Some Simple Tips for Keeping Zoanthids Happy, Healthy, and Growing Fast

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you use Josh?
Me coral dip but in reality a lot of the pests hide deep in the rocks so no dip gets to it. I trained my kids to go in the mornings with an blue led flashlight and a baster and suck any critters they can hahahah.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still keep Bayer but I've gone to using high dose flatworm exit as a coral dip. I do it mostly to avoid flat worms because it's not easy ime to find a fish that will eradicate those. Flatworm exit also kills nudi very well. I ran a test with red planaria to see what works best of our all common dips and flatworm exit was hands down best followed by iodine then Bayer. Coral rx did nothing the flatworms might actually done better after the recommended coral rx dip lol. That stuff is plain old garbage.

Best hunting wrasse I've ever had for nudi etc is lightning wrasse. Literally will hunt a frag while it's in my hand still. Dusky wrasse for red planaria. Dusky is unreal.

I'll edit in that although iodine dip was great for pests, it can be harsh on corals. I'd not suggest using iodine for coral dip.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me coral dip but in reality a lot of the pests hide deep in the rocks so no dip gets to it. I trained my kids to go in the mornings with an blue led flashlight and a baster and suck any critters they can hahahah.

I still keep Bayer but I've gone to using high dose flatworm exit as a coral dip. I do it mostly to avoid flat worms because it's not easy ime to find a fish that will eradicate those. Flatworm exit also kills nudi very well. I ran a test with red planaria to see what works best of our all common dips and flatworm exit was hands down best followed by iodine then Bayer. Coral rx did nothing the flatworms might actually done better after the recommended coral rx dip lol. That stuff is plain old garbage.

Best hunting wrasse I've ever had for nudi etc is lightning wrasse. Literally will hunt a frag while it's in my hand still. Dusky wrasse for red planaria. Dusky is unreal.

I'll edit in that although iodine dip was great for pests, it can be harsh on corals. I'd not suggest using iodine for coral dip.
I had read here a long dose of FWE will kill eggs. Thoughts? Not a big fan of poisons really. I like the rest of my bugs too much. But I have had some Zoa colonies that went south.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used it and they were alive even after adding a lot of bayer so i stopped using it altogether

WOW! I cannot Imagine Not Using Bayer.

I have actually Thrown Corals Out Because I was too Tired after the Frag Swap to Dip Them so I Left them in the Bag Overnight (Next Day they were Dead) (These that Died were Acros - Usually Most Corals will Survive the Next Day)

But I am not going to Risk Getting Pests in My Tanks (NO WAY).

I Cannot Stress this Enough.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Another Reason I Love Bayer is because it is the LEAST Stressful Dip For Coral.

In the Past it was always said that you cannot use ANY Dips for Smooth Skinned Deepwater Acros because they would Kill them.

Well I have Dipped Red Dragpn Acros in Bayer and they Never Died or got Stressed Out at All.

So that Theory was Proved Wrong Once People Started Using Bayer.

I Keep a 6 Line Wrasse in Every Tank for Pest Control just in Case any Pest got Past the Bayer (Due to me not seeing Eggs that May be Hidden Very Very Well).

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had read here a long dose of FWE will kill eggs. Thoughts? Not a big fan of poisons really. I like the rest of my bugs too much. But I have had some Zoa colonies that went south.

I have Never Dealt with Flatworms (Thank God) but know people who have and I have read many accounts Online where Flatworm Exit Did NOT Kill the Flatworms (Many of these People Did Multiple Doses - As much as 10 TIMES What you are supposed to Do)!

For Others it worked in 1 or 2 Regular Doses.

I think it Depends what Type of Flatworn you actually have.

Some are much more resilient than others.

Nothing Kills Eggs.

They are Coated in Something that Prevents Dips From Getting to Them.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and yea me too. Not as well as Peroxide. Ive been told that'll melt a sensitive zoa. Ive had mixed results, peroxide is pretty harsh.

Yeah, Peroxide Kills EVERYTHING Instantly.

As Soon as You Drop a Frag in Peroxide Everything Floats Right Up (Pods, Asterina Stars, Little Serpent Stars, Everything).

It Even Kills Algae.

But is the Most Harsh Dip Out There.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW! I cannot Imagine Not Using Bayer.

I have actually Thrown Corals Out Because I was too Tired after the Frag Swap to Dip Them so I Left them in the Bag Overnight (Next Day they were Dead) (These that Died were Acros - Usually Most Corals will Survive the Next Day)

But I am not going to Risk Getting Pests in My Tanks (NO WAY).

I Cannot Stress this Enough.
What are you using to dip? Also I agree about the fwe not working on all flatworms some are very resistant. I had some that luckily I saw on the frag plug. Hit them with iodine if fwe doesn't work. If your using coral rx or something like that your shooting blanks.

Bayer is best for acros though. It's always kept aefw of and red bugs out for me and I buy ridiculous amount of corals.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using to dip? Also I agree about the fwe not working on all flatworms some are very resistant. I had some that luckily I saw on the frag plug. Hit them with iodine if fwe doesn't work. If your using coral rx or something like that your shooting blanks.

Bayer is best for acros though. It's always kept aefw of and red bugs out for me and I buy ridiculous amount of corals.

I only Use Bayer.

All Corals Get an Aggressive Bayer Dip.

Fabian Flores

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Talked To and Read About quite a few People who have been Having Trouble Keeping Zoanthids so I decided to Make this Thread to Help them Out. :)

Here are My Tips for Happy, Healthy, and Fast Growing Zoanthids.

1. Bayer Dip
2. Keep Everything Stable
3. Feed, Feed, Feed
4. Higher Light and Higher Flow (Generally Speaking)
5. Keep an Eye Out for POX
6. Do Regular Water Changes
7. Don't Buy Animals that Might Go After Zoanthids

1. Bayer Dip -

- No Coral (And I mean no Coral) goes into my Tank without an Aggressive Bayer Dip for 15 Minutes.
- Then I check for Eggs with a High Powered Magnifying Glass with a Built in LED Light Used by Coin Collectors.
- Bayer Kills the Pests but Does NOT Kill the Eggs.
- Zoanthids are Targeted by More Pests than any Other Coral (Nudibranches, Spiders, Sundial Snails, etc.)

http://www.zoaid.com/index.php?module=Gallery2&g2_itemId=384

See the Above Link for all things that can Kill Your Zoanthids!

P.S. I put a 6 Line Wrasse in Every Tank as they LOVE to Eat Pests. Without Fail Every Time I add a New Frag the 6 Line Wrasse Swims Over and Sticks His Nose in Every Nook and Cranny Inspecting for Pests. These Guys are AMAZING and Every Tank Tank Should have a 6 Line Wrasse for Pest Control!

2. Keep Everything Stable -

For Me
Temperature - 77 Degrees
Salinity - 1.026
Alkalinity - 8.5
Calcium - 480
Magnesium - 1440

- Test, Test, Test (I cannot Stress this Enough).
- I Test and Dose Every Day on 6 Tanks (2 of the Tanks I Test and Dose Twice a Day - Once in the Morning and Once at Night).
- My Alkalinity Does not Drop more than 0.3 a Day.
- Remember Alkalinity is Depleted more than anything Else in a Reef Tank and is the Most Important thing to Keep Stable which is Why I Test So Much.

3. Feed, Feed, Feed -

- Don't Listen to anybody that says you should have Zero Nitrate and Zero Phosphate with Zoanthids.
- They LOVE Food!
- I feed 3 Times a Week.

I Feed 4 Different Foods to my Corals

1. Reef Roids
2. BRS Reef Chili
3. Seachem AquaVitro Fuel (Vitamin and Ammino Acid Supplement)
4. Larry's Reef Frenzy Frozen Food (LRS)

Here is my Feeding Schedule

Tuesday -

- Reef Roids
- BRS Reef Chili
- Seachem AquaVitro Fuel (Vitamin and Ammino Acid Supplement)

I mix all 3 Together in some Tank Water

Friday -

- Reef Roids
- BRS Reef Chili
- Seachem AquaVitro Fuel (Vitamin and Ammino Acid Supplement)

I mix all 3 Together in some Tank Water

Sunday -

- Larry's Reef Frenzy Frozen Food (LRS)

LRS is more for my Acans and Chalices which I Target Feed after Chopping it Up Fine with a Razor Blade but there are Fine Particle Coral Foods in LRS that the Zoanthids can Use.

4. Higher Light and Higher Flow (Generally Speaking) -

Unfortunately alot of people will Classify Softies like Zoanthids as Low Light / Low Flow Corals.

I think this is at least Partly Due to the Fact that Softies are More Forgiving Corals than SPS and LPS and a Lot of New People are Told to Start with these Corals when they enter the Hobby. Most people when starting out typically do not have a lot of light and flow so I think alot of LFS's just tell the New Hobbyist this because they know the Corals will Probably not Die on Them.

Now they may Live in These Conditions and Tolerate Low Light / Low Flow but they will not Thrive and be Healthy and Grow Fast in these Conditions.

- Remember not all Zoanthids are the Same.
- Some will do better in Lower Light and Flow.
- But in My Experience Most will Grow Faster, Have Bigger Polyps, and Better Color in Higher Light / Higher Flow Tanks.

5. Keep an Eye Out for POX -

I used to get Pox Outbreaks Quite Often When I Did Not Feed My Corals and Had Zero Nitrate and Zero Phosphate.

But Since I have been Feeding Heavily I have never gotten it :) so I feel that Poorly Fed Zoanthids are Prone to POX because of this.

I have also Read that some people feel that it comes from Changing of the Seasons or Temperature Drops in the Tank and I have noticed POX from both of these Situations (Fall to Winter and Spring to Summer Time, Power Goes Out and Temperature Drops - Boom POX the Next Day).

Thank God I do not get POX anymore (What a Nightmare) :(

If you get POX Dip the Zoanthids in Furan-2

Furan-2 can be found at your LFS (It is usually used to Treat Fungus on Freshwater Fish)

- Dip Once a Day for 3 Days in a Row.
- Wait 4 Days and if POX is still there Repeat.

6. Do Regular Water Changes -

- Do Water Changes on a Regular Basis.
- Water Changes will Help Take Out Excess Nutrients.
- They also help Replace Minerals that were Used Up in Coral Growth (Calcium, Magnesium, Strontium, etc.)

7. Don't Buy Animals that Might Go After Zoanthids -

- Angelfish
- Butterflies
- Foxface (Rabbitfish)

Hopefully these Tips will Help Some People Out that are Having Issues Keeping Zoanthids :)

Excellent thread,

Do you have any pictures of your tank?

Also, what else do you keep with the zoas? any lps or sps?

Any other softy?

Thanks

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent thread,

Do you have any pictures of your tank?

Also, what else do you keep with the zoas? any lps or sps?

Any other softy?

Thanks

Thank You :)

I have Pics but not on my Computer so I cannot Post Any Right Now.

I have 6 Tanks and All have at Least Some Zoanthids.

Some of the Tanks are Mostly Zoanthids.

Other Corals I Keep are

Acans
Chalices
Acropora
Montipora
Favia
Leptoseris
Leptastrea
Cyphastrea
Hammer
Frogspawn
Torch
Birds Nest
Stylophora

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice write up !!!!
I can't seem to get rid of
Hair algee. .

Thank You :)

Tiger Trochus
Tiger Trochus
Tiger Trochus

I cannot Stress that Enough.

They Plow through Hair Algae and are the Only Cleanup Crew that I use.

There is a Reason People Call them the "Cadillac of Snails"

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 87 79.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.6%
Back