Something is VERY wrong with my fish

Lynn52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There aren't many options if you want to cure the fish and the tank. You need to get the rest of the fish into QT. Treat all the fish with copper since you aren't sure if it is ich or velvet. That means pull everything out of the tank drain most of the water and the fish won't be very hard to catch. You can then put the tank back together and let it go fallow for the recomended 72 days. There really isn't any other option especially if it is velvet.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how I should feel. QT fish seem OK. All are eating except for my Yellow Scopas, or at least I haven't seen him eat. All fish in the DT: Dracula Goby, Golden Pygmy Angel, Lunatus, Lanceolatus CF and Hooded wrasse seem OK. No visible signs of anything.

@Humblefish Quick question. This Dr G's Anti Parasitic Caviar with Chloroquine Phosphate. If this stuff works by curing from the "inside", how does it? Does it build the fish's immune system up so the parasites can't host and then fall off and die? Im confused. I reached out to the them but haven't gotten any answer yes.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how I should feel. QT fish seem OK. All are eating except for my Yellow Scopas, or at least I haven't seen him eat. All fish in the DT: Dracula Goby, Golden Pygmy Angel, Lunatus, Lanceolatus CF and Hooded wrasse seem OK. No visible signs of anything.

@Humblefish Quick question. This Dr G's Anti Parasitic Caviar with Chloroquine Phosphate. If this stuff works by curing from the "inside", how does it? Does it build the fish's immune system up so the parasites can't host and then fall off and die? Im confused. I reached out to the them but haven't gotten any answer yes.
Wrasse often don't show signs of ich or even velvet in some cases due to their slime coats, the fact that many sleep under the sand away from parasites, or in mucous cocoons. That said the parasites will live on with them present ready to pounce anything you add back.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse often don't show signs of ich or even velvet in some cases due to their slime coats, the fact that many sleep under the sand away from parasites, or in mucous cocoons. That said the parasites will live on with them present ready to pounce anything you add back.

What about my angel and goby?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about my angel and goby?
My gobies never seemed very susceptible I've had one for 9 years or so that's survived velvet and many ich infestations back in my early days of cutting corners.

Some angels are hardier than others. I had a flame that was seemingly unaffected by everything, but another dozen or so succumbed to even the most minor cases of ich.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Some believe CP is capable of eradicating the trophont stage (i.e. white spots on the fish). I used to be one of those people. :p However, the last 5-6 years of research on the drug has left me to believe that it only effects the theront stage - same as copper. It's just a lot gentler than copper and you are able to go from 0 to full therapeutic instantly with CP.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some believe CP is capable of eradicating the trophont stage (i.e. white spots on the fish). I used to be one of those people. :p However, the last 5-6 years of research on the drug has left me to believe that it only effects the theront stage - same as copper. It's just a lot gentler than copper and you are able to go from 0 to full therapeutic instantly with CP.
So if you have a few fish in the display, is it POSSIBLE to eradicate ICH this way?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if you have a few fish in the display, is it POSSIBLE to eradicate ICH this way?

Possible.. but highly unlikely. One theory is that the Chloroquine builds up in the fishes' system, leaches back out of their pores, making them an undesirable host for the theronts to attach to. I have the same theory about garlic. If you've ever been around someone who eats a lot of garlic their body literally reeks of it after awhile. Perhaps parasites don't like the smell/taste of it. Chloroquine is very bitter tasting, so it might leach back out in the same manner.

However, that is all just a pet theory of mine... no science to back it up. Even IF it were true, then all your fish would have to eat the CP laced food each & every day for 72 consecutive days in order for the tank to have a chance at complete eradication. It's just highly improbable that all the stars would align perfectly like that.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I guess the good thing is, all 5 left in the DT are eating it.
The bad thing is you've made no progress toward a parasite free tank because you can't catch them :(

Glad they're still alive bud. Good luck

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For now the dt may "seem" fine. It's very possible that the fish in the dt are just not showing symptoms. I still think you really need to treat the fish in the display and leave it fish free for 8 weeks, if not unfortunately you will never know if it's safe for new additions and will find out the hard way if you add anything new.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is something still very wrong. DT = fine. QT: Bellus angel is now dead.

The #1 killer of fish in QT is ammonia. Do you have a filter going for biological filtration in there? If not, what are you doing to control the ammonia?

Angels are notoriously copper sensitive, but are usually fine so long as you raise the Cu level very slowly.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The #1 killer of fish in QT is ammonia. Do you have a filter going for biological filtration in there? If not, what are you doing to control the ammonia?

Angels are notoriously copper sensitive, but are usually fine so long as you raise the Cu level very slowly.

I found one of those Seachem ammonia badges at petco. The color indicator is not yellow (safe) nor is it blue. It's like a grey color. I did a 10 gallon water change today. Copper levels as of yesterday were .15.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.2%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.1%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 74 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back