OP
OP
R

reefingbuddha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got down drilling and placed about 40 pounds of liverock. It was very light for its size and good quality rock but didn't have enough channels through it. I then drilled a bunch of 1"- holes in the 4 big pieces I got so the smaller fish have a few more place to hide out and swim through. Once the water clears I'll post some pictures or a video.

Came home with the live rock to all 8 anthias being out in the open and doing great.

OP
OP
R

reefingbuddha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for some crappy video!

Proof of life, 2/27/2010

Front
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMi5aEQkLR4[/youtube]
Back
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGhuWzr1JN8[/youtube]

OP
OP
R

reefingbuddha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and some new pictures.

DSC_4142.jpg

DSC_4152.jpg

DSC_4165.jpg

DSC_4219.jpg

DSC_4231.jpg

DSC_4250.jpg

DSC_4333.jpg

DSC_4345.jpg

DSC_4358.jpg

OP
OP
R

reefingbuddha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its an absolute monster. I would say its almost 18" across and that is it all ruffled up. It was only about 8-10" in the store but has real opened up in its current spot.

Its larger then I had anticipated but I really like the look. Not the clownfish just have to go and hangout in it.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous gold flake!

How long have you had him? Treat for parasites? Looks happy and picking in the vids!

OP
OP
R

reefingbuddha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous gold flake!

How long have you had him? Treat for parasites? Looks happy and picking in the vids!

Thanks! He actually was a unplanned purchase which I usually try to avoid. A LFS got him in last last week and I felt bad for the little guy so I snagged him up after doing a little bit of research online and checking him over for any visual signs of bad health. He was treated with copper and some other medicines at the LFS overnight. Brought him home and drip acclimated him for 2 hours, popped him in the frag tank and fed live brine shrimp soaked in garlic and selcon and he went right for them. Tried some plain frozen mysis shrimp, gobbled that up too. Then finally I tried a algae sheet and he ferociously ate that as wel (as ferociously as possible over 4 hours). After lights out I added him to the display tank and after about 5 minutes he was out cruising the tank with the tangs (they swim around til the moonlights go out).

So far all is well in my little slice of the reef. Only clear fish problem is that the supposed paired bangaii cardinals hate one another so I've successful removed one and am working on the other. I'll be bring them back and will get another aquaculture pair.

Thanks for chiming in. Any other advise you could give me on the angelfish? I have kept a Flame and a Majestic in my last reef tank and they did great, never ate any corals. BTW the majestic came with the tank, I didn't make the decision to risk him with corals. Just got lucky!

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

reefingbuddha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a cool looking fish, but really pricey.

I think I might be changing my mind on the blue carpet anemone. No clown fish hosting and I was unaware of the extent of the fish killing issue. If anyone is interested in a 18" blue carpet anemone that is in excellent health, PM me an offer.

BTW, the gold flake is also eating pellets!

Last edited:

K-MAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since when did pricey get in your way ;)
Water change in the a.m. then bringing those frags over. I'll hit you up before i swing by

OP
OP
R

reefingbuddha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my first go at getting the cables organized. A vast improvement over how it looked before. It will be a little better once I get the 2 of the 3 pumps for the skimmer out of there.

photo.jpg

OP
OP
R

reefingbuddha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Its getting there

And to prove that the Deltec is kicking *** even though there is crazy turbulence, no bubble plate, and none of the other fancy stuff I'm going to spend to much money for. I guess the key for this is it its shear size and the water volume that it holds.

I cleaned the cup on Sunday later night.

photo-1.jpg

BTW, my fish are dropping LOGS in the tank. I watch my 2" bristletooth **** out a 3/4" crap that dropped like a rock to the bottom of the tank. Things are looking good though. Parameters are still undetectable where they should be and rock solid at 400, 10, and 1170. I'll bump up the mag a little more when I get the supplement in. pH fluctuations have been reduced to 8.24-8.31 swing in 24 hours and temp fluctuates between 77.6-78 without a chiller. These parameters have remained at this leave through the last 2 weeks of testing.

OP
OP
R

reefingbuddha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, yesterday's tank project involved preparing for wrasses at some point in the future. Found a nice thread involving 1/4 poly netting and basic aluminum screening frame and spline. Here is what I came up with. I had to get a little creative with the area where the returns but I think it looks pretty good. Good peace of mind as well as I know that fish can't jump now.

Thanks JimFlies for the hookup on the 1/4" netting.

photo-2.jpg

photo-3.jpg

downhill_biker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am watching this one. There are getting to be more and more of us in the DD crowd. I love it. They are great tanks. I love how clean and neat your setup is. I tried to keep mine that neat, it is hard, and you did a very good job.

ucantmakeme

Green Tips save lives
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the netting. If you have the same cra ppy luck as me then all your wrasses will make it out the ONLY spot you have open (by your returns). So you might wanna think about closing that off as well. Just my opinion.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 40 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back