OP
OP
125mph

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I still can't figure out what these white spots on the fish are.. I just noticed the PT has a large white spot on one of his eyes, the other eye does have a white spot but not too big... The regal angel has small white spots on the eyes too.. No other spots on fins or body.

best pics I found of the PT's big white spot.. its very large,... not small like ich or velvet. The eyes are not cloudy either.. Just marked with some white stuff. The API general cure did not change the white spots. Any ideas?

DSC_6197.jpg

DSC_6206.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I still can't figure out what these white spots on the fish are.. I just noticed the PT has a large white spot on one of his eyes, the other eye does have a white spot but not too big... The regal angel has small white spots on the eyes too.. No other spots on fins or body.

best pics I found of the PT's big white spot.. its very large,... not small like ich or velvet. The eyes are not cloudy either.. Just marked with some white stuff. The API general cure did not change the white spots. Any ideas?

DSC_6197.jpg

DSC_6206.jpg

That's odd, but reminiscent of flukes in the eyes. I saw that you did general cure already and it didn't help. You'll have to remind me.... have you done a freshwater dip on them for this problem? You may try a formalin dip.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's odd, but reminiscent of flukes in the eyes. I saw that you did general cure already and it didn't help. You'll have to remind me.... have you done a freshwater dip on them for this problem? You may try a formalin dip.
I agree that looks like flukes to me as well.. strange

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many courses of prazi have you given? Maybe a 3rd round would be beneficial?

OP
OP
125mph

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many courses of prazi have you given? Maybe a 3rd round would be beneficial?

I used General Cure (powered prazi) about 3 days ago while they were still on CP. The GC with CP definitely suppressed appetite as only the Regal Angel and Potters angel were eating after that.. Other fish ignored food.. White eye spots still there on regal, potters and purple tang after treatment.

I just transferred them to a non-medicated tank since the CP period is over now, and I just dosed regular PraziPro last night.. This morning, all the white spots on the eyes are still present too.

I'm not sure this is flukes as I've done freshwater dips a few weeks ago before CP treatment and didnt see anything float off either.. Also did formalin bath before the CP treatment too.

None of the fish are scratching or impacted in any way from the white spots.. If they had flukes they would be scratching their eyes?

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you already dosed CP, this is not helpful to you 125, but for others, a good thing to keep around if you can't get CP is Dr. G's medicated food with CP in it. I used that for a velvet infection that Humblefish helped me with about 6 months ago and it worked really well. Saved all the fish I had in the hospital tank. Link here

OP
OP
125mph

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you already dosed CP, this is not helpful to you 125, but for others, a good thing to keep around if you can't get CP is Dr. G's medicated food with CP in it. I used that for a velvet infection that Humblefish helped me with about 6 months ago and it worked really well. Saved all the fish I had in the hospital tank. Link here

That food stopped your velvet because it has CP in it? How does it sheild fish from getting reinvested, simply because they have CP in their system?

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, I fed them the CP food and also treated with copper. I know it's against the rules, but I fed them the medicated food first until I got copper in and up to a therapeutic level. By the time I had the copper up, the fish were already acting normally, so I kept the copper at therapeutic for a week then took it down to zero and just observed, feeding the medicated food as much as the fish would eat and it worked. I just don't like copper because it's so dangerous and poisonous to everything. Nothing else happened, kept in QT for 76 days and then back in DT, still have the fish.
I am no expert at all on this stuff, so i don't know how it kept the fish from getting reinfected, but it worked.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I wouldn't use it as the only line of treatment but it probably gave him some time until copper could start working.

OP
OP
125mph

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, I fed them the CP food and also treated with copper. I know it's against the rules, but I fed them the medicated food first until I got copper in and up to a therapeutic level. By the time I had the copper up, the fish were already acting normally, so I kept the copper at therapeutic for a week then took it down to zero and just observed, feeding the medicated food as much as the fish would eat and it worked. I just don't like copper because it's so dangerous and poisonous to everything. Nothing else happened, kept in QT for 76 days and then back in DT, still have the fish.
I am no expert at all on this stuff, so i don't know how it kept the fish from getting reinfected, but it worked.

So you started with the CP food, then put them on copper for 1 week while still feeding CP food, then you ran carbon to get rid of the copper or your transferred them to a new sterile tank?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they had flukes they would be scratching their eyes?

Most likely. Typically, flukes only reach the eyes once the infestation has become severe. So a fish with eye flukes should produce a "snow globe" if FW dipped. Can you post recent photos of the white spots on the eyes?

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you started with the CP food, then put them on copper for 1 week while still feeding CP food, then you ran carbon to get rid of the copper or your transferred them to a new sterile tank?
I transferred them to a new sterile tank. That may have helped as the free swimming stage was left in the copper tank and I kept feeding CP foods. Don't trust me on the CP food as I have no idea whether it reaches therapeutic levels. @Humblefish and @melypr1985 @4FordFamily know the most about fish and how to take care of them.
All I know is that my fish lived, that's all that mattered to me.

OP
OP
125mph

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I did a 5 min f/w dip on the PT to see if anything bounces off.. And.... absolutely clear water, nothing fell off of him.. His eyes still white marks.

While doing the f/w dip, I observed the other fish and noticed the regal swimming back and forth by the glass and appeared that his eyes were just rubbing on the glass. I wonder if they are doing that a lot and thats causing marks on their eyes.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I did a 5 min f/w dip on the PT to see if anything bounces off.. And.... absolutely clear water, nothing fell off of him.. His eyes still white marks.

While doing the f/w dip, I observed the other fish and noticed the regal swimming back and forth by the glass and appeared that his eyes were just rubbing on the glass. I wonder if they are doing that a lot and thats causing marks on their eyes.

That would be my next thought since flukes didn't present in the fw dip. An injury on the eye wouldn't come off in the dip, though it is odd that several seem to have the same injury to the eyes. I'm not sure the glass could cause that but it could be possible. Which fish DONT have it? Is it possible that one of the other fish are causing this with aggression?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back