Revs Breeding Thread

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool Revs Breeding Thread

I have zero experience, no idea, and no pair of breeding fish at this point, but this is my start into the breeding world!

I have been so intrigued by breeding fish and have always wanted to do it for the sole satisfaction of knowing that I have raised fish. I have grown and propagated many corals, but now I want to give fish a try!

I realize it's going to be a whole new ball game but I am up for the challenge! I could have done a search, but I want to have a thread that will chronicle all my learning from a noob to successfully rearing fish. I am most interested in raising clowns.

Ok so now that you know that I know nothing shall we begin?

As stated before I have no breeding fish so i am on the lookout for a pair. I also have 2 pairs of Picassos coming this week. Now before you judge my motives let me say this. I have always wanted to do this, plus i have always wanted a pair of picassos. I decided that I might as well try and raise some of my favorite fish. That being said I know there is no guarantee that they will lay eggs so i am still going to look for any breeding pair.

While I am looking for a pair and turning down the lights and the music up on the picassos, I guess I need to read! I also would like to go ahead and learn how to grow the phyto or however it is said as well as gather all the equipment now to be ready.

So my friends without further rambling here are some starter questions.

1. What books and reading do you suggest?

2. Can someone post an entire equipment list for me that I will need for food, larvae, and the babies?

Remember this is going to be a good read for noobs......eventually......I hope.....

Thanks for the help!

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here!!!! i have experience in Bangaii but thats it, what kind you want to breed rev, or are u just open to any breeding pair??

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I really want to try clowns first but then actually do several types..

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are the HARDEST to keep alive when they are young just bc they are so hard to feed! To be honest i would start with cards then go from there. They are so easy to get bredding just buy 3-5 put them in a tank they will pair off and its almost 100% sure they breed quick! Also the dad hold them in his mouth so when he spits htem out they are small but big enought to eat live brine!

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Fin Cards just need to be thrown in a low flow, large tank with a ton of rock...feed regularly, and check back in 6 months...youll have a ton of them.

A LFS by me has HUNDREDS beyond HUNDREDS of them.

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL jr is totally right they are so freaking easy its a joke,but it just helps you get your feet wet

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Wilkerson book is the cat's meow for clowns. Also, Matt is a wealth of info and practically your neighbor.

EliteReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FYI Rev this is ME Oceana=ellitreefs. hit me up if you need any help. i do not sell or use elitereefs name on that forum since it is a retail site.

You can copy that thread here if you want so you dont have to have a link to another forum. I have added alot to it but that nailed thread does not have the updates. i still have the orginial charlie and his mate you read about in that thread

Last edited:
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sweet guys thanks!!

CEE - Thanks and yea I need to visit Matt!

Elite - Awesome bro thank you!!!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If anybody knows where I can buy a breeding pair of clowns please let me know. I would also love a pair of breeding black clowns like in your thread bro....

Thanks.

EliteReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have another pair ready in about i month. they have been paired up since birth. they are true black and whites and have 0 orange at all. Very rish dark black and super bright white with a blueish hue to it sometimes. These are 8 generations removed from wild and VERY hardy

i will have another proven breeding pair in dec. have been laying batches like clock work for more then 2 years.

to be honest though i dont find buying proven pairs are worth the cost. once you change the Environment they have just as good of chance of breeding again as an unproven pair.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'll take the black pair next month then bro!! PM me with the cost! ;)

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys/gals if I wanted to try and pair of some Banggai Cardinals how would I do that?

Should I get several of them and see?

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just get a 150 gallon rubbermaid, get about 200-300 pounds of live rock...cure it, and then tie the whole thing into your existing system if able.

Will give you a lot of extra water volume, a &^%* load of bio filtration, and would be a haven for bangaii's. thats what i would and will be doing=)

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 29 53.7%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.7%
Back