Show off your tilefish!

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now in acclimation, this is a gorgeous species for sure.
IMG_6575.jpeg
Well fed

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s out and happy! Nobody seems to care (as usual, I find tiles get ignored by everything). Enjoy a quick video of feeding time.

And of course some photos. I love how his eye is bright blue as it just stands out so much.
IMG_6594.jpeg

IMG_6593.jpeg

LeonardTheWrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calling all tilefish owners and experts, what is your opinions on tilefish for a relatively beginner reefer?

Skunk tilefish, purple tilefish, yellow tilefish or blue head tilefish?

I've been looking at them with the intention to just get a plain old firefish and be done with it, but these guys I can actually get here, it seems.

If I would start off with a tilefish, which one would be the easiest, best to get as someone who hasn't owned one before?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calling all tilefish owners and experts, what is your opinions on tilefish for a relatively beginner reefer?

Skunk tilefish, purple tilefish, yellow tilefish or blue head tilefish?

I've been looking at them with the intention to just get a plain old firefish and be done with it, but these guys I can actually get here, it seems.

If I would start off with a tilefish, which one would be the easiest, best to get as someone who hasn't owned one before?
I would say they are all fairly easy. Just make sure you have a good lid as they jump. @i cant think ?

Plzpizza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried Prazipro on them are they tolerant of it?

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried Prazipro on them are they tolerant of it?
I've done prazi pro and cupramine without issue. Others have reported issues with copper, but I saw no ill effects.

I've also treated them with formalin, acriflavine, metronidazole, and kanamycin without issue.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done prazi pro and cupramine without issue. Others have reported issues with copper, but I saw no ill effects.

I've also treated them with formalin, acriflavine, metronidazole, and kanamycin without issue.
It’s entirely dependant on species, a Blue Throat, Purple and Marcosi can likely go through Copper rather well (with some specimens not doing too well). Whereas a Flashing Tilefish shouldn’t even come close to a QT tank due to how sensitive they are.

Plzpizza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a oreni tilefish and a blue head tile fish

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a oreni tilefish and a blue head tile fish
You can, I wouldn’t risk it with an Oreni personally. The Blue Head should work however at the end of the day, it boils down to Tilefish don’t really do well in copper and I assume if you’re doing Prazi you’ll do Copper.

Plzpizza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can, I wouldn’t risk it with an Oreni personally. The Blue Head should work however at the end of the day, it boils down to Tilefish don’t really do well in copper and I assume if you’re doing Prazi you’ll do Copper.
I won’t be doing copper but I have to do Prazi. The blue head seems to have flukes but only very minimal. They have been eating for a few weeks now in a minimal scaped tank few rocks and sand

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@i cant think you have a tilefish! Love those, have any recent photos/videos? Also are they messy eaters?
I have currently got a Marcosi and have previously had Flashing Tiles and cared for most other species available except Oreni - I’m not too keen on this species anyway personally.

Messy eaters? Nope, they’re not too dissimilar to the wrasses. IMO, they are what you’d get if you mix a very personable wrasse with a Firefish.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won’t be doing copper but I have to do Prazi. The blue head seems to have flukes but only very minimal. They have been eating for a few weeks now in a minimal scaped tank few rocks and sand
Dose it much slower than you usually would, and make sure they continue to feed the whole time. If they stop feeding, you’ll likely want to quit dosing Prazi until they feed again.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These,ime, do best in an established observation tank for 8-12 weeks. The less stress the better.

13172.jpeg
Do you still have Purples? They’re still on my list if I ever get room for another tilefish (that and another Marcosi).

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back