This hobby has gone insane...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psychographic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bid started at $1, the problem here lies entirely on the people bidding.

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly speaking ... I wouldn't purchase anything that I don't physically see in front of me ... PERIOD!! Online vendors pictures are subject to certain specifications when it comes down to lightings, camera settings and super saturated posted image(s) plus the various spectrums of our many different computer monitors plays a huge role ... IMHO.

Buy it at your own risks or you're gonna end up getting "chopped" big time ... :cry:

Paul

noobreef408

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to sea munkey but i assure u it really does just look like the photo

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks pretty cool to me. If the buyers set the selling price then why complain?

I agree that for all the people buying corals and making the price high, there are an equal number of people whining about the price because they can't afford it. This is really a dead topic that comes up every time a new/expensive coral comes along. If anything, start a campaign to make buyers not pay so much and tell them not to get into bidding wars with each other. There have been plenty of times when buyers have gotten into bidding wars over a coral I'm selling and end up paying more than the buy it now price I had posted. Is that unfair of me??

Women buy Louis Vuitton purses which I think are ugly, men like Ferarris which cost $300,000+. So how is a $200 polyp any different? Its a free country, if people want to pay lots for something they consider rare, who's to stop them. Its called capitalism and we all want our little piece of the pie. Enough of the whining about the price, it won't change anything.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks pretty cool to me. If the buyers set the selling price then why complain?

I agree that for all the people buying corals and making the price high, there are an equal number of people whining about the price because they can't afford it. This is really a dead topic that comes up every time a new/expensive coral comes along. If anything, start a campaign to make buyers not pay so much and tell them not to get into bidding wars with each other. There have been plenty of times when buyers have gotten into bidding wars over a coral I'm selling and end up paying more than the buy it now price I had posted. Is that unfair of me??

Women buy Louis Vuitton purses which I think are ugly, men like Ferarris which cost $300,000+. So how is a $200 polyp any different? Its a free country, if people want to pay lots for something they consider rare, who's to stop them. Its called capitalism and we all want our little piece of the pie. Enough of the whining about the price, it won't change anything.

I agree with both sides but it is a little more complicated than just capitalism. The Ferarri will still be a Ferarri next year, and the LV purse will still hold it's value. The purple hornet today will be like a red planet frag or any other zoa in a year and only cost a fraction. I agree if someone want to pay out the butt for one then so be it but it makes it unfortunate for those of us that are in the hobby not for the $ or to be the first to own something. I agree though it is what it is and won't change.

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well at least, unlike a Ferarri or a LV purse, the price will go down in a year and we'll all be able to afford it. ;p

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well at least, unlike a Ferarri or a LV purse, the price will go down in a year and we'll all be able to afford it. ;p

You had a Alien green confusa listed in another thread. Do you have a pic? I have a pale green and just wondered if that's it. If I can get a good pic I will post it.

kiraburk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, I understand that a lot of people think that the price is expensive, and sure it is a bit pricey for a single zoa polyp. But shouldn't we all be thrilled that the hobby has such a following? That the hobby is so popular that people are willing to spend that kind of money on a coral? In light of the economy being the way it is, our hobby is still alive and strong.
And if people want to pay the price, let them. Haven't any of you ever wanted something so bad that you were willing to pay the price, doesn't have to be a coral.
It's just like any other hobby, we collect things. And many serious hobbyists of any sort are willing to pay a hefty price for rarities.
But that's just my opinion.

Stray32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice photoshopped deepwater polyp... Hey noob, find a nice camera and take a good photo of your "Devils" polyp, or have someone do it for you. If you can post a photo in this thread that looks like that, then put me on the list for the growout.

noobreef408

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its definitely not photoshopped and looking forward to it definitely gonna get a nice camera to take apicture of it

Ian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a purple hornet under a reddish spectrum of lighting that makes the yellow look red...

ZoaFan08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent him an email and this was his response

Black lights? where the hell you get blacks lights from? I don't use that stuff and don't go accusing me of stuff you don't know about. Look at the top right corner you can see the reflection of my metal halide bulb. And NO it is not photoshopped. That's how it looks with a nice camera.
Just because I don't have the rep. like reef-pets you think i'm doing something wrong. Would you say the same stuff to reef-pets when his purple hornets where going out for hundreds of dollars? Not like I started my auction at a high price, I started it at $1, No reserve. So its not me that dictates the price, its the buyers. This polyp is considered rare since not that much people have it. Thank you for input.

- baycorals

Last edited by a moderator:

noobreef408

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 it really does look nicer with a better camera to prove you guys wrong cause all u guys do is QQ about how this hobby is going insane i must say 150 dollar worth iT!! heres a picture taken from my LG VOYAGER 2.0 MEGAPIXEL CAMERA (ITS A PHONE) and if you still talk about how "photoshopped" this picture is u have a problem,because i wish i knew how to photoshop pictures but i dont. Point is if u have a problem believing that this color not being possible on a zoa u dont shouldnt be reefing

http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/zz149/noobreef408/101209012.jpg

Notice how its matting out and growing =]

Last edited:

ZoaFan08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 it really does look nicer with a better camera to prove you guys wrong cause all u guys do is QQ about how this hobby is going insane i must say 150 dollar worth iT!! heres a picture taken from my LG VOYAGER 2.0 MEGAPIXEL CAMERA (ITS A PHONE)

http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/zz149/noobreef408/101209012.jpg

Sorry but your post are so hard to read, try using some punctuation.

Sorry if that sounds mean but it gives me a headache reading some of your post...

noobreef408

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-_-'' Probaly is a deep water Try to find the same one ill quadruple the price u pay for the colony k thx. Lmk.

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bid started at $1, the problem here lies entirely on the people bidding.

100% correct-people bidding.

I sell silver bullion on flea bay in 1 troy ounce bars and rounds-anyone can see online what spot silver is yet they bid up my auctions to sometimes 3x spot- LOL all the way to the bank!!!

I love the "general public"

Generally speaking-some people are more stupid than others, or have more money, or both.

Keep the peace peeps

Status
Not open for further replies.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back