OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefn. I recently got 3 of the OR arctics over my 180.
Can you tell me how high off the water your running your lights and at what power level percentages. Sorry if I missed this anywhere.

Thanks!

Hey reefn. I recently got 3 of the OR arctics over my 180.
Can you tell me how high off the water your running your lights and at what power level percentages. Sorry if I missed this anywhere.

Thanks!

I have both channels around 85% with the blue possibly being a little higher-it's pushing a little more PAR at that level which I was giving a try to see if it gets more color but I'm not seeing it so I may dial them back slightly.

Yesterday kicked off the remodel of the other side of the garage but it's being down half at a time being I have a lot of JUNK I needed to be able to do it that way. My friend who is doing my frag tanks will be traveling most of April so it won't be until probably May before the 2 new tanks get added.

I picked a UV sterilizer yesterday made by TMC, the 110 watt unit and after trips to 2 different hardware stores getting this beast plumbed and mounted its leaking somewhere from the body of the unit. Now Ive got to disconnect it and most likely ship it in to be replaced :(

TMC Vecton & Advantage UV Sterilizer | Pond & Aquarium

mrjlopez731

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope to someday be able to have a tank like this one. Only time will tell how far I can make it to reach my goal and have that reef tank that my family and friends will talk about.

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's looking like the Junkies Reef is going to have a major "transition"

I've a few seams Im not feeling good about so I'm mapping out building a temp holding area for all the colonies while I tear the tank down, replace it with a new tank and then put everything back.

I'm dreading this but Im sort of glad since I'll be able to redo the rockscape and replace some of my colonies with some of the nicer pieces I've got cookin in my frag tanks-this probably won't happen until Fall but the prep and plans are already underway

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with! I know it's a pain in the A but better safe than sorry....thus fall I will be doing the same thing (or similar), put everything in a temporary tank so I can take the stand out to repaint and do some other things to it. Definitely not looking forward to the work

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Me thinks we needs an updated FTS! 1smile1

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking reef, nicely done.
Thanks!

Great looking reef. I enjoyed reading and watching the way the tank matured.

It's been fun, hopefully the rebuild goes as well ;)

This was last month-not a lot going on now with the display since Im targeting September for the tank replacement. I did however recently set up a 48x24x12 QT with two more additional frag tanks since I was maxed out for space and really couldn't add much.

Now I'll be back in the game for collecting more acropora :)

Last edited:

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking beautiful as always! Looking forward to seeing the rebuild as well. When you get some of the new frag tanks filled up be sure to post pics!!

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A brief update but no photos as of yet since they would be a little bland. Pi spoke with James at Envision and the tank is targetted for a late September finish, actually early September but he says it's best to let it "cure" for a few weeks so Im shooting for 4 weeks-a little overkill perhaps but what the heck, belts and suspenders this time around.

I've removed all the acros from the display and have 5-4' frag tanks stuffed with what I have chosen to keep. I got rid of quite a few large colonies to make room for some of the what I consider nicer pieces, I didn't have room to keep everything and what I got rid of I will get small colonies back to regrow.

I did have a bit of a mishap, quite a few months ago I added a 110 watt UV to treat for some Ich and it sterilized my water column and as a result I lost quite a few acros some colonies that I've had for years and had grown out to be large colonies.

I lost;
SWOTR
ASD Rainbow
RMF Acid Trip
CC Bahama Mama
Gypsey Pickle
RNJ Raspeberry Burst
RNJ Strawberry Mint
Stinky Pinky
Sapphire Milli
Etc

I know there was more but when you have so many (thankfully) you lose track, or the mind blocks out the loss. The good news is I have all of those backed up with other reefers so I see it as I've lost time and not acros.

I'm looking forward to the new build, Im going to redo the rock work (obviously-duh) and in doing so I'll add all the LPS and then strategically place the acros with ones I decide to add back and be selective as to what goes in the display and what I keep in the 4 SPS frag tanks.

I have aquired some new fish, a male Bellus Angel, juvenile Emperor, blotched anthias, coral beauty and a beautiful make cross hatch. The new tank will also have a Red Sea regal once imports from the Red Sea open up again and I may finish of the angel collection with Queen.

Well that's my update, thanks for reading!

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, you went through a LOT.
Some of the acro's above are doing good from our last trade.
I have some GEM's going and I hope I can frag some of that later this year for you.
Glad that there are still reefers that believe in the RC :)

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, you went through a LOT.
Some of the acro's above are doing good from our last trade.
I have some GEM's going and I hope I can frag some of that later this year for you.
Glad that there are still reefers that believe in the RC :)

Im always looking for gems, besides I can be a back up for you. The UV was a noob mistake, I should have figured with that dwell time I was radiating the water. I can tell you one thing tho, in 24 hours you could not even tell there was water in the tank-crystal clear LOL

Im a reef guy not a fish guy, so I'll stick with corals (SPS) and let the strong survive (and stop getting 400.00+ fish o_O )

If you know anyone needing a UV that's rated for 2000 gallons and has about 168 hours total use let me know :)

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the losses man, glad there's some back ups out there though

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the losses man, glad there's some back ups out there though

Thanks Brett but I'm fortunate I suppose, that's really my only set back since getting back into the hobby after a 20 year hiatus. Nothing compared to the trials and tribulations of the late 80s early 90s

That special little acro you were after has weathered the storm just fine- I have more beauties than I lost and the I'll tell you one Im really looking to add in is the Frag Farmers Snow Cone Prostata, It makes the Snipers Bubble Gum and Jose Rainbow look like a digitata :eek: and green one at that-meaning it makes them look "ho hum" in comparison :)

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To bad my avatar is small and out of focus-thats another "future display" acro

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Your tank has been one of my favorites. Sorry about your losses. Cant wait to see the new build.
I noticed on page 11 there seems to be a lot more sand than page 14. Did you remove sand at some point?
Thanks
-Tyler

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Tyler and yes you are probably correct, I have siphoned sand out over time, I went a little over board and started with about 240 pounds on the new build I'll be using the same Carab-Sea Seaflor Special but think I'll start with probably half that amount and add more if needed.

This time around I'll put all the rock in first and then add the sand, I should have done it that way to begin with. I'll take a few days I'm sure arranging rock. As mentioned I'll put lol the rock in, arrange what LPS I want and then add the acros. I will have an island of LPS and strategically place 6 vortechs to mitigate any dead spots.

T-minus two more months and counting;)

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't be putting the red planet back, that thing was about 18x24- in its place will be the pro corals superman that I've been growing out.

I grabbed a 7" male cross hatch in exchange for the planet colony :D

Back