Weird Apex Behavior

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ping the ip address of the apex to see if it respond.....
ex:
a. launch a terminal and type "ping <ip address of the Apex>"
b. like ping 192.168.1.50

Note:
1. if you want to power cycle the whole thing, power cycle the router and modem first....Then power the apex base 60 seconds later. The modem/router should be ready to give the apex an ip when the Apex is up. The apex boots up faster than the most routers and it might not get the IP correctly ...
2. I highly suggest using UPS. This device provides protection against power glitch, spike,... all the things that the apex base does not know how to handle very well.

So it's not just our apex it's all apex in general?

OP
OP
djbetterly

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does respond to pings and I gave your suggestion a try and still no luck. I've also updated the boot loader and that did nothing either.

I have the unit hooked into a UPS for the exact reason you mentioned.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it does not ping then no need to try the local apex server.... Contact Neptune for better support....

Just curious, do you use DHCP or static IP setting on the apex? I remember you said the apex reports the same IP address the apex claims it has....And the Ethernet port has power.....What do you see on that port? How many LEDs and what color? 2 ? 1 is Amber and 1 is green?

It does respond to pings and I gave your suggestion a try and still no luck. I've also updated the boot loader and that did nothing either.

I have the unit hooked into a UPS for the exact reason you mentioned.

debby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had some similar behavior. Here is what I got from apex support

Thank you for your inquiry. Try updating your Bootloader. Using the display module and go to System> Bootloader Update. Click on it twice. It will either reboot the APEX or not. But it's important to click on it. This should take care of it.

in addition I backuped the .bin file with 'configuration save' - then reset the entire system, when it came up I reloaded the config file, had to manually re-add to eb8's, and haven't had any issues since. mind you this was over this past weekend

good luck

Wesus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had similar problem and firmware refresh helped

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back