Reefnjunkies 400 gallon inwall

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey bro. Thanks for all the detailed info on the LED's. I would be VERY grateful if you can tell provide info on the following:

1. How often, and what do you feed your fish?

2. How often, and what do you feed the SPS corals?

3. Do you consider to be feeding your fish and corals quite heavy?

Many thanks.

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey bro. Thanks for all the detailed info on the LED's. I would be VERY grateful if you can tell provide info on the following:

1. How often, and what do you feed your fish?

2. How often, and what do you feed the SPS corals?

3. Do you consider to be feeding your fish and corals quite heavy?

Many thanks.

Happy to share any experiences I have or have had.

As far as feeding the fish I do it daily and its usually one of the following or any combo- mysis, rods food, pellets, or flakes. I typically feed food Ive made up but I ran out and have just been to lazy to make more since I got a deal on the frozen and pellets at dealers cost.

I don't feed the SPS or any other corals in my tank. I have tried to get back in the routine of adding the Kent coral vite and Molybenum/Strontium that I have sitting around but I just am not consistent. I also have some Elos Amino Acids Im trying to use but again Im not consistent. I'll do great for a week and then forget for a week or a month LOL

I have a swabbie for my skimmer so its always running an optimum performance level and my KH never swings.

As far as heaving feeding I may use about a tablespoon of food a day-I would feed more often but I am not around during the days-Im going to buy the new APEX feeder so I can dump in pellets throughout the day. I must be feeding enough tho because my fish are FAT but it helps keep them happy and hopefully not chase each other around.

Anymore questions fire away.

Thanks

aslmx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run a fuge? What if anything is in your sump such as sand or rubble? I really appreciate the way you explain in detail and have the evidence to backup what you do. It helps people like me a lot.

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run a fuge? What if anything is in your sump such as sand or rubble? I really appreciate the way you explain in detail and have the evidence to backup what you do. It helps people like me a lot.

Nothing in the sump but equipment-I do have 2 sumps though because of poor planning initially. One was built from scraps from the tank build (3/4" walls just a little overkill) but I was afraid after looking at it that it may not be big enough in the event of a power outage etc. so I bought a sheet of 1/2" acrylic an built another one and then joined the 2 with 2-2" bulkheads.

Basically the tank drains into two filter socks (I have a bean animal O/F) that are in one of the sumps, the sump witht the filter socks holders is the 2nd one Ihad built and is about 36x48x20 or so, it also holds my skimmer which is a beast (SWC X-treme 250 1A with a bubble blaster 5000 upgrade). That sump then ties into the initial sump I had via the bulkheads which are drilled/plumbed as close the the bottom of the sumps as possible.

The 2nd sump isn't used really for anything, I will use it occasionally as a frag tank since its basically 40 gallons of nothing-I have an Artic SO26 mounted above the sump. Once I add/tie in the 2 other frag tanks next month I won't do that anymore, hopefully 4-48"x24"x12" frag tanks will be enough.

I will say that there is not a lot of surface water movement which scared me a little for stagnation so I add a small powerhead to both sumps and have it pointed upwards to keep movement across the surface.

If I can ever help anyone with anything I have done whether it is/was good or bad, I'm glad. I'm just like everyone else, trying to have the best looking tank whatever size and I have given just about everything a try-algae turf scrubbers, sulpher denitrator, bio pellets, vodka dosing-Im sure there is more LOL

Thanks for looking!

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to share any experiences I have or have had.

As far as feeding the fish I do it daily and its usually one of the following or any combo- mysis, rods food, pellets, or flakes. I typically feed food Ive made up but I ran out and have just been to lazy to make more since I got a deal on the frozen and pellets at dealers cost.

I don't feed the SPS or any other corals in my tank. I have tried to get back in the routine of adding the Kent coral vite and Molybenum/Strontium that I have sitting around but I just am not consistent. I also have some Elos Amino Acids Im trying to use but again Im not consistent. I'll do great for a week and then forget for a week or a month LOL

I have a swabbie for my skimmer so its always running an optimum performance level and my KH never swings.

As far as heaving feeding I may use about a tablespoon of food a day-I would feed more often but I am not around during the days-Im going to buy the new APEX feeder so I can dump in pellets throughout the day. I must be feeding enough tho because my fish are FAT but it helps keep them happy and hopefully not chase each other around.

Anymore questions fire away.

Thanks

Nothing in the sump but equipment-I do have 2 sumps though because of poor planning initially. One was built from scraps from the tank build (3/4" walls just a little overkill) but I was afraid after looking at it that it may not be big enough in the event of a power outage etc. so I bought a sheet of 1/2" acrylic an built another one and then joined the 2 with 2-2" bulkheads.

Basically the tank drains into two filter socks (I have a bean animal O/F) that are in one of the sumps, the sump witht the filter socks holders is the 2nd one Ihad built and is about 36x48x20 or so, it also holds my skimmer which is a beast (SWC X-treme 250 1A with a bubble blaster 5000 upgrade). That sump then ties into the initial sump I had via the bulkheads which are drilled/plumbed as close the the bottom of the sumps as possible.

The 2nd sump isn't used really for anything, I will use it occasionally as a frag tank since its basically 40 gallons of nothing-I have an Artic SO26 mounted above the sump. Once I add/tie in the 2 other frag tanks next month I won't do that anymore, hopefully 4-48"x24"x12" frag tanks will be enough.

I will say that there is not a lot of surface water movement which scared me a little for stagnation so I add a small powerhead to both sumps and have it pointed upwards to keep movement across the surface.

If I can ever help anyone with anything I have done whether it is/was good or bad, I'm glad. I'm just like everyone else, trying to have the best looking tank whatever size and I have given just about everything a try-algae turf scrubbers, sulpher denitrator, bio pellets, vodka dosing-Im sure there is more LOL

Thanks for looking!

Its so kind of you to take the time to answer our questions in such detail. Not a lot of people do that. So THANK YOU for being a valuable member of the community. You are an SPS legend, and to be able to take from your knowledge and experience is very very useful. :)

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its so kind of you to take the time to answer our questions in such detail. Not a lot of people do that. So THANK YOU for being a valuable member of the community. You are an SPS legend, and to be able to take from your knowledge and experience is very very useful. :)

I appreciate the kind words but Im just another obsessed hobbyists- Like I mentioned I'm always happy to share experiences good or bad.

Thanks again

I should spend more time here updating this thread with whats going on, my local forum my build thread is 42 pages and nearly 31K views :wacko:

aslmx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for looking!
On my new sump, if I dont have sand or macro in it, is their any reason to run a light on it except for maintenance only?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And these are just experiences from a reef-N-junkie.
Wait till you come to a point that you start buying corals from this guy.
Brad lives for his corals and if you get some of his you have to promise him you do the same.

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sold on LEDs now, thanks to you. :tongue:

I know there are fixtures out there that aren't good but being I've been growing SPS (and zoas, and LPS) for the past ~3 years using LEDs how can I believe those threads that say they don't work-granted those are nearly non existent anymore but there are still plenty of people whose threads I see that say "once they are proven...... I'll switch" I can only stand on my pedestal and shout so loud.......LOL

Thanks for looking!

And these are just experiences from a reef-N-junkie.
Wait till you come to a point that you start buying corals from this guy.
Brad lives for his corals and if you get some of his you have to promise him you do the same.

Thanks Ben, I don't think I "live" more than most Stik heads for my corals, I'm just not in denial hence my screen name. There are at least half a dozen Stik heads I can think of off the top of my head but they may not want to be identified, maybe they are in denial-LOL

Im glad your experience with me was positive and you're happy with your sticks- Now I want to see this 2000 gallon frag system- you must be gearing towards "something".......

Happy New Year my friend!

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sneak peak.................

shop1.JPG

shop2.jpg

shop3.jpg

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More to come, and all home grown SPS and LPS
Took all my chalices out of my tank include a SC Fire Cracker with 24 eyes some rainbow chalice, too many to write all down.

Jdavison911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great system. How does your skimmer do with the load you have? I'm looking/planning on a system about the same size as yours and skimmer is one of the details I'm still looking at. One of my options is the SRO 5000 external but after reading your thread I may go with a 250 like yours.

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More to come, and all home grown SPS and LPS
Took all my chalices out of my tank include a SC Fire Cracker with 24 eyes some rainbow chalice, too many to write all down.
Sounds great, good luck with the future system(s)

Great system. How does your skimmer do with the load you have? I'm looking/planning on a system about the same size as yours and skimmer is one of the details I'm still looking at. One of my options is the SRO 5000 external but after reading your thread I may go with a 250 like yours.

Thanks. This is my skimmer and it does a fantastic job

SWC Xtreme 250A Cone Protein Skimmer SWC Xtreme Cone Skimmer 250 A [SWC Xtreme 250A Cone] - $749.99 : SWC - Salt Water Connection, Protein Skimmers, Calcium Reactors, Filters & Lights

The ratings are plenty for my bioload and I feed heavily- current NO3 is 0.0

I did however upgrade pumps to the bubble blaster 5000 after my motor block died but I also bought the skimmer used aout 3 years ago. The SRO 5000 was one I was looking at but then I found the present one for sale used and at 400.00 that pretty much made up my mind.

I also liked the idea of an internal vs external both skimmers are beasts and you'll be pleased with either Im sure, for the money I'd lean more towards the SWC though

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the camera out

Ultimate Frags Ultimate Tri Color

CC Retina Eye Blaster

Polar Ice Granulosa

GB Unkown

Strawberry Mint

PC rainbow

another PC Rainbow

Upscales Micro

Unk-8

ORA Plum Crazy

Westside Purpleishous

Unknown-7

Unk -6

RNJ Tri Color

Shawn Bennett Yellow Tort from Dan Rigle

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And some more

Reef Ready Grape Juice

Raspberry Burst

RNJ Wolverine

Mattv Unk

SC Orange Stick

CNC Blueberry Blast

Reef Raft Unk

SWOTR

Wonderland Milli

Unk--5

Unk 4

Jaon Fox Grape Juice

SniperSPS Red Matrix

Frag Farmers Strawberry lemonade

Raspberry Limeade Hyc

Bahama Mama Milli

Twilight Dragon

PC Superman Table

RNJ Pinky

Last edited:

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 31 34.8%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 50 56.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back