RO membrane stuck cap

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Are the membrane caps a pain to take off.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

slayertx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ...

I bought this RO membrane replacement for my BRS ro/di unit. My wife says I was way more excited than one should be at getting it in. However I am a reefer.

So I take apart the tubes and get the unit off but then the top cap wouldn't come off. I am by no means a small guy started questioning my man hood. I asked the wife to help and she got mad at me when I almost ripped her hand off trying to torque on the cap.

Next I seriously found my self looking to see if BRS had made a video over how to remove a cap!

NOPE.

So I did what any man would do. Feed my buddies a few beers and hand it to them as a challenge.

They all failed and soon it became more than a challenge and we had "bizarre guy on guy twisting action with grunts" according to the ladies in the crowd. I had to reassure them this thing was not glued on (please tell me it's not).

No dice. I had to stop the the challenge short of the most logical answer of trying to put it in a vice and go buy the largest pair of channel locks known to man out of fear of actually damaging the canister. I keep having to remind my friends this is just PVC. Some noted they could "get that thing apart but I wouldn't be able to use it again via explosives".

I can't help but wonder if there is some trick I am missing. Does anyone have a trick for getting these things apart or do you just buy a whole new canister and membrane in 1? Are vice's or hydraulics needed lol.

None the less THANKS BRS! You provided a unexpected night of entertainment by getting a group of guys questioning our man hood and our wife's laughing at us hysterically.

Your replies, tips and tricks are very much appreciated.

Philt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a link to the unit you have? I thought most R.O. membranes were replaced in whole with connectors going into and out of them.

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swapped mine out about 3 months ago. Did not have any of the issues you described. Maybe it was over torqued on yours and locked up the threads? worse case scenario, give them a call and tell them your struggles. They have excellent customer service and maybe will send you a replacement membrane housing.

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a link to the unit you have? I thought most R.O. membranes were replaced in whole with connectors going into and out of them.
For the BRS units, the membranes sit in a PVC housing with a screw on cap at the end.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They screw on and off. Sometimes they can be a little tight. Use a wrench. Need a little lubricant on the o-ring when you put it back together.

I use food grade silicone lubricant on my o-rings occasionally.

Last edited:

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar problem, think I got the hottest tap water running and ran it over the cap, then used a towel to not rip my hands on the ridges. I was able to get it open that way.

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silly question, but have you tried using a can opener grip (rubber things, I dont know what they're exactly called)?

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to use a small oil fileter wrench to get mine of. The thing was so dang tight I honestly thought I was going to have to replace it. Oul filter wrench was a last ditch effort but it worked.

OP
OP
slayertx

slayertx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silly question, but have you tried using a can opener grip (rubber things, I dont know what they're exactly called)?

No that would not be practical as there is the 1/4" inlet at the top. I am trying to find some rubber belt wrenches and see if that works

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a leather belt.

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replaced mine last week (BRS 4 stage value) and mine just slipped RIGHT off lol... took a pair of dishwashing gloves and a LOT of grunt but yah... I had to take a few breaks and come back to it but hey 3rd time's the charm :)

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of muscle and those rubber coated gloves usually cracks mine. Once in a while I do need the channel locks though. I totally agree with food grade silicone on the o ring as well. Helps the o rings last longer and not bind up.

OP
OP
slayertx

slayertx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 3..

Belt trick did not work... headed to harbor freight for strap wrenches.

Told my wife it was a nessacery expense and they also dub as can openers.

She simply replied "well there goes your job security"

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back