OP
OP
125mph

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm betting on brook. Otherwise they would have dropped off by now, or at least have started to drop off.

What's best way to confirm it? I am about to try a rid-ich plus bath to on just the clown and regal to see how that goes.. Should the white spots be completely gone after the bath?

OP
OP
125mph

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I noticed on the regal.. he's thin by where his gills are.. He was very fat just last week. I read someting about thinning a sign of brook, but maybe thats common for any parasite.. What do you think>

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's best way to confirm it? I am about to try a rid-ich plus bath to on just the clown and regal to see how that goes.. Should the white spots be completely gone after the bath?

Well... I've seen the spots clear up some with a freshwater dip or formalin or acryflavin bath then be completely killed off with metroplex in QT. I'd start with that. If you have rid-ich I believe that has formalin in it. Do the freshwater dip, then into the rid ich for an hour bath. While that's happening drain, sterilize and clean all the stuff in the QT quickly. Set a fan to blow on it to dry everything out as fast as possible. Set it all back up and put the fish back in after the bath. No copper this time. Start dosing metroplex and keep doing that for 10 days minimum.... might be a good plan to go two weeks.

OP
OP
125mph

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... I've seen the spots clear up some with a freshwater dip or formalin or acryflavin bath then be completely killed off with metroplex in QT. I'd start with that. If you have rid-ich I believe that has formalin in it. Do the freshwater dip, then into the rid ich for an hour bath. While that's happening drain, sterilize and clean all the stuff in the QT quickly. Set a fan to blow on it to dry everything out as fast as possible. Set it all back up and put the fish back in after the bath. No copper this time. Start dosing metroplex and keep doing that for 10 days minimum.... might be a good plan to go two weeks.

Thank you. I don't have metroplex on hand so I will do what you said with the bath but use paraguard tonight in a new tank. It suppose to dissipate in 24 hours so I can switch to something else when I have it. I thought my CP was coming tomorrow but according to the tracking, Its coming on Saturday :(...

From seachem tech in their forums regarding someone else's fish:

"I am very sorry to hear about your hippo tang possibly developing Brooklynella. Brooklynella is a very insidious parasite that must be treated immediately, as it can potentially be lethal within days. If indeed you are dealing with Brooklynella, the best medication that we can offer is Paraguard. However, Paraguard is unfortunately not considered 100% reef and invertebrate safe. If you do not have the option of quarantining the affected fish, then you really only have the option of treating with Metronidazole via a medicated food mix. "

Who knowz! Okay, hopefully paraguard can keep this thing at bay for a bit.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I don't have metroplex on hand so I will do what you said with the bath but use paraguard tonight in a new tank. It suppose to dissipate in 24 hours so I can switch to something else when I have it. I thought my CP was coming tomorrow but according to the tracking, Its coming on Saturday :(...

From seachem tech in their forums regarding someone else's fish:

"I am very sorry to hear about your hippo tang possibly developing Brooklynella. Brooklynella is a very insidious parasite that must be treated immediately, as it can potentially be lethal within days. If indeed you are dealing with Brooklynella, the best medication that we can offer is Paraguard. However, Paraguard is unfortunately not considered 100% reef and invertebrate safe. If you do not have the option of quarantining the affected fish, then you really only have the option of treating with Metronidazole via a medicated food mix. "

Who knowz! Okay, hopefully paraguard can keep this thing at bay for a bit.

Well, at least they told that poor soul about metroplex. Yes, metro is a treatment for brook, but we advise the dip beforehand to knock out the majority of the parasites first.

OP
OP
125mph

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night:

1. ) Did 60 min Rid-Ich Plus bath using the recommended 24 hour dosage. Probably could do more with just a 60 min bath..

2.) Cleaned out the 20g tank, wiped it dry. Cleaned out the heater and wiped that dry.. all equipment wiped dry. I also installed a diferent hob filter.

3.) Filled the tank and matched salinity and temp

4.) Dosed paraguard

This morning, almost all the white spots that were visible on the clown are gone.. still a few spots but hard to see them on camera. He is also not breathing as hard as before too. What does that mean? I'm still going to dose paraguard and then switch to CP when it comes.

DSC_6114.jpg

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night:

1. ) Did 60 min Rid-Ich Plus bath using the recommended 24 hour dosage. Probably could do more with just a 60 min bath..

2.) Cleaned out the 20g tank, wiped it dry. Cleaned out the heater and wiped that dry.. all equipment wiped dry. I also installed a diferent hob filter.

3.) Filled the tank and matched salinity and temp

4.) Dosed paraguard

This morning, almost all the white spots that were visible on the clown are gone.. still a few spots but hard to see them on camera. He is also not breathing as hard as before too. What does that mean? I'm still going to dose paraguard and then switch to CP when it comes.

DSC_6114.jpg
It means they are relieved and doing better :)

OP
OP
125mph

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly... that clown is about to die.. He's laying on the bottom, flopped on the side and probably has 1 hour left... Not sure what happen.. The whitespots were gone but now he is dying.

Maybe the Rid-Ich was too abrasive for him.. The potters angel, the other clown, mystery wrasse and the regal were all in the bath and nothing wrong with them. The regal actually just tried to eat a few mysis but spit it out.. He hasnt tried to eat in a few days.

I think the CP arrives tomorrow.

OP
OP
125mph

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep he just died.. frustrating. I think I figured it out though. I just dosed another round of paraguard and almost immediately the other clown is breathing heavily like he's about to die. The angel and the wrasse aren't affected. I'm going to dilute this water and use cp tomorrow hopefully it will arrive.

OP
OP
125mph

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, sounds like you need a good sized water change and carbon. Especially before you dose CP

Yep just did a full 100% water change on the 40g breeder and fw dips on all the fish in that HT. And did 25% in the 20g and running carbon since last night.

CP tracking for delivery this afternoon. Hope this does the trick. I have the Gemini scale.

I read accounts of CP killing ora clowns and wrasses, so we'll see how this goes. 3 clowns and 2 wrasses will go through this.

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read accounts of CP killing ora clowns and wrasses, so we'll see how this goes. 3 clowns and 2 wrasses will go through this.

Wrasses yes, but I've never heard of CP killing clownfish. I've successfully used it on several different (clownfish) species.

OP
OP
125mph

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright! Just dosed both HT with 60mg/gallon.

Since I took off the copper, it's looking more and more like brook. All appears fine right now. The regal us looking much better since the formalin bath too. The scales on the fish look a little raised. From what I read that's brook? Anyway, cross my fingers.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope everything goes well for you 125mph.

I didn't feel like starting a new post for this, but can Metroflex be used while still treating with copper (cupramine)?
I have Focus too, which I can use as an agent to combine metroflex with frozen foods.

OP
OP
125mph

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good today. Fish more active, no new white spots. Getting very hopeful!

The 20g is a little mirky while the 40g is completely clear though, not sure why.

One thing I've noticed from time to time is my mystery wrasse produces this weird web like mucus substance on the pipes.. Anyone know what this is?

IMG_2342.jpg

OP
OP
125mph

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope everything goes well for you 125mph.

I didn't feel like starting a new post for this, but can Metroflex be used while still treating with copper (cupramine)?
I have Focus too, which I can use as an agent to combine metroflex with frozen foods.

I asked the same q; humble said it was fine but mixing meds may cause appetite suppression.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back