TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates on this?

Stick with it and you'll get the results you want. Once a week was too slow for me so I bumped the dosing up to twice a week. It's really brought the hammer down on my dinoflagellates since then. I've been dealing with this species for probably a good 7 months. I too lost all my snails but I can almost guarantee our CUC deaths were the effect of palytoxin from the dinos and not Vibrant. I dose twice a week and my Nassarius snail and hermits are as lively as ever. If you'd like to see my dino progression with Vibrant, check it out here.

When dosing once a week is anyone having issues with keeping micro algae in a refugium? Like cheato.

I'll bet there is a "maintenance" dose that will let chaeto or scrubbers continue to function.

How do u subscribe and unsubscribe now?

Following

Out of curiosity, any updates on the tank/results from your test?

so looks like this stuff is snake oil to some ... and gold to others.

Update: Used two full bottles on the recommended "double dose", had no positive effect on the tank. Still diatoms, dinos, hair algae, geladium, etc.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so looks like this stuff is snake oil to some ... and gold to others.
People who love it follow the directions. Which really means they now started doing regular water changes. Whereas before, no regular maintenance. Ask any success story and they will tell you it took 2 to 3 months of regular dosing + water change to fix the issue. Kinda silly really.

Second Shot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you that I did the same 10% waterchanges before and after starting vibrant. Within a very short time some minor algae on the walls disappeared and after a bit of time the dinos went into submission as well. Several times the dinos would try to come back and I would put an extra dose of vibrant in. Just want to say that not everyone was neglecting their tank before using the product

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you that I did the same 10% waterchanges before and after starting vibrant. Within a very short time some minor algae on the walls disappeared and after a bit of time the dinos went into submission as well. Several times the dinos would try to come back and I would put an extra dose of vibrant in. Just want to say that not everyone was neglecting their tank before using the product
What specie of dino did you have?

Second Shot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What specie of dino did you have?
Ostreopsis. FWIW I don’t think it will ever be completely gone. I still will see a little bit in my filter socks. Rarely in the display. I have recently stopped vibrant dosing to see what happens and I am getting a few strands in the display so I believe without vibrant there is a good chance it will come back.

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ostreopsis. FWIW I don’t think it will ever be completely gone. I still will see a little bit in my filter socks. Rarely in the display. I have recently stopped vibrant dosing to see what happens and I am getting a few strands in the display so I believe without vibrant there is a good chance it will come back.

Ostreopsis is a good target for UV sterilization + nutrient balancing. Depending on your nutrient levels, it may help to increase them to NO3: 5-10, PO4: +/- 0.10 and add an appropriately sized UV setup to your system. This method 100% solved my Ostreopsis problem.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes exactly. Point being it doesn't work. If anything it, like many other bacteria products, reduces no3 and some po4. Seachem Stability and MB7 notably reduce no3 while Dr.Ts waste away reduces that and po4. So its really just a rebrand with magical promises.

But whats happening in your tank, is the vibrant is starving the ost. into encyst mode until conditions are favourable.

Second Shot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’ve read a lot about it. I have the nitrates covered but low phosphate. Not sure I’m willing to dose it (although I have a bottle). Kind of just seeing if the tank will balance itself out and then may just go back to low doses of vibrant. UV is always an option but not necessary for me at this time.

Second Shot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have plenty of nitrates and had tried seachem stability and AF pro bio s. Never saw what I saw from vibrant. Doesn’t explain the disappearance of some algae as well.

Mpierce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it certainly has some positive effects, there is no doubt it helps with some algae control in my mind. When I dose I go from cleaning my glass every other day to every 4-5 days. The only negative I found is that something about in it promotes cyano in my tank.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting I have some GH algae in my display, it has been going down since I started my fuge about 2 months ago. Wonder if it would kill my cheato

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Used two full bottles on the recommended "double dose", had no positive effect on the tank. Still diatoms, dinos, hair algae, geladium, etc.
Any updates on your experience with Vibrant?
Did you try a third bottle, or give up?
Any negative effects on inhabitants other than snails?
How is your algae problem now - is it solved?

cheers

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back