Its worth noting my prized newest addition;

Chaetodon tinkeri Tinkerii Butterflyfish

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No we didn't noticed, thanks for reminding us.

Dang dude, how long? eating good and happy plates? Reef save with caution?
Will be stalking this little Gem cause I'm looking for a stocking stuffer.
Congrats!!

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No we didn't noticed, thanks for reminding us.

Dang dude, how long? eating good and happy plates? Reef save with caution?
Will be stalking this little Gem cause I'm looking for a stocking stuffer.
Congrats!!

Ive had the fish for a few weeks-so far its a model citizen but then again I feed the tank twice a day plus the auto feeder drops pellets once. He (??) eats like a pig, Krill, raw oyster, (meant for the golden dwarf eel), Larrys reef food, Nori and is very interested in pellets. It developed a slight case of ich but is nearly cleared up.

it has some of the coolest markings I ever seen, that contrast of Black/White is sick and its not picked at anything-I don't have any softies in my tank and I'd donate a polyp or 1000 for this guy, I have enough to spare (in the event it develops a taste for SPS, which I doubt).

This article posted to Reef Builders the day after it came into my local reef store (Shout out to Jeff at Cuttlefish and Corals-dude gets fish I've never seen before)

Reef Nuggets 2: Aquatic Lepidopterans for your reef (Revised edition)

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is such a striking fish! Beautiful specimen too. Hope it does well in your system.

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is such a striking fish! Beautiful specimen too. Hope it does well in your system.

With heavy heart I must report this fish died a few days ago. I'm sure I acted as a catalyst or was the cause. My purple tang used to give the tinker attitude and since PT are a dime a dozen (meaning you can buy one whenever you want) I decided it was time it found a new home so out the trap came.

On one of the days while fishing the tinker swam in the trap eating food (like it always did, that fish ate like a king-all the fish do actually) the tang came in backwards with its tail trying to hit the tinker. Well it kept swimming backwards until they both were in the trap so I dropped the door. Well the stress for being in the trap for the 20 seconds with the purple nearly gave the tinker a heart attack. I dropped both fish in my overflow box (its 4' long) and then netted the tinker out quickly and put it back into the tank.

It was breathing so hard I thought for sure it wouldn't make it through the night but it did. The next day it looked like I had dipped it in salt-covered with ich. I hadn't seen signs of ich in my tank in I can't remember when but I didn't QT this fish either so somewhere it was laying dormant. The fish lived at least 2 more weeks and I fed the tank 3x a day and it ate and ate and ate and I was hopeful it would be strong enough to pull out but it didn't.

I was thinking it may have been marine velvet but I didn't see any brownish color which I believe I had read. I say velvet because not only did I loose the think, I lost 10 other fish, one being a dwarf lion fish which I was told wasn't susceptible to ich.

Anyway long story running longer-the fish died and so did 40% of my other fish! I'm just grateful my Red Headed Wrasse (Scientific Name -Halichoeres rubricephalus) survived

Last edited:

dankreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh noes! I had the same thing happen to me. I QT all but one fish and he brought ich or something crazy in my tank and killed a lot. Had to QT all again with copper. Now nothing gets in my tank without hitting copper and QT for 3 months. ! Sorry man :(

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, so sorry! Thats a lot of fish to lose...Hope the rest fare better and recover fully.

Macropora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous display tank and frag tanks. I'm getting back into sps slowly. I'm really impressed with the results you have gotten with just using LEDs for your sticks and the colors are fantastic. Question: What is your current lighting configuration on your 400 gallon display with photo periods, light intensity and how high are the led above the display? Thanking you in advance.

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous display tank and frag tanks. I'm getting back into sps slowly. I'm really impressed with the results you have gotten with just using LEDs for your sticks and the colors are fantastic. Question: What is your current lighting configuration on your 400 gallon display with photo periods, light intensity and how high are the led above the display? Thanking you in advance.

Thanks!

The config is just the D120 3 wide-3 deep. I have the blue channel on for 12 hours total and the white channel comes an hour after the blues come on and off an hour before they shut of-similar to old days dusk to dawn when running halide with T5.

I have the channels at about 50 percent and roughly 20" above the tank. Its not that high of par, maybe 350 at the top and 200 on the sand bed-the frag tanks are roughly reading par levels of 275.

Before the Evergrows I had built fixtures from Bill at Reef LED lights way back in the day when it was a 2:1 ratio Cool White to Royal Blue.

I also ran the Ocean Revive Artics and the 247, I'm a huge fan of the 247 and was running them before I switched up the frag tanks and since overhead space was a restriction I went back and built fixtures again. I think the color was a little better with the 247. The color may be a PAR issue and I've been thinking for months about adding a few more diodes, I just haven't and probably won't LOL

for the money the Ocean Revive 247 fixtures are sweet, I've told the owner they should be selling for 40% more hahaha! I think they could stand toe to toe with any LED fixture out there, minus the bells in whistles ie Apex controllable etc

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, so sorry! Thats a lot of fish to lose...Hope the rest fare better and recover fully.
Thanks for the hope-unfortunately fish have still been dying, I'm about to lose my most favorite, long before the tinker its a red headed wrasse.

I guess after 6 years of not doing any quarantine the game of Russian roulette has caught up with me-I think I'm left with 13 fish with more than that that have died.
It sucks

Macropora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

The config is just the D120 3 wide-3 deep. I have the blue channel on for 12 hours total and the white channel comes an hour after the blues come on and off an hour before they shut of-similar to old days dusk to dawn when running halide with T5.

I have the channels at about 50 percent and roughly 20" above the tank. Its not that high of par, maybe 350 at the top and 200 on the sand bed-the frag tanks are roughly reading par levels of 275.

Before the Evergrows I had built fixtures from Bill at Reef LED lights way back in the day when it was a 2:1 ratio Cool White to Royal Blue.

I also ran the Ocean Revive Artics and the 247, I'm a huge fan of the 247 and was running them before I switched up the frag tanks and since overhead space was a restriction I went back and built fixtures again. I think the color was a little better with the 247. The color may be a PAR issue and I've been thinking for months about adding a few more diodes, I just haven't and probably won't LOL

for the money the Ocean Revive 247 fixtures are sweet, I've told the owner they should be selling for 40% more hahaha! I think they could stand toe to toe with any LED fixture out there, minus the bells in whistles ie Apex controllable etc

Thanks for the quick response! So 6 of these D120 can push this much light, cover a 6' x 4' wide area and grow sps with superior colors is totally awesome! Thanks for sharing your results and I know where to candy shop in the future. :wink:

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick response! So 6 of these D120 can push this much light, cover a 6' x 4' wide area and grow sps with superior colors is totally awesome! Thanks for sharing your results and I know where to candy shop in the future. :wink:

9 fixtures -3x3 :)

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what a gorgeous system!

Thank you for that!

What skimmer do you run?

Its an old guy, the SWC 250 1A and The askoll pump died awhile back so I switched to the bubble blaster 5000. I also use the avast neck swabbie that the apex controls to clean the neck 4x a day-can't praise any neck skimmer enough- a must have IMO

Last edited:

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Brad
I read in your for sale thread you have temporary shut down your sales due to new systems updates. How about some pics and updates on the project?
Are you still using the ocean revive led units? My lighting is diy led with 50/50 mix bought from Bill like you did. Looks like the ocean revive has alot of colors in each unit. Do all the different colors really help out with the corals coloration?
Jeff

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, I was just reading that you have a swabbie for your skimmer. I recently upgraded my skimmer to a vertex omega 180i w neck cleaner. You said you turn yours on x4 per day. How many hours apart do you suggest running it, and for how long each time? Thanks!

BlueZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, I was just reading that you have a swabbie for your skimmer. I recently upgraded my skimmer to a vertex omega 180i w neck cleaner. You said you turn yours on x4 per day. How many hours apart do you suggest running it, and for how long each time? Thanks!

I asked Brad this when I got mine about a year ago, he said 4X at 2 mins. On RK you can just tell it to repeat 4 times a day...so every 6 hours. Neck stays spotless on mine!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back