Vitamin C dosing for zoanthids (I am clueless)

shellynjason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been following this thread for months now ... I bought the NutriBiotic buffered Sodium Ascorabate vit C for my mixed reef tank in the hopes of making it healthier. Then figured out this was just anther form of carbon dosing method. I already use ecobak and have nearly impossible time having enough N03 to keep it going (my N03 stays at zero due to the softies gobbling it up).

Sooooooooooo now 'I' dose myself this stuff 1/4 in a 16oz cup every single day and I must say I have never been healthier - LOL.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been following this thread for months now ... I bought the NutriBiotic buffered Sodium Ascorabate vit C for my mixed reef tank in the hopes of making it healthier. Then figured out this was just anther form of carbon dosing method. I already use ecobak and have nearly impossible time having enough N03 to keep it going (my N03 stays at zero due to the softies gobbling it up).

Sooooooooooo now 'I' dose myself this stuff 1/4 in a 16oz cup every single day and I must say I have never been healthier - LOL.

Personal dosing of Vit C can lead to you feeling good and doing all the necessary maintenance on your tank, so in a round about way, it is helping the tank. LOL:wink:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To keep from looking back through all the pages will you all post the product you are using to dose Vit C?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok. Dug back a bit. I think you meant post 644. ;)

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Puff I ordered my C last week and will be here Monday. Wish it was here sooner as I'm having some issues with some zoa's. On day they are beautiful then not open then melt away while the others are perfectly fine. I fraged a polyp this morning from the others that weren't open. trying to save them. My LPS are have
Hi Pufferpunk
new polyps poping up and my SPS haven't stopped growing sense I put them in there four weeks ago.

The only thing I see at night on any of my corals are amphipods. No spiders or worms. I did see some algae on some in the past.

Well I know keeping new frags sometimes they just don't work out but hopefully I will see improvement with the Z's with the C.
Puff, should I go right for 30ppm or raise slowly start 15ppm and go up over a few days.

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start slow & follow my instructions. Otherwise, you'll be disappointed in the amount to bacterial slime develops. Check your skimmer often & skim dry, if necessary.

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing Vitamin C Chart

Use this product:
http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=-7152293197697039798
$5-10 0ff coupon code: LUL789 (always good for first purchase).
Keep refrigerated.

To figure out how much to use, decide if you want to simply improve coral growth, spread, and color. If so, then you should dose around 5 ppm twice daily. If you are having problems with coral or fish health, dose up to around 30 ppm twice daily.

Calculate the total net number of gallons in your tank (minus rocks, sand, etc). Enter that number here ______.

You will now need to do a little math. The amounts below are for 100 gallons of water so if you have 50 net gallons, cut the amounts shown below in half etc. No need to be exact--I usually round to the nearest 1/4 tsp.

Dosing amounts using Iherb product:
1/4 tsp=1112 mg.

For every 100 gallons:

5 ppm ----- 1892 mg VC
10 ppm ---- 3785 mg VC
15 ppm ---- 5677 mg VC
20 ppm ---- 7570 mg VC
25 ppm ---- 9462 mg VC
30 ppm ---- 11355 mg VC

After you have figured out how much you want to dose at each dosing, enter that number here _____. This is your dose to be used twice a day. Try for at least one dose being done during lights out, as VC absorbs better in the dark.

Notes:
*Be sure your pH and alk are within normal reef limits before starting. Adjust if needed. Monitor weekly.
*Shoot for a ppm of around 5 if only dosing for improved coral growth, coloration, and spread. Shoot for higher amounts up to 30 ppm if you are having melting zoas or closed zoas and look for the causes of your problems as you dose. Check for high nitrates, pests, zoa pox, predators, and unstable water conditions.
*Dose low amounts and increase the amount slowly over the course of a few days to a couple weeks.
*Do NOT dose at high levels (>10ppm), if you don’t have a skimmer! Especially on a nano tank.
* If you notice an algae bloom or increased skim on your glass then cut back by half until it disappears.
* Watch your skimmer, it will start to skim more.
* Dose the amount twice a day in a fast moving area of your sump or overflow. You may dilute the vitamin c in ro/di water for a minute then pour into my overflow. If adding to sump, try and add the vitamin c after filtration such as skimmers and reactors.
* If you have a question, ask here. I check VC threads daily.
* The instructions in this guide and throughout this thread are based on using pure Sodium Ascorbate, not vitamin c pills and other non-buffered forms of vitamin c.

Be sure to take some "before" pics!

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPS just showed up and IT's in the tank now. I'm starting slowly 5ppm twice a day for now. 1 1/4tsp. When should I raise the levels.

also thanks for the link. I bought 3 bottles

Bubbles_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tons of hermit crabs, snails, peppermint shrimp and cleaner shrimp and I have dose VC according to the manufacture's recommendations and have also increased the dose according to the manufacturer. I have seen nothing but positive effects due to dosing VC.

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't this what you told me to get from your link you sent me.
image.jpg

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, was talking to the guy who said: " I have dose VC according to the manufacture's recommendations and have also increased the dose according to the manufacturer".

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probably using something made for tanks like vitamarinC. I looked at the dose on mine and it's nothing like what we are doing. but something is better than nothing.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 72.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 47 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back