The Nautilus peninsula aquarium

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking really good!! Can't wait to see more. :)

OP
OP
Cyclist

Cyclist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I just was not sure which way to go with the Skimmer. My first skimmer was the Aquamax cons and it was a solid build and very good at skimming.
I have not tried any others so I went with what I know and placed an order for the Aquamax Cons Q2.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As nice as your glass work and frame look, I might think about leaving it exposed instead of skinning it. Although, then you would have to go wire ocd :)

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH and as for skimmer, in sump, hob or recirc.?

OP
OP
Cyclist

Cyclist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As nice as your glass work and frame look, I might think about leaving it exposed instead of skinning it. Although, then you would have to go wire ocd :)
Trust me, if it weren't for the two year old, it would be.

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I missed that you ordered it until after I posted that. And I can understand wanting to keep little hands out of the sump :)

OP
OP
Cyclist

Cyclist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few changes coming up:
  • New lights Hydra 52 HD
  • Skimmer Reef Octopus Elite 150SSS Space Saver Super Cone Skimmer
I had been looking for a used Hydra 52, but I think paying $350+ for the light with 2+ years of use is just not a good idea. So I listed my two Hydra 52's forsale and sold them including the apex AWM controller. The person who bought them got a good deal and can rest assured that one light only had a week of use and the other a little more than a year but only ramped to 35%.

I've ordered new Hydra 52 HD to replace them.

I was not happy with my decision on the Aquamax Q2 skimmer. I really wanted one that had a DC motor. So I canceled my order and ordered the Reef Octopus Elite 150SSS Space Saver Super Cone Skimmer. I think this skimmer will fit the needs of the aquarium perfectly with out over doing it. Where it may fall short, I'll let macro algae take over.

Let's see how this works.

My only regret is not being able to control the lights with the Apex controller. We are all losing out when companies in this industry quit working together. I may soon ditch the Hydras and work on my own lighting solution (time permitting) that will work with the apex controller.

More to come

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny because that was going to be my recommendation on skimmer because of the footprint but you had already ordered the Aquamaxx ;)

OP
OP
Cyclist

Cyclist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny because that was going to be my recommendation on skimmer because of the footprint but you had already ordered the Aquamaxx ;)
I partly made the choice because of the price tag, but I know that I would not be happy with the AC motor considering it was the loudest thing on my old system.

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I partly made the choice because of the price tag, but I know that I would not be happy with the AC motor considering it was the loudest thing on my old system.
I have been looking at the 110 SSS for myself because of the footprint and my small sump. Seeing your sump made me thing the 150 SSS would fit nicely in it

OP
OP
Cyclist

Cyclist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking at the 110 SSS for myself because of the footprint and my small sump. Seeing your sump made me thing the 150 SSS would fit nicely in it
Hey now! Are you calling my sump small? :)

I currently have a nice size rock and some corals in it, but they will be removed once I get the skimmer. I like a clean sump. Soon I'll add another 10 gallon department which will house chaeto.

I'll let you know how I like the new skimmer once I receive it. I understand no one really stocks this one because of the price tag and low sales.

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks would love to know well it works for you. And your sump looks a little bigger than mine so maybe ;) 24x16?

I know that the footprint of the Octo is small in comparison to most and looks to fit nicely in the 2nd chamber of your sump. Just remember the directions that come with the SSS skimmers are not very good. There is a video on MD showing assembly fyi

OP
OP
Cyclist

Cyclist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overflow and lights update:

First, the first internal overflow box was causing a lot of noise. So much noise I was considering this build to be a failure. I had to figure out why. So I created a new one first and pulled the old one. After installing the new one I confirmed my thoughts as to what was causing the noise. It was a lip I created on the inside so the lid could sit securely. It was that lip which was causing the noise. Now that it's gone, so is the noise and the overflow is now silent. I also too this opportunity to adjust my water level to be within a 1/4" from the euro bracing. Nice!

Now for the lights. My first aquarium had AI SOLs blue. I loved the blue light it gave off. I later switched to the Hydra 52's and always hated the purple light they generated, but figured I could live with it. Fast forward to last week when I decided I needed 3 lights instead of two. I could not find another 52 that had a year or less usage for a good price. So I sold my two 52's and purchased 3 52 HD's. Wow I can not believe I lived with that color of purple for so long. The newer lights are blue! The color is much of what you see produced in t5's or what you see while deep diving.

I'm now very happy with two more aspects of this build!

915MANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overflow and lights update:

First, the first internal overflow box was causing a lot of noise. So much noise I was considering this build to be a failure. I had to figure out why. So I created a new one first and pulled the old one. After installing the new one I confirmed my thoughts as to what was causing the noise. It was a lip I created on the inside so the lid could sit securely. It was that lip which was causing the noise. Now that it's gone, so is the noise and the overflow is now silent. I also too this opportunity to adjust my water level to be within a 1/4" from the euro bracing. Nice!

Now for the lights. My first aquarium had AI SOLs blue. I loved the blue light it gave off. I later switched to the Hydra 52's and always hated the purple light they generated, but figured I could live with it. Fast forward to last week when I decided I needed 3 lights instead of two. I could not find another 52 that had a year or less usage for a good price. So I sold my two 52's and purchased 3 52 HD's. Wow I can not believe I lived with that color of purple for so long. The newer lights are blue! The color is much of what you see produced in t5's or what you see while deep diving.

I'm now very happy with two more aspects of this build!
Thats interesting. I thought the 52s would be purple as well. I had the AI SOL BLUES and Then upgraded one to the hydra. I liked them except I could take video without have to turn everything up. Im glad the HD is working out! Pics!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 52 73.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 11.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back