OP
OP
Cyclist

Cyclist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll post some more photos once I get past this algae bloom. Kinda embarrassed with the milky color water

OP
OP
Cyclist

Cyclist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg

Some thoughts on the skimmer:
This thing is well made, it's a beast!
It can not be heard either!

Look at that after 10 minutes of use. I'm running a little wet and the pump is on the lowest setting. The water level in the sump is 10" so I might build a tray to raise it and inch or two.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So.... you have been wet for a little less than a month and already have all those fish, and some corals in your tank? How are your parameters looking? Any phosphates leaching from that Pukani?

OP
OP
Cyclist

Cyclist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So.... you have been wet for a little less than a month and already have all those fish, and some corals in your tank? How are your parameters looking? Any phosphates leaching from that Pukani?
Lol, you must think I'm a noob! I can understand that. But ask me what all went on behind the scenes.

Actually, about 40% of the water and larger rocks were from my old tank and sump which I stored in containers in the garage. The sand bed is new, but 2 gallons of it is old. I've been keeping all this stuff alive.

I monitored prams daily the first couple weeks and now every three days. I dropped two dead shrimp in the tank on day one. Had a good spike in ammonia followed by the rest of the cycle. It was quick.

I contribute the bacterial bloom to the macroalgae I had shipped from Florida.

Life in the aquarium is thriving including the few sps corals that made the long trip.

Last edited:

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, you must think I'm a noob! I can understand that. But ask me what all went on behind the scenes.

Actually, about 40% of the water and larger rocks were from my old tank and sump which I stored in containers in the garage. The sand bed is new, but 2 gallons of it is old. I've been keeping all this stuff alive.

I monitored prams daily the first couple weeks and now every three days. I dropped two dead shrimp in the tank on day one. Had a good spike in ammonia followed by the rest of the cycle. It was quick.

I contribute the bacterial bloom to the macroalgae I had shipped from Florida.

Life in the aquarium is thriving including the few sps corals that made the long trip.
Sweet! I was not suggesting you are an "noob", I meant no offense. Probably not to many noobs out there ambitious enough to build their own aquariums. But you do bring up a couple questions from me about 1)sand. Did you rinse the old sand at all? Was it live sand that was in the garage staying alive? I've got like 3-4 five gallon buckets full of old sand, that I am hesitant to use after reading a few posts and getting advice from folks here not to. 2)who did you order your macros from?

OP
OP
Cyclist

Cyclist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet! I was not suggesting you are an "noob", I meant no offense. Probably not to many noobs out there ambitious enough to build their own aquariums. But you do bring up a couple questions from me about 1)sand. Did you rinse the old sand at all? Was it live sand that was in the garage staying alive? I've got like 3-4 five gallon buckets full of old sand, that I am hesitant to use after reading a few posts and getting advice from folks here not to. 2)who did you order your macros from?
Oh no, I know you were not trying to offend me. I'm not so shallow to be offended anyways. Life is too much fun.

Sandy sand. To dump or reuse. I also questioned this. What I did was grab the top layer of my old sand and it went right into the containers with my live rock on top. I kept the water heated and plent of flow. I did lower the salinity down a tad bit.

I think this also contributed to my quick cycle as the old sand bed had so much life. I did spend countless hours sifting it though to make sure nothing traveled that was not welcome.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no, I know you were not trying to offend me. I'm not so shallow to be offended anyways. Life is too much fun.

Sandy sand. To dump or reuse. I also questioned this. What I did was grab the top layer of my old sand and it went right into the containers with my live rock on top. I kept the water heated and plent of flow. I did lower the salinity down a tad bit.

I think this also contributed to my quick cycle as the old sand bed had so much life. I did spend countless hours sifting it though to make sure nothing traveled that was not welcome.
Oh what to do... I've been cycling my Pukani dry rock for probably 4 months now, I wish I had the fore site to put some sand in there with it. But I didn't, that was good thinking on your part. My sand has just been in these buckets going on 4 years now sitting in the basement. I'm sure there is not much life in it anymore. I should probably trash it and start new. What are your thoughts?

OP
OP
Cyclist

Cyclist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^_ 4 years dry I am assuming. I would start with new. I only saved my sand for the live bacteria from my established aquarium. But the important thing was keeping it live.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^_ 4 years dry I am assuming. I would start with new. I only saved my sand for the live bacteria from my established aquarium. But the important thing was keeping it live.
That's kind of what I was leaning towards. Brand new set up all around, except for my refugium tank, might as well start with new sand too, rather than old dead right! Love how your tank is looking. Where did you get the Anthias? are the eating okay for you?

OP
OP
Cyclist

Cyclist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked them up local. They are just so full of life. They all get along and have not singled anyone out yet. Three females and one male, all eating everything I've been feed except flake food.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good @Cyclist ! ! I love how your fish come right up to you, wish mine did that.

OP
OP
Cyclist

Cyclist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea! Water has improved and I think the bacteria bloom is behind us.

This weekend I hope to work on the light rack which I'll hang from the ceiling.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!

Post up a couple FTS w/ sump and your ideas on lights. I really need some guidance on this front.

OP
OP
Cyclist

Cyclist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer has been running very good no complaints with this one.

Some thing I hated about my old Aquamax was the welds were crummy and allowed waste to get between them. Also it was very hard to clean as the space was tight in the cup
None of those issues with this one.
image.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back