Some Simple Tips for Keeping Zoanthids Happy, Healthy, and Growing Fast

RobberyinCSharp1824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this writeup, guys!
My zoas are okay but most of them die off or don't grow at all and I've been really bummed out about it. I just bought a really beautiful zoa that I care about quite a bit and would love to see it grow, as it's only 1 polyp. I'll have to try this method out!

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this writeup, guys!
My zoas are okay but most of them die off or don't grow at all and I've been really bummed out about it. I just bought a really beautiful zoa that I care about quite a bit and would love to see it grow, as it's only 1 polyp. I'll have to try this method out!

Your Welcome :)

Sorry to hear you are having some issues keeping Zoanthids.

Are you following any of my tips?

If so which ones?

Also, Please Keep in Mind that you should not expect a ton of growth right away.

I know everybody says Zoanthids are Fast Growers (And they Generally are compared to most other Corals) but every time you put a Zoanthid (Or any Coral for that Matter) into a new envirornment it takes time for the Zoanthid to get used to its new surroundings.

The Person you bought it from most likely had Different Lights, Different Flow, Different Salinity, Different Alkalinity, Different Temperature, etc. than your Tank Does.

It just takes time for the Coral to Adjust.

Secondly, the Bigger the Coral the Faster it Grows.

If you buy a 4 Polyp Frag it is going to Grow Faster than buying a 1 Polyp Frag (Generally Speaking).

When I get a 1 Polyp Frag it can typically take 3 or 4 Months before I see a Second Polyp.

But then at 5 Months I might have 4 Polyps.

And at 6 Months I might have 8 Polyps.

The Bigger a Coral Gets the Faster it Grows.

enzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about cloves polyps? I dipped mine that I bought last week and they wouldn't open. When I tried to move them to a different spot they disintegrated. I used the bayer and It was a lighter dose than what's recommend because I didn't want to hurt it. I put it in a low to medium flow and light.

adestafi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about cloves polyps? I dipped mine that I bought last week and they wouldn't open. When I tried to move them to a different spot they disintegrated. I used the bayer and It was a lighter dose than what's recommend because I didn't want to hurt it. I put it in a low to medium flow and light.
Give them time to adjust. I put mine on the sand bed in a medium flow area for a week to allow them to acclimate to my tank. Just yesterday I moved them to where I wanted them permanently. don't toss them just yet, they may come back. I dipped mine in coral rx and they're doing fine

enzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really they could come back? they fell apart like a dried up leaf

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Welcome :)

Sorry to hear you are having some issues keeping Zoanthids.

Are you following any of my tips?

If so which ones?

Also, Please Keep in Mind that you should not expect a ton of growth right away.

I know everybody says Zoanthids are Fast Growers (And they Generally are compared to most other Corals) but every time you put a Zoanthid (Or any Coral for that Matter) into a new envirornment it takes time for the Zoanthid to get used to its new surroundings.

The Person you bought it from most likely had Different Lights, Different Flow, Different Salinity, Different Alkalinity, Different Temperature, etc. than your Tank Does.

It just takes time for the Coral to Adjust.

Secondly, the Bigger the Coral the Faster it Grows.

If you buy a 4 Polyp Frag it is going to Grow Faster than buying a 1 Polyp Frag (Generally Speaking).

When I get a 1 Polyp Frag it can typically take 3 or 4 Months before I see a Second Polyp.

But then at 5 Months I might have 4 Polyps.

And at 6 Months I might have 8 Polyps.

The Bigger a Coral Gets the Faster it Grows.

This is the best piece of advice I can think of , everybody wants results in growth but they buy 1 polyp frags , try and start your brood stock with a 5-8 polyp colony and it will grow at least a polyp a month even kraks !!! where as even a single dragon eye (fast growers) will take a while to establish enough resources to expand its self . Its a communal effort the energy collection so more = better !

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Never Kept Clove Polyps so I am not sure about their care.

Bayer will not hurt anything by the way.

I know people that use 10 times the Dosage and I know of people that forgot about the corals and left them in the dip for many hours.

Nothing bad happened to any of these Corals :)

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really they could come back? they fell apart like a dried up leaf

At that point they probably won't make it back but you never know.

Keep it in the Tank until there is Absolutly Nothing Left of Them.

I once had a Plate Coral that Lost Almost All of its Tissue.

90 Percent of it was White Skeleton!

I thought it was going to completely die the next day for sure.

But it made a Full Recovery and the Tissue Grew Back Over the Whole Plate Coral and it Tripled in Size!

I was Amazed :)

enzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay good to hear, I like those stories. I haven't thrown it away it's somewhere in the tank.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good and needed information. Can we see a pic of your zoas and how long have you had them?

I have been Reefing for 6.5 Years and have been Focusing Heavily on Zoanthids for about the Last 2 Years.

I will get some Pics Very Soon.

Been Very Very Busy and I do not have a Fancy Camera so Pics do not come out Super Nice Like Joshporksandwich's Pictures Do :(

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some People asked for Pictures of my Zoanthids so Here they are.

1 Zoanthid Frags 1.jpg

1 Zoanthid Frags 2.jpg

1 Zoanthid Frags 3.jpg

Bloodsuckers.jpg

Bloodsuckers

Candy Apple Reds.jpg

Candy Apple Reds

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 78 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.1%
Back