Reefingbuddha's 300 DD

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be putting a cover over the back so you can't see the equipment room at some point. Its just easier for me to observe the fish right now with the back exposed.

Are you a member of ORCA? I sent you a PM.

I am on ORCA but not a member was planning on paying my dues this week but got laid off instead. Cant justify paying them with no job.

OP
OP
R

reefingbuddha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough, no worries!

Sounds like your having a rough week. Hope it improves on you!

OP
OP
R

reefingbuddha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
R

reefingbuddha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received the PM1 upgrade to the Apex controller today so I can finally start up my calcium reactor. Currently running it off the apex for pH control set between 6.5-6.9 (a little higher then recommend by deltec) for now until I can judge the effects on the media, use the litermeter to feed it, and a electronic solenoid on a 20lbs CO2 tank at 2 bps.

I currently have the litermeter off for 24 hours to let the pH get to the right level in the reactor and then I'll test the effluent.

I also finished off my topoff system today. I have a "RO_Tank_High" and "RO_Tank_Low" as two float switches at the top and bottom of the 55g top off tank. The float switches tell the controller when to open and close a solenoid that is installed after the pre-filter of my RO unit. There is also a attached float switch at the RO output that will shutdown the RO system via back-pressure if the "RO_Tank_High" float valve or the RO_solenoid would happen to fail.

There is a 1.5" line between the RO tank and the Waterchange tank with a ball valve half way down it that allows me to gravity feed the waterchange tank. Right above the ball valve is a Tee fitting with a 1/2" thread output that a 1/2 to 1/4" JG fitting is attached too. There are then two solenoids in series attached to the same electrical supply in case one fails. This 1/4" line feeds into the kalk stirrer which gravity flows back to the mixing tank. The two solenoids are controller via two float switches in the sump, "Sump_High" and "Add_Water". If "Add_water" is on then the solenoids come on. If "Add_water" is off then the solenoids turn off. If "Sump_high" is on the solenoids turn off and a alarm is sound and email/text sent. The solenoids are further controller by the pH probe in the sump. If the tank pH reaches 8.4 the feed to the kalk reactor is cut off. The next step is to add another solenoid that kicks in if "Add_water" is on and the tank pH is above 8.4. This solenoid would bypass the kalk reactor and allow straight RO/DI water to top-off the tank.

If both solenoids happen to fail somehow there is only about 5 gallons that can drain from the RO tank at any one time before the siphon breaks.

If anyone sees any flaws in my reasoning please let me know. So far everything is working find. I tested all contingencies and everything works as described above. The tank pH has been between 8.28 and 8.35 for 4 days now, up from 7.94-8.2 without the kalk reactor.

OP
OP
R

reefingbuddha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the hippos are weird for sure, mine hides in the branches of my digi. It actually hid in there and and got moved from the 125 to the 240 in there without me knowing :O whoops :D

haha. I remember when I had my first hippo and she had some ich. I was stratching my head for the longest time trying to figure out how I could catch her in a heavily stocked 120g with WAY to much rock and coral. Until I tried and realized I just needed to remove the rock she jammed herself into.

Interesting survival tactic. I don't notice any other tangs doing that.

OP
OP
R

reefingbuddha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a 12" strip of 435nm (i think) LED lights from Ecoxotic. I think its from their panorama series. It pulls 13w and its being used for moonlights. This this is bright and the florescent it brings out is awesome. I attached it to the side of one of the t5 fixtures, dead middle in the tank. The end result is a fairly bright nightlight like that is deep blue.

I had originally considered getting three of them but this one seems like plenty. It is set to run all day and is off for 5 hours between 11pm and 4 am.

All 14 fish are alive and thriving. Both shrimp have molted already since I added them to the tank.

I had a little issue with some of them not eating mypsis but that was solved by feeding live brine shrimp for a day. The next day they all went nuts for the mypsis and chomped it down.

Last edited:

K-MAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YO, so I found your thread!
Good seeing you again after this ling time bro! The tank is epic :)
I'll hit you up during the week and bring those frags over.

OP
OP
R

reefingbuddha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good seeing you too. Looking forward to trying my first SPS in this tank! Thanks again bro.

Here's proof of time, 02/21/2010

I made a significant new addition. Anyone want to guess what it is? Its really subtle on the left side of the tank. :D
YouTube - Untitled

OP
OP
R

reefingbuddha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and in case anyone is wondering, no my crappy camera does not have white balance.

OP
OP
R

reefingbuddha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

Its a 300 Deep Dimension. Its 72" Long, 36" Wide, and 27" Deep.

It has been 11 days since I added any fish so yesterday I added 8 bartlett anthias and another little surprise I'm going to hold off revealing until I can get a decent picture of him.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back