Not open for further replies.

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question:
Who are the hobbyists that bid (or purchase) high cost corals?

Question is in regards to experience, time in hobby, and interest in the coral

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exaclly thats why I think it should be close all it so going to be is you say to me and ill say to you its not a helping thred for anyone including R2R

We dont need these type of post here

And also Paul there is going to be people no matter what you or me say they just dont care and go spend there money on any frag with any price tag

All iam saying is we should not care if anybody wants to pay what ever price tag for any frag its there problem

But know like we have seen in a couple of new post people looking for advice if X coral is worth the $$$$ then we could say yes its worth it or no dont buy cause you could get it cheaper

See the diffrence

Parts of this ("We dont need these type of post here" :embarrassed: ) are starting to sound a lot like another forum. With all due respect it really isn't for you or me to decide if these posts belong here. I mean whats next, every post has to meet certain criteria for being productive within the forum. This a forum and some posts like this are a just to vent. I understand your point and agree with it to a degree. But, I do care that knuckleheads want to spend ridiculous sums of money because it drives the price (not the value) through the roof.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question:

Now that is a great question! I would love to know also. I would put money on it that 9 times out of 10 it's not a hobbyist but someone trying to make a $.

eggie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parts of this ("We dont need these type of post here" :embarrassed: ) are starting to sound a lot like another forum. With all due respect it really isn't for you or me to decide if these posts belong here. I mean whats next, every post has to meet certain criteria for being productive within the forum. This a forum and some posts like this are a just to vent. I understand your point and agree with it to a degree. But, I do care that knuckleheads want to spend ridiculous sums of money because it drives the price (not the value) through the roof.

Paul this post has been looking like the other forum you mentioned since it started

I just said that because people are arguing. Why? cause the price range and some of the same people are just going crazy because of an other frag that i wont even mention has a price tag higher and then some opens a post to brag about it and it closes in seconds. Could I ask why ? Because people are tierd of it and its like no won cares so why care of a dumb zoa for $150 when chalices is still on the higher prices

At the end belive me there will be a minorty that cares for price range and those are the only ones that consider there money and ask others ifs it worth it

Thats the one thing I like of R2R comunity there is no arguing between members on post only when someone has to brag about what has to cost what
Its not our decisions its the buyers who dont care if it expensive or not that makes the call

Paul honestly nice talking with you I consider you a very respectful person
this is the way post should be talked like gentelmens

eggie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question:

We will know when they start saying that they won the frag thru ebay like if they had a new born

I guess people are looking at the frag with the intentions to make money out of it in the future :crossedlips:

Last edited:

650-IS350

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This argument is a broken record it happens in every forum...

aH , changed my mind. I'll keep these thoughts to my self. it' is what it is.

Last edited:

CoralBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought this was reef2reef not reefcentral..................... atleast thats why I joined. That coral is nice, actually, in my opinion a lot nicer looking than purple hornet. I dont give two ***** about the name or who has what, all that matters to me is how unique and/or colorful it is. If some chump wants to pay $200 for anything thats their prerogative. I just network...

eggie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This argument is a broken record it happens in every forum...

aH , changed my mind. I'll keep these thoughts to my self. it' is what it is.

yes it does but at least here we keep it peacful

ReefRunner

Reef hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do care that knuckleheads want to spend ridiculous sums of money because it drives the price (not the value) through the roof.

I've been following this thread for awhile and have to say that I agree with Paul on this point, particulary what he says about "the value". That being said any coral that someone is willing to pay big money for obviously has value to that buyer. As far as what type of hobbyist buys these corals I would hope that it is one with experience to go along with their obvious financial ability. We should never forget that these are animals; living things that we are responsible for. Some may buy as an investment and others just to be able to say they own it. It also seems that sometimes it gets to be a bit of a "mano a mano" thing.

Robin

OP
OP
jaytizzle

jaytizzle

Fish Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw this quote yesterday and through all of the banter, it seems to hold a significant meaning.

"Price is what you pay, value is what you get"
- Warren Buffett

Everyone, thank you for your opinions. I started this thread simply to vent because I find it ridiculous. Apparently some of you on here disagree and are willing to spend major coin on something that you consider to have a certain value. As long as it is valuable to you, then you should be happy with your purchase. My bottom line is that the price of the coral does not match the value that I feel it holds.

eggie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been following this thread for awhile and have to say that I agree with Paul on this point, particulary what he says about "the value". That being said any coral that someone is willing to pay big money for obviously has value to that buyer. As far as what type of hobbyist buys these corals I would hope that it is one with experience to go along with their obvious financial ability. We should never forget that these are animals; living things that we are responsible for. Some may buy as an investment and others just to be able to say they own it. It also seems that sometimes it gets to be a bit of a "mano a mano" thing.

Robin

I agree also but there is always going to be one knuklehead that doesnt care and makes the coral worth the price and we cant control it
Thats my point

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question:

i may or may not be one of the people you are asking about, but i for one have been a hobbyist for 11 years and have worked in the industry for the past 3. i'm just bored with the same old corals, and like many of you here have a desire to keep more colorful, exotic corals that not everyone else in the hobby has. am i willing to pay crazy stupid prices for that must-have unique piece? not always, but sometimes!

like wwc said - some folks collect cars, baseball cards, and exotic pets. you like what you like.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright... I think we've heard everyone's opinion on this... :)

:horse:

Thanks and closed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back