OP
R

reefingbuddha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys!

They really are great tanks and I love the dimension. It does trick the eye a bit and its hard to tell how wide it is.

Its a constant struggle to try and keep things clean and trust me, the fish room looks pretty banged up, just not taking pictures of it. :D I still need to get a work bench and shelving system worked out but things are on track. Just got lazy since the display has been doing so well.

OP
OP
R

reefingbuddha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the netting. If you have the same cra ppy luck as me then all your wrasses will make it out the ONLY spot you have open (by your returns). So you might wanna think about closing that off as well. Just my opinion.

Yeah I've heard that's the way it usually goes. To bad there are no 45's or semi circle screen frames. I'm going to tool around with some acrylic to see if I can't figure something out. I have a few ideas.

EliteReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great tank. i also see no problme with the tangs you have chosen. i had almost the same mix in our 450 a few years ago and never had a problem.

OP
OP
R

reefingbuddha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great tank. i also see no problme with the tangs you have chosen. i had almost the same mix in our 450 a few years ago and never had a problem.

Fantastic! Great to hear.

I'm dealing with a little ich at the moment but its contained to 2 or 3 fish, at least based on visual inspection (which I know is not 100% accurate). I'm trying some relatively non-invasive ways to get rid of it at the moment and we'll see how it goes.

I'm using a pentair 160w UV Sterilizer that's currently running on my return pump. Its rated at 6000gph so the 3000gph or so that are going through my return manifold should handle it. About 2000gph go through the display so that means it should process the tanks volume every hour and 20 minutes or so.

I do know the UV sterilizers are not usually considered a effective way of ich eradication in a display tank but with this units turnover and the small infection I'm hoping to break the parasites reproductive cycle before it takes further hold. The infected fish only have a few visible infection sites and are still eating aggressively. I'm feeding vitamin enriched frozen foods at the moment and will start feeding fresh fish once I get a change to hit up the local fish market.

The UV sterilizer brings up the tank temp a bit, to between 81-82, so the slight increase in temperature should also decrease the time it take the parasite to complete its life cycle.

Thanks to Amashun, jnarowe, and a few others for their suggestions and advice.

OP
OP
R

reefingbuddha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not very happy with my controller this morning. Power went out at about 3 this morning and the emergency generator immediately kicked in. Normal power resumed some time after that, not sure I was sleeping.

The short of it is that when I woke up at 6 I noticed that that all the lights for the tank were on and the return pump was off! The controller for some reason thought both these outlets were on so it continued to run the heaters and everything else. The tank is just fine but under difference circumstances it could have been a disaster.

I guess I'll need to get a UPS just for the apex but what about all the connected control outlets? Will they change state during a power outage and the controller won't know again?

Makes me nervous...

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use a ReefKeeper Elite, but I run my main return straight into an outlet just in case the controller fails.

OP
OP
R

reefingbuddha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense Rev! The reason I have it on a controller is that during feeds I shut down the return pump for 5 minutes and that automatically adjusts cuts off heaters, skimmer, alarms, top-off, etc.

One of the dangers of significantly automating the system I guess. I'll have to find a affordable UPS solution that bridges the short gap between power outage and the generator kicking on.

Another annoy thing is that I need the DHCP option on (which I think automatically assigns IP among other settings) to get the controller to network properly but after every power outage it obviously gets assigned a new, and usually different IP.

I really need to get someone over that understands networks better then me to set this up properly.

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BUddah, you could assign it, and your modem/router a static IP, this way it never changes. You need to work with your ISP to do this though.

OP
OP
R

reefingbuddha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried to talk to bright house (my service provider) and the customer service is crap. Maybe I'll make up a problem so they send out a technician and get him to help me. :D Thanks for the suggestions.

thought I would show everyone the tank log I have been keeping. Please excuse spelling mistakes as I never spell checked it.

OP
OP
R

reefingbuddha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would share my tank log this morning as well. This is the spreadsheet I came up with. Its setup as a list so that I can sort by any of the variables on the top and totals are automatically updated with each entry.

LogExample-1.jpg

Updated for spelling errors

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

reefingbuddha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW Murfman, your tank link in your signature links to what appears to be nicks387's 300g.

OP
OP
R

reefingbuddha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank build murf, I really like the rock work and coral placement. I like the idea of a introduction box as well, have to make one of those. I also really like the bar top and wish I could have incorporated a side view as you did. At least I can enjoy it from the tank room.

OP
OP
R

reefingbuddha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture time!

All they fish are out cause they think I'm about to feed them

Back of Tank
DSC_4565-1.jpg

Left Side
DSC_4587.jpg

Right Side
DSC_4589.jpg

Front
DSC_4620.jpg

DSC_4603.jpg

DSC_4606.jpg

DSC_4616.jpg

DSC_4626.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 44 29.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.4%
Back