OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I did a thing today, or more accurately 2 things... figured I'd give tiles another try since they're gonna go in the 180 gallon after quarantine. Hoplolatilus randalli and Hoplolatilus marcosi! Both have been at the store about a month and eating like champs! They were schooling with a group of zebra darts as well, so grabbed 3 of those to keep them company in quarantine and act as dithers. The same store I grabbed them from also has a 7" Randall's tile, absolutely amazing looking, but couldn't bring myself to spend that much when I got the nice looking juvenile for half the price.

20230520_152210.jpg
20230520_152233.jpg
They’re both beautiful!

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And he also came right out for feeding today! Previous to this video he came all the way up where you could see his entire body but in this video he didn’t really do that.

Well… Attempt #2 failed. I don’t seem to have ever updated on it but he just vanished without a trace (as tiles are known to do). I can’t think of a reason as to why he did vanish as he was eating incredibly well he just didn’t come out and be as active.

It’s a species I’ll likely hold off of for a while now and likely won’t get for a few years until I have a tank I can centre around a pair.

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well… Attempt #2 failed. I don’t seem to have ever updated on it but he just vanished without a trace (as tiles are known to do). I can’t think of a reason as to why he did vanish as he was eating incredibly well he just didn’t come out and be as active.

It’s a species I’ll likely hold off of for a while now and likely won’t get for a few years until I have a tank I can centre around a pair.
how long had it vanished for maybe it's just hiding and will reappear?

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how long had it vanished for maybe it's just hiding and will reappear?
He’s been gone for a few months now unfortunately, I didn’t update straight away assuming he may just be hiding however I’ve not seen him for maybe 3 months now.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a large water change before adding them to quarantine, hence the cloudy water, but they're in! The skunk tile is already out and about schooling with the zebra dartfish, and the Randall's picked out a cave to check things out from.

Both tiles seemed to handle their 5 minute freshwater bath pretty well, and are now in with prazi. I have cupramine at 0.5 in with them now, as that is what they were in at the store.

20230520_165319.jpg
20230520_165359.jpg
20230520_165649.jpg

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS has a beautiful oreni!
IMG_6525.jpeg
IMG_6526.jpeg
IMG_6523.jpeg
Too pricey for my budget lol. Plus I think I like the rest of the species better.

My favorites in order:
H. marcosi
H. randalli
H. starckii
H. chlupatyi
H. purpureus
H. fourmanoiri
H. luteus
H. oreni

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too pricey for my budget lol. Plus I think I like the rest of the species better.

My favorites in order:
H. marcosi
H. randalli
H. starckii
H. chlupatyi
H. purpureus
H. fourmanoiri
H. luteus
H. oreni
I’ve honestly found Oreni to be ugly unless under blues.

My favourites would be;
H. chlupatyi
H. marocsi
H. luteus
H. cuniculus
H. randalli
H. pohle
H. starcki
H. purpureus
H. erdmanii
H. fronticinctus
H. fourmanoiri
H. geo
H. oreni

Only one of those species isn’t available to the hobby from what I know which is H. geo.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My favorites in order:
H. marcosi
H. randalli
H. starckii
H. chlupatyi
H. purpureus
H. fourmanoiri
H. luteus
H. oreni
It’s $600 at my LFS which is comparatively cheap but out of my price range.
I’ve honestly found Oreni to be ugly unless under blues.
This one is spectacular and is so bold and fun but yes I’ve only seen it under blues.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the Zebras!
They might just be the perfect dither for a tilefish. Hence why I grabbed 3 at the store today when I grabbed these 2. Didn't hurt that they had a school of about 50 of the zebra darts that all looked fantastic, and were already in with the tiles either.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They might just be the perfect dither for a tilefish. Hence why I grabbed 3 at the store today when I grabbed these 2. Didn't hurt that they had a school of about 50 of the zebra darts that all looked fantastic, and were already in with the tiles either.
They burrow don’t they? Or at least find a hole in a rock near the ground? All the ones I’ve seen are in a hole in the sand under a rock or just above the sand

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They burrow don’t they? Or at least find a hole in a rock near the ground? All the ones I’ve seen are in a hole in the sand under a rock or just above the sand
Tilefish and Dartfish behave incredibly similarly.
Both will find a crevice in the rock near to the sand and then dig the sand to make a mini ditch in the rocks.
Often in the settling in period of 4-6 days this is what they’re doing. They’re not scared of tank mates but instead making a burrow whilst acclimating to the lighting. I find this to be similar with Dartfish when settling in.

I’ve only had personal experience with H. chlupatyi but have cared for all the species in the genus except H. geo. From seeing Chlupatyi in a reef system and behaving naturally they generally hover just a few inches away from their chosen home and don’t swim much unless feeding.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So no issue mixing tilefish? I've got a purple and would like to add a skunk. I've got a 4x2x2 tank. Peaceful inhabitants. Purple is fairly new but has settled in nicely. This is my attempt at kicking the wrasse habit. :)

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So no issue mixing tilefish? I've got a purple and would like to add a skunk. I've got a 4x2x2 tank. Peaceful inhabitants. Purple is fairly new but has settled in nicely. This is my attempt at kicking the wrasse habit. :)
I haven't had issues in the past, but I know others have. I credit my past success to lots of other tankmates to draw attention away and a large tank (these are going in a 6x2x2 180 gallon, and my previous gang were in an 8x4x19" 380 gallon).

So far these 2 get along great. They're even sharing a burrow in quarantine.

20230521_213855.jpg
20230521_213848.jpg
20230521_213904.jpg
20230521_213904.jpg

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a batch of flashing tile going through the LA market right now. Lmk if anyone is interested. I know someone who has access to them. Around 3”. $200 local pickup & $260 shipped.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 106 76.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back