose of this forum: to understand what we do and why! Ongoing discussion of how and why the product works and what its pros and cons may be relative to other similar products are perfect topics for this forum.

The OP made a few posts last November, then moved to other threads months before any further debates ensued. I cannot see how such debates deterred posting of results during those months before the debates happened, so I do not see any problem.

Please note: personal attacks and any other posts in violation of the Terms of Service by anyone in this thread will not be tolerated.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The direction this thread has gone, has completely derailed and purposely been hijacked from the original subject matter. And I'm appalled at the complete disrespect coming from a moderator, and other individuals, on this "family forum".

I cannot imagine what posts of mine you consider disrespectful, but you should definitely press the Report this Post button if you believe you have a legit concern.

The owner of Reef2Reef takes issues of respect very seriously and attends to all such reported posts.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Title of the thread:
Red Sea NO3:pOX4X Real Time Review

... The direction this thread has gone, has completely derailed and purposely been hijacked from the original subject matter. And I'm appalled at the complete disrespect coming from a moderator, and other individuals, on this "family forum".

Complete disrespect...

And Randy, I'm not sure what else to say to you. You dodge points, make up statements, ignore even what Red Sea says about their product. Again, not sure what the drive is behind your attitude, whether it's monetary or egotistical, but if vinegar was the fix-all for our tanks, it would have been established long ago. If Nopox was the fix-all for our tanks, it would have been established long ago...

...Unnecessary inputs... ...But I already knew some people would discount that statement about tap water just to fit their own agenda. After all, I'm the ignorant, undeniably 'only here to argue' troll who has no sense of reason.

And from a different forum where you have been banned multiple times under a number of user names...

I'm not in the mood for your worthless comments!

You often bring up some interesting ideas, however, IMHO your delivery leaves a lot to be desired.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back