Show me some extremely rare wrasse

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unsure of how the goldflake angel would react not added anymore fish since i added him he seems peaceful though
Angels can be ruthless when established and have territory. I would first put a photo against the side of the tank and see if he cares. I assume your only wrasse in the tank is the Chrysus which shouldn’t be an issue.

Your tangs may also show more aggression towards this guy as he will be another cave dweller and take up more territory.
Again, why do you want a rare wrasse? Why not a ‘common’ Lubbocki or similar ‘common’ species?

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen black tangs come through stores but not too often because they're expensive. Reefpro has several in stock right now. Although they shouldn't be housed in a tank smaller than 180g.
I have an eye on a 5 inch black tang at a Lfs in SoCal, asking $1,000, if things go well this weekend I'm going back to buy it. Fat and healthy and needs to be large so my fish will give it a look, and I'll intervine as I have em trained almost as well as my dogs. Should have bought it when I spotted it but it wasn't a good idea with me leaving for 4 days tomorrow. My wife is on it but she's afraid to reach in the tank because she thinks the Japanese Dragon Eel is gonna eat her! So I'm gonna stuff all of them with food tomorrow morning so she doesn't have to feed em while I'm gone.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking to add some more fish to my tank can't add more tangs what are some extremely rare wrasse the more expensive the better
Here's my female Chameleon Broomtail wrasse, the males colors are out of control. Rare and $$$$$
20230205_143530.jpg
20230205_143622.jpg
20230205_143601.jpg

OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Angels can be ruthless when established and have territory. I would first put a photo against the side of the tank and see if he cares. I assume your only wrasse in the tank is the Chrysus which shouldn’t be an issue.

Your tangs may also show more aggression towards this guy as he will be another cave dweller and take up more territory.
Again, why do you want a rare wrasse? Why not a ‘common’ Lubbocki or similar ‘common’ species?
the rare wrasse are better looking

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Not real rare and I have no idea what I paid for it as it is old. But these Possums stay small. They also make one with more stripes.

Lol @ they make one.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the rare wrasse are better looking
This really isn’t the case all the time…
I’ve seen some stunning common wrasses. I mean Cirrhilabrus isosceles isn’t truly rare but look at those colours and Cirrhilabrus lubbocki is another.
The only thing that makes rare fish better looking is, well the rarity and even then it’s not worth the hassle 24/7.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So cool... Will it not eat your pipefish when it gets big? I have no idea how fast they grow though. I just thought they ate small fish as adults along with inverts.
No, my fish all have an understanding and they are not allowed to eat each other. Besides, I think my pipefish can take him in a fair fight. I have had them before and gave them away when they became annoying. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mauritian flasher wrasse
atavai sunset wrasse
Earle's wrasse
Squire's wrasse
Nahacky's wrasse
Femininus wrasse
Bell's wrasse

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mauritian flasher wrasse
atavai sunset wrasse
Earle's wrasse
Squire's wrasse
Nahacky's wrasse
Femininus wrasse
Bell's wrasse
Do you own all of these?

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have cared for god knows how many rare fish after working in an LFS and here’s what I will say about rare;
It may be good and bring attraction to your tank but is it actually worth it?
I currently own multiple rare-uncommon fish and out of those 8-9, only two are actually relatively easy to care for. Even then those 2 have their own difficulties with Jumping and venom.
The others are difficult for a multitude of reasons;
Feeding
Settling them into captivity
Keeping them disease free
Keeping them fat
Not having them get outcompeted for anything
Hard to actually keep in the tank

In the grand scheme of things, rare isn’t always good. It may be fun to look at a tank full of rare fish and corals but just think of how much effort is actually put into keeping them thriving. Yes I love my CBB and say it’s easy but in the background, I’m replenishing pods on a weekly basis, I’m always feeding huge amounts into both tanks and more. It’s only easy because I’m keeping ontop of alive foods and feeding much more than just mysis and brine.
This is just the top draw of my freezer.
image.jpg
Your copper band butterfly eats pods a lot? Do you think a CBB is a pod competitor?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your copper band butterfly eats pods a lot? Do you think a CBB is a pod competitor?
He does eat pods but I wouldn’t say he’s a competitor as he isn’t strictly a pod and frozen only eater. He eats almost everything in the rock except the sponges (My regal Angel takes those).

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This really isn’t the case all the time…
I’ve seen some stunning common wrasses. I mean Cirrhilabrus isosceles isn’t truly rare but look at those colours and Cirrhilabrus lubbocki is another.
The only thing that makes rare fish better looking is, well the rarity and even then it’s not worth the hassle 24/7.
IMG_5937.jpeg

Are you trying to tell mw this common, boring blue flasher wrasse isn't a million times uglier than this bloody fairy wrasse that is infinitely more rare!?!?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 14 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 32 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 122 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.3%
Back