Status
Not open for further replies.

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright people, let's not get carried away with personal attacks or insults. This was a topic regarding the validity of a specimen garnering a high price and not about each other.

650-IS350

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering, isn't the point of start low ( $1 ) is you want lot's of people bidding on it, causing a bidding war to raise the price to your desired price?

Here's an analogy,

Just like during house craze, houses were being posted for lower price since they know they were gonna get MULTIPLE offers and get a extreme bidding war to fetch a high price. Then once that house sells, other houses similar will now start or command a price close to that house that sold for less say 750K which was originally posted at 600K. Now every house that is similar or close to that will NOW command a comprable price since it just set the new bench mark. hope this makes sense.

Aloha Corals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering, isn't the point of start low ( $1 ) is you want lot's of people bidding on it, causing a bidding war to raise the price to your desired price?

Here's an analogy,

Just like during house craze, houses were being posted for lower price since they know they were gonna get MULTIPLE offers and get a extreme bidding war to fetch a high price. Then once that house sells, other houses similar will now start or command a price close to that house that sold for less say 750K which was originally posted at 600K. Now every house that is similar or close to that will NOW command a comprable price since it just set the new bench mark. hope this makes sense.

Makes perfect sense, but do you blame the buyer or the seller for the purchase price?

AC-Kevin

Ian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it seems to me, in this case, people are arguing more about the picture than the price but that's just my opinion...

colorfan45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry noob but your pic looks nothing like the first one posted. There are surely some light tricks (actinics/saturation) to make those look nicer by the ebayer. Perfect example of how people get ripped in this hobby.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes perfect sense, but do you blame the buyer or the seller for the purchase price?

AC-Kevin

In these instances you can blame the buyers for bidding and driving the price up but you can also blame the seller for not putting it up at a Buy It Now price that they thought was "fair" I know, I know what is fair. It is what it is and the reason I stay the hell away from coral like these. Just like the housing market ours will correct itself by having less people in the hobby. An old saying comes to mind..something about someone and their money soon being parted....:tongue:

IMO the second photos that noobreef posted are not even close color wise. You won't have to worry about anyone saying the photo you posted was Photoshopped. In the end as long as the buyer is happy with what he got then so be it. For me, if I paid top dollar for the pic on fleabay and then got the one in noobreefs pic....I would be PO'd! But that's just me:xd:

Last edited:

Stray32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to know who won this auction, and ask him to take a pic of the polyp when he gets it, and tell us how disappointed he is. Surely he is a member here, or he probably wouldn't have seen the hype for it.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Guys.....

:horse:

sleeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy Local, support your local fish store, trade with local guys you trust, and go to swaps. And never pay 200 bucks for a polyp you can't put your eyes on first!

P.S. Like the beating the dead horse icon Rev.

Last edited:

Stray32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aw, Rev, these threads are how I make it through my day at my boring job :D. You're right though, it's a never-ending argument, let it be.

Let it be, Let it be
Let it be, Let it be
Whisper words of wisdom... Let it be

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
HEHE!!! Well I could have sworn I seen him move!

650-IS350

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kev,

I think all are at fault, seller/buyer. They all contribute to the never ending cycle.

Seller's trying to make as much from the sale, be it ( pimping it, photochop, posting on every forum to talk about it to gain interest, have friends pimp it too, Posting it for the LOW price to gain multiple bids to secure his/her intended original price, etc )

and the Buyer, trying to be just like the jones' or trying to be the FIRST to have it. Try to capitalize on the situation on the first to have it, propagate it and sell ASAP to gain some money back from their original purchase..

All in all, this always drives the price up and keeps it up. Sets the presidence for the polyp and other future polyps to come ( Same or similar looking, example hornet ), We are a CAPITALIST nation and this cycle will always be here and continue, doesn't matter if reefers come and go. There will always be someone trying to make a buck and someone who wants to be first on the FAD. Isn't it the reason why all these polyps are being labelled with catchy designer names? If we really wanted to ID them, you would call them purple polyp, yellow ring with alternating colored (purple/yellow skirt ) for the purple hornet.

It is what it is unfortunately.

Last edited:

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy Local, support your local fish store, trade with local guys you trust, and go to swaps. And never pay 200 bucks for a polyp you can't put your eyes on first!

P.S. Like the beating the dead horse icon Rev.

I always love these comments insert sarcasm:crossedlips:

Status
Not open for further replies.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back