OP
OP
R

reefingbuddha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to stay at home today since my 10 pound terrier decided to hop up on the dining room table and eat 3 big pieces of pizza this morning. Shes doing alright but I figured its best if I watch her. So I got bored and took some pictures. I'll take some more of the tank and setup once the new lights comes in.

Here are some pictures of the little guys. They were along the back glass so I shot from behind. The glass was also a little dirty but I didn't want to scare them off by cleaning it.

DSC_3598.jpg

DSC_3531.jpg

DSC_3550.jpg

DSC_3604.jpg

DSC_3568.jpg

LegoZ81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She keeps that up and she will be your 20lbs Terrier :D

Nice fish shots!

OP
OP
R

reefingbuddha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D Her new name is Piggy.

My fish portrait abilities have suffered these past few months. I need to start shooting again.

Just found out the new lights are in town! The delivery company asked if next Wednesday was ok for delivery. Naturally I asked if I can come pick them up this afternoon. I'll have them by 4PM :D

LegoZ81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D Her new name is Piggy.

My fish portrait abilities have suffered these past few months. I need to start shooting again.

Just found out the new lights are in town! The delivery company asked if next Wednesday was ok for delivery. Naturally I asked if I can come pick them up this afternoon. I'll have them by 4PM :D

So what are the lights? I tried to go back and look but I did not see where you said what they were.

OP
OP
R

reefingbuddha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights arrived today but I haven't gotten a chance to take a picture. They were surprisingly light weight and looked to be of good quality.

I got a pair of 6x80w T5 ATI Sunpower units. They are definitely a lot brighter then the led's were, going to take some readings later on and will post the results.

OP
OP
R

reefingbuddha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently the bulb configuration is as follows.

Aqua Blue (ATI) - 1
Aqua Blue (ATI) - 2
Fiji Purple (Koralzucht) - 1
6500k Daylight (GE) - 1
Aqua Blue (ATI) - 2
Aqua Blue (ATI) - 1

Aqua Blue (ATI) - 4
Aqua Blue (ATI) - 3
6500k Daylight (GE) - 4
Fiji Purple (Koralzucht) - 4
Aqua Blue (ATI) - 3
Aqua Blue (ATI) - 4

That is front to back across the tank.

The numbers at the end correspond to the lights controller plug grouping. In the ATI fixtures 2 of the bulbs are on one ballast and 4 on the other, so that a transition can be accomplished.

My current lighting schedule is as follows

8AM - Light array 1 ON (Dawn Front Fixture)
8:45AM - Light array 3 ON (Dawn Back Fixture)
9:30AM - Light array 2 ON (Full Front Fixture)
10:15AM - Light array 4 ON (Full Back Fixture)
5:45PM - Light array 2 OFF (Full Front Fixture)
6:30PM - Light array 4 OFF (Full Back Fixture)
7:15PM - Light array 1 OFF (Dawn Front Fixture)
8PM - Light array 3 OFF (Dawn Back Fixture)

Only change I would like to make now is changing out one of the two "Dawn" bulbs out on each fixture for a pure actinic bulb. This is both to give more florescent pop and to dull the brightness of the light just a little.

Still need some moonlights as well. I was going to buy a couple of the stunner LED strips but got some information that they will be coming out with longer lengths soon which would end up costing less per foot then stringing together a bunch of shorter units.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

reefingbuddha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some par readings off of the fixture. I recorded highest value at each location. Interesting to note that these readings correspond closely to readings I took of my 400w 12k reeflux setup in my old tank.

TankT5ParReadings.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow pretty great par!

OP
OP
R

reefingbuddha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is 27" deep, probably 23-25" of that is water. The bulbs are 7-8" from the surface.

OP
OP
R

reefingbuddha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copepod populations in the tank are flourishing. The glass has hundreds of little white things scuttling about. I also added a test coral the other day to see what happens. 3 days in the coral is happy and looking great.

Ammonia: undetectable
Nitrates: undetectable
Nitrites: undetectable
Salinity: 1.023
Temp: 77.7-79 (no chiller required thus far as long as the room is around 72)
pH: 8.14-7.98 (hoping this will improve once I get my kalk stirrer and top-off up and running)

OP
OP
R

reefingbuddha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a quick video of the tank I took with my iphone. Looking forward to having more life in there.

Display from living room

Its been a week since adding the clownfish and no detectable ammonia, nitrites, nitrates so its time to move onto the next phase of fish introduction, the tangs.

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like your rock work. Nice and open so the fish can swim but enough space for corals, nice!

OP
OP
R

reefingbuddha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'm really happy with it. My main concern is that my rock work might be a little too open and the fish won't have enough private space to go and hide in.

We'll just have to see how things hold up as more fish are added.

I'm expecting a tang delivery tomorrow. Hope all goes well!

OP
OP
R

reefingbuddha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks

So four tangs ended up arriving today. It seems that the 3 yellow tangs have been delayed until tuesday. At least is 3 of the same so hopefully there will be less aggression towards them when I am them.

Arrived today
- two spot bristletooth tang
- Scopas tang
- Blue Hippo Tang
- Red Sea Sailfin Tang (substitute for the Caribbean blue tang)

They all arrived in perfect condition and were drip acclimated over two hours. They were then all added to the tank and fed immediately. All four tangs were gobbling up food almost instantly.

Everyone but the blue hippo tang are swimming around the tang together grazing on rock as they go. There was a little bit of fin showing between the scopas and the sailfin but no other signs of aggression. The blue hippo tang has been swimming around the tank trying to find which hole it wants to wedge itself into. I'm assuming its trying to find a place it feels safe. The blue tang in my last tank did the same and then slept in the same place every night for whole time the tank was setup. I think the hippo has found her favorite spot and is just wiggling in it.

So far so good! They are all of about equal size except for the bristletooth that's smaller.

LegoZ81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the hippos are weird for sure, mine hides in the branches of my digi. It actually hid in there and and got moved from the 125 to the 240 in there without me knowing :O whoops :D

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the pics it looks like from the front you can not see the other tank. Can you see the other tank if you are looking through it in person?

I just read you live in Winter Park. If you ever have the time I would love to see your setup in person. My be a little foward but your system looks awesome.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

reefingbuddha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be putting a cover over the back so you can't see the equipment room at some point. Its just easier for me to observe the fish right now with the back exposed.

Are you a member of ORCA? I sent you a PM.

OP
OP
R

reefingbuddha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a quick video of the tangs hanging out. They are still scared of the iphone so that's why I'm creeping up on them and they look ****** after a couple seconds. Quality sucks but its proof of life.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.5%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.0%
Back