Reefnjunkies 400 gallon inwall

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked Brad this when I got mine about a year ago, he said 4X at 2 mins. On RK you can just tell it to repeat 4 times a day...so every 6 hours. Neck stays spotless on mine!

Great, thanks! I'll set it to go off at the same schedule on the apex. Hope to see some extreme skimming action!

BlueZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do the cleaners really help out that much? I clean my neck weekly and it usually is pretty well built up with gunk.
Jeff

I only clean my neck/cup every few months. I usually only clean it because the inside of the cup gets dirty and makes it hard to see the foam but the neck is still clean. Brad can chime in but I think he cleans even less haha

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build!!

Thank you kindly :high5:

Brad
I read in your for sale thread you have temporary shut down your sales due to new systems updates. How about some pics and updates on the project?
Are you still using the ocean revive led units? My lighting is diy led with 50/50 mix bought from Bill like you did. Looks like the ocean revive has alot of colors in each unit. Do all the different colors really help out with the corals coloration?
Jeff

Hey Jeff I'll post pics once it all starts-Ive 3 projects actually-First is to remodel the other side of the garage, the part that never got finished when I built the "tank/fish/frag room" The buddy who helped me (or should I say did the work and I tried to help) re-do my family room that allowed me to have my inwall is doing the other half. I gave him a near new Marineland 180 in exchange for labor plus I offered from SPS frags for life :)

Once that other side is done Im moving my freezer into the other side and in its place will be 2 more tanks :tongue:

One will be a QT tank (after loosing all the fish I recently did and always acquiring trades/purchases of sticks-I had to) and the other will be for all my acans. This system will be all on its own and the acans will probably be happier. It'll be a very simple system-zero automation. I'll move all the acans from the one tank they reside in now and that tank will become another tank for my sticks-you see Im out of room again and I have a bunch coming in. I've done a few trades and have some oldies coming and some new stuff :tape2: more on that later.

On the lighting, I still run DIY over my 3 SPS frag tanks and just last month swapped all my D120s to the Arctic S026, OR had them priced so cheap during the holidays I couldn't resist. I'm still a fan of DIY and the Cree LED are better quality but I get mad color and growth with what I am using.

Ive added UV, Cyan, Blue, and Violet to my DIY and the colors really look good IMO and the sticks grow like mad :biggrin1:

I asked Brad this when I got mine about a year ago, he said 4X at 2 mins. On RK you can just tell it to repeat 4 times a day...so every 6 hours. Neck stays spotless on mine!

Nice memory :wink:

do the cleaners really help out that much? I clean my neck weekly and it usually is pretty well built up with gunk.
Jeff

I have to attribute that as to why I am no longer using GFO-haven't for many months and at times its hard to get PO4 up to the .03 range-I see .00 all the time and my NO3 is .01-.05. I'd love to have my NO3 around 10 and my PO4 .06-.12 but that's me. All that gunk you are cleaning each week is causing your skimmer to not run at its peak performance-granted that's not bad as long as your NO3 and PO4 params are where you want them. I also drain the skimmate into a 5 gallon bucket that has a pressure switch hooked up to the APEX so once the switch flips it shuts off the skimmer and sends me a text.

I only clean my neck/cup every few months. I usually only clean it because the inside of the cup gets dirty and makes it hard to see the foam but the neck is still clean. Brad can chime in but I think he cleans even less haha

My skimmer is tough to get to and in order to pull the cup I have to unscrew they drain pipes from the unions. Its a simple task but I don't bother cleaning the cup but maybe once every 3 months-the neck on the other hand is spotless 24/7/365.
When I clean the cup I bet there is easily a 3/8 layer of sludge-

I repurpose the sludge into a beauty mask to keep me looking youthful-all you married guys and even guys with girlfriends should let them try-Its quite invigorating :nerd:

Tell them "trust me, I read it on the internet" :evil:

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Brad
what color leds did you add to your diy lights? I have just whites and blues right now and get good color but would like better growth is possible. I was thinking of some green and uv. I have read where the reds can overpower things. I have 3 48led lights and was thinking of adding in 6 greens and 3 uv. what do you think?
Jeff

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a single red in any of the ones I built. I actually sold most my original DIY that I built from Bill and these (2 of the 4) are all new diodes. The older Reefledlights builds were the 2:1 ratio of RB to CW which is really all was available at the time.

The new builds are a combo of ReefLed and Steves LED, each company has different diodes so I couldn't buy from just one. Id have to dig for the actual list but I think each fixture has a max of 6 cyan-no reds and no greens although cyan does have the green spectrum. I want to say I have 10 UV or a combo of the hyper violet (steves-I'd recommend these) and UV (Bill) I also run the neutral whites for the most part but I did toss in some of the old Cree Cool whites.

I have a few Luxeon blues, maybe 6 per fixture, but like I said I'd need to go back and see the exact numbers. I have one fixture that started as 39 leds, then I added I think 12 more, and then 2 weeks ago I added 24 more. I think the UV are what are giving me crazy growth rates in one of the 3 frag tanks. I didn't initially have as many UV on the other fixture but about a month ago added 8 UV/hyper violet combo along with 16 others-RB and NW.

Its funny, I have 3 different light combos (all LED) in the 3 frag tanks and each has it s own color/growth rate which Im with so I wont mess with them any more (sure I wont-LOL)

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been awhile since I posted any tank update pics and I took a few (rushed) pics yesterday but I wanted to show the new Idol and I'll work on a few better photos

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey that looks great ! wow . how long have you had that idol?

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great as always I gotta come down and cherry pick :)

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Followed this tank from the start; you've done an amazing job! :D

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

Thanks for all the compliments :thumb:

I wanted to try and post a little better pic than the other two and these are a little better but not much :crazy:

I grabbed a few new fish this weekend since there really isn't much rock work for more acros-I traded off my male swallowtail and my 2 barred rabbit fish. The 2 bar was just to big, 5" if not more and the male swallowtail just because. I don't know if other people are like this but after a year or two some fish just get "old" so I usually down grade in size or trade out for new fish.

My newest additions over the last month;
2 Purple Tile Fish
1 Moorish Idol
2 Black Wrasse Leopard Wrasse (Macropharyngodon negrosensis)
1 female Leopard Wrasse (Macropharyngodon meleagris) brings the total to 2
1 Ornate Wrasse Macropharyngodon ornatus
1 male and 2 female Blue Star Wrasse (Macropharyngodon bipartitus)
1 Orange Spot Rabbit Fish

And I'm picking up a male and a female Bellus Angel later this week-Ive never seen a male and its a really sweet looking fish, cant wait!

Still on my list is a pair a Flame Wrasse ( I think I favor Wrasse'-LOL)

Anyway that's all for now-Ill add to my build thread once I get the other part of the garage remodeled (finally) that will allow me to add 2 more 4 frags tanks-After that I wont have more room and I'm afraid of the future :eek:oh:

JOSE CASAS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AWESOME TANK! Kinda scary or at least for me to be able to have more room for more tanks in the future lol. I get you with the OCD and ADD.:bigsmile:

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
broke out the macro earlier-pics look better on my PC Monitor where I post processed than they do on the ipad :( They are actually brighter in person

Zer0.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefn. I recently got 3 of the OR arctics over my 180.
Can you tell me how high off the water your running your lights and at what power level percentages. Sorry if I missed this anywhere.

Thanks!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back