exactlyobp

exactlyobp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hey JB, thanks for the bump!

A few updates.
I keep losing fish. Some to unknown, some human error and/or disease related... so i set up a hospital/quarantine tank using 37 gallon tank.

AIO filtering divider;

Test fit

Painted the filter section with peel off paint;

Im in the process of catching the last fish (wrasse) to medicate all of the fish. The plan is to medicate all the fish, wait for the ich to die off in the display, fatten up some new fish meanwhile. Sounds like a plan?

Jmblec2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure does. I QT all fish for atleast 1 month. I think I've got roughly 19 fish in my tank. I'm posting an update spon

OP
OP
exactlyobp

exactlyobp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure does. I QT all fish for atleast 1 month. I think I've got roughly 19 fish in my tank. I'm posting an update spon

Ya, I remember your QT setup. I should've done it long time ago. I need to add more fish! I look forward to the update for sure! I enjoy the vid a lot!

-----------
Update 2;

I always run BP or other NO3/PO4 reducer in the system. I run BP on this system, but the corals are very pale, like dangerously pale. NO3/PO4 is zero from the beginning. So I keep adding fish but i keep losing them.. but im working on that part as you see above ↑.

So I started to look into algae reactors for the "natural" way to reduce nutrients rather than other methods. ReefBuilder wrote some article about them among others, and I came across a used Skimz MBR157 for $75, couldnt pass up. Anyway, here are some pics;

Retails $330, and there was not too much info on the seller's page i was skeptic about it but no missing parts!

The base was cracked but Weld-On took care of it in 5 min.

DC pump to control the flow;

Red/Warm white/Royal blue LEDs;

Top lid;

Ive read some reviews about this O ring not fitting right, but you dont want it to be loose. If you "twist" it and it stays no issue.

Disco color!

In action;

I plan to recude BP little by little and remove it eventually.

This is how much i placed initially. See how it goes;

Im running the pump 24/7 and the light is on continuously for the time being. Ill tweak the photo period down the road.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!

Sorry about the fish. :-(

How are the corals?

Jmblec2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen good Growth? I had some strange algae in my tank forever. Was consuming all my phosphate and nitrate finally got it id'd and I think I have it under control. Completely took my bp reactor off line. We will see how it goes.

OP
OP
exactlyobp

exactlyobp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!

Sorry about the fish. :-(

How are the corals?

Thanks Cheryl, means a lot!

FTS as of now;

Came across with ATI 48" T5 light a while back. Added RW8 for more flow on the other side.

Ok coral close ups;

Aussie microclados;

Its pale! it used to have dark rich green and purple color, but it looks like a SSC in a Zeo tank!

Baby ice stag;

It stopped growing..

Blue tip tenuis;

Not so blue anymore..

Oregon tort;

Lost rich dark color..

Cali tort;

Growing decently, but not rich enough in color..

ORA Laura's Purple polyp acro;

This could be my favorite acro. but pale..

I just received the Julian's thing so i can target feed corals with ReefRoid. Ill keep it updated.

OP
OP
exactlyobp

exactlyobp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen good Growth? I had some strange algae in my tank forever. Was consuming all my phosphate and nitrate finally got it id'd and I think I have it under control. Completely took my bp reactor off line. We will see how it goes.

Its still too soon to tell as far as the growth goes... The Chaeto and the BP are competing each other, I will reduce the pellets amount.

Jmblec2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took half to 3/4ths. Then waited 2 weeks and did the rest. You are starving the corals.

Ortho281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to also cut back on your WC's until you get nutrient levels back up, and consider adding more fish to increase your bioload?

OP
OP
exactlyobp

exactlyobp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to also cut back on your WC's until you get nutrient levels back up, and consider adding more fish to increase your bioload?
Thanks for your input, I agree, Im doing water changes every 7 days since last week. Took the BP offline yesterday, see what happens!

OP
OP
exactlyobp

exactlyobp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a new fish yesterday!

Supposedly from Red sea, love this angel;

Best part is.. she is eating! :

Took a few bites at PE mysis, gave her reefFrenzy, and ate!

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 168 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back