Weird coloration on Kuda Seahorse...? Ich? Bacterial Infection?

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why that 1st black one looked "fine" except for being sick. This doesn't reflect on your ability at keep saltwater tanks, it reflects on your choice of stock. This may not turn out to be a great experience, but with better horses, there could be many future joys to be had. There's lot to be learned from dealing with sick horses, but I have an odd feeling the outcome is pre-determined..... an much abbreviated lifespan.

The pipefish may not be blameless. The horse's existing condition makes it more vulnerable to introduced bugs.

OP
OP
td3025

td3025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why that 1st black one looked "fine" except for being sick. This doesn't reflect on your ability at keep saltwater tanks, it reflects on your choice of stock. This may not turn out to be a great experience, but with better horses, there could be many future joys to be had. There's lot to be learned from dealing with sick horses, but I have an odd feeling the outcome is pre-determined..... an much abbreviated lifespan.

The pipefish may not be blameless. The horse's existing condition makes it more vulnerable to introduced bugs.

I'm worried about what's going to happen as well :(
The one larger seahorse is still acting fine and eating well though. I'm hoping somehow the QT with the medicine helps. But my hopes definitely aren't too high :(

OP
OP
td3025

td3025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys just an update. I did a freshwater dip just to be POSITIVE it wasn't ich before I started the meds, my pony did perfectly fine in the dip for the entire 12 minutes and did not seem bothered or show any signs that he did indeed have ich. So he's now in my hospital tank with a bubbler for good aeration and a hitching post. I've given him his first dose of Furan 2 today. He has done really well. I'm just concerned because he has not eaten today. The temp is at 70 right now in the QT tank but I plan to slowly lower it to 68 during the treatment

Also, should I have a filter in there? I read on the back of the meds its best to run with no filter whatsoever.
Any tips on how to encourage him to eat?? @Lionfish Lair @vlangel tagging you guys since you've been a lot of help so far.

OP
OP
td3025

td3025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I have in there so far (pony is hitched to middle object)
IMG_7758.JPG

I have tank fans running on top to keep the temp low.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, that dip says a lot, as they go crazy with ciliates as well. I haven't actually seen a seahorse with Ich, so I don't know anything about their reaction to that.

Dang, he's not eating, that's not good. Tube feeding is always an option if he goes more than a few days. If you think that's something you'd want to try, it's best to start gathering stuff up now, just in case it comes to that and it's the direction you'd want to roll. Not everyone wants to tube feed. Can you get live brine? Ghost shrimp? Albeit, brine may be easier to catch and smaller to eat, at this moment. He may not want to let go to chase ghosties, so it'll be better to have brine swirling around his head.

I always remove the filter, but I also change the water every day. The same time I medicate my 10 gallon, I would also mix up another bucket (5 gallon) of medicated water for a 50% water change the next day.

OP
OP
td3025

td3025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, that dip says a lot, as they go crazy with ciliates as well. I haven't actually seen a seahorse with Ich, so I don't know anything about their reaction to that.

Dang, he's not eating, that's not good. Tube feeding is always an option if he goes more than a few days. If you think that's something you'd want to try, it's best to start gathering stuff up now, just in case it comes to that and it's the direction you'd want to roll. Not everyone wants to tube feed. Can you get live brine? Ghost shrimp? Albeit, brine may be easier to catch and smaller to eat, at this moment. He may not want to let go to chase ghosties, so it'll be better to have brine swirling around his head.

I always remove the filter, but I also change the water every day. The same time I medicate my 10 gallon, I would also mix up another bucket (5 gallon) of medicated water for a 50% water change the next day.

He had absolutely no reaction to the dip. Acted as if it was normal water. I had a small hitching post in the bucket I did the dip in and he swam up to it and clung on and also swam a little. But no abnormal behavior at all.

I can get live brine, but not until sunday sadly. My shift at work tomorrow is all day (starts before any of my lfs with live brine open and ends after they all close)

I tried feeding him once this morning and once about an hour ago, he completely ignored all of the mysis.
I can try tube feeding, but I'll have to jump on it quick since yesterday I only saw him literally eat two mysis shrimp and that's it.
And like I said, I can't get any live food for another 24+ hours :(

I'll definitely do daily water changes. I like the idea of using a 5 gal bucket to have medicated water on hand for the water changes so I'll likely do that as well.

He's been in the QT for hours now and hasn't moved even an inch once he hitched onto the object in the middle. The temp is at 69 now, I plan to lower it a little further as well.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are doing an awesome job of pulling this together.

Would you be insulted if I asked if you wanted to go over the dosing instructions, if you're going to do a medicated water change? If you got it, just say "Renee, I got this". LOL! I just want to make sure, where it's not per the written directions.

OP
OP
td3025

td3025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are doing an awesome job of pulling this together.

Would you be insulted if I asked if you wanted to go over the dosing instructions, if you're going to do a medicated water change? If you got it, just say "Renee, I got this". LOL! I just want to make sure, where it's not per the written directions.

Actually I would really appreciate the dosing instructions!
And thank you for that website!! I was prepared to drive all over and get all the supplies at different places which was going to be a drag. But everything- even the clove oil, is on here so that's great!

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, just to clarify to anyone skimming. I am not recommending using the medication any different than instructed. It's just if you follow the instructions to a tee, you are going 48 hours without a water change in an uncycled tank. This is when uncycled tanks get out of control. I have always done daily water changes. You cannot use ammonia "blockers" with Furan-2. It will kill, or "beat down" your biological filtration. It sounds like a nasty harsh medication, but my lions and seahorses have always tolerated the treatments well.

Day #1: Dose one packet in your 10g HT.
Measure 1/2 another packet and mix into 5 gallon carboy. Bubble carboy and keep temp similar.

Day #2: Change 5 gallons of water using the water in you medicated carboy.
Dose one packet in your 10g HT.
Bubble 2.5 gallons of UNmedicated saltwater. Keep temp stable.

Day#3: Change 25% of the water with the bubbling UNmedicated saltwater (2.5 gallons).
Make 5 gallons of medicated water with the other half of the already opened packet. (Bubble and keep temp stable)

Day#4: Change 5 gallons of water using the water you medicated in the carboy.
Bubble 5 gallons of UNmedicated saltwater. Keep temp stable.

Day#5: Change 50% of the water with the bubbling UNmedictaed saltwater. Treatment is over. Put in some carbon.The package says 25%, but treatment is over and you're actually trying to remove it at this point. Dilute. Dilute. Dilute.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he's not eating that much, you may not feel the need to do a full 50% water change with the medicated water. Do "water ever" to keep the parameters stable. But make the full 5 gallons, even if you know you're not going to use it. It's not as easy to accurately divide the packet into quarters as it is to divide it into halves. Don't make the full 10 gallons at one either, because it has to degrade the same amount as the water in the tank. Do the water change exactly in the order I stated, as in, don't dose the tank with the packet and then do a water change. Make sure you change the water before the new dose for the day.

OP
OP
td3025

td3025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, just to clarify to anyone skimming. I am not recommending using the medication any different than instructed. It's just if you follow the instructions to a tee, you are going 48 hours without a water change in an uncycled tank. This is when uncycled tanks get out of control. I have always done daily water changes. You cannot use ammonia "blockers" with Furan-2. It will kill, or "beat down" your biological filtration. It sounds like a nasty harsh medication, but my lions and seahorses have always tolerated the treatments well.

Day #1: Dose one packet in your 10g HT.
Measure 1/2 another packet and mix into 5 gallon carboy. Bubble carboy and keep temp similar.

Day #2: Change 5 gallons of water using the water in you medicated carboy.
Bubble 2.5 gallons of UNmedicated saltwater. Keep temp stable.

Day#3: Change 25% of the water with the bubbling UNmedicated saltwater (2.5 gallons).
Make 5 gallons of medicated water with the other half of the already opened packet. (Bubble and keep temp stable)

Day#4: Change 5 gallons of water using the water you medicated in the carboy.
Bubble 5 gallons of UNmedicated saltwater. Keep temp stable.

Day#5: Change 50% of the water with the bubbling UNmedictaed saltwater. Treatment is over. Put in some carbon.The package says 25%, but treatment is over and you're actually trying to remove it at this point. Dilute. Dilute. Dilute.

Thank you so so much! Helps a ton!

OP
OP
td3025

td3025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish you the best of luck!

One last thing, I got some pics of him facing frontwards finally. (the skin erosion is on his backside)

Does his pouch look funny or have I just been looking at it too long?
He's so skinny from not eating. Makes me sad :(

Also from the start I thought his mouth looked a little funny. Hoping this is all just from the same issue and not multiple things.
IMG_7804.JPG
IMG_7810.JPG
IMG_7813.JPG

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging for updates. Having horses is one of my future goals.

Hope he pulls through.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pouch could be from repeated courting..... all the expanding and deflating. Kind of like the rest of him is smooth, but his pouch is made of velvet that looks a little rubbed and worn in areas? Has he been lying on his belly a lot or has been been pretty much upright.

There is definitely something up with his snout. There's always hope, or we wouldn't be trying, but this guy is about to become very very sick. Hopefully he'll turn around.

OP
OP
td3025

td3025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pouch could be from repeated courting..... all the expanding and deflating. Kind of like the rest of him is smooth, but his pouch is made of velvet that looks a little rubbed and worn in areas? Has he been lying on his belly a lot or has been been pretty much upright.

There is definitely something up with his snout. There's always hope, or we wouldn't be trying, but this guy is about to become very very sick. Hopefully he'll turn around.

Ever since he's been in QT he's been upright. for about 3 days he did a lot of laying down in the display tank though. My two males try to court weekly, if not more. So it could definitely be from that. My other horse doesn't have the same look to his pouch though.

I'm thinking the snout is the reason he isn't eating. I'm just hoping the meds give him enough relief to start pretty soon though :(

OP
OP
td3025

td3025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I bring bad news :( he didn't even make it through the night. I have pictures of his little pony corpse if anyone can help me get a diagnosis on what happened :( I want to be sure I was treating the right thing. Because now that I can look THIS closely the parts that I thought were skin erosion are a weird color.

Here's the pics, sorry for the dead pony!!! I was really attached to him he had such a cute personality :(
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so sorry, but I honestly didn't think this was going to go any other way. I think you may have gotten that vibe, from me.

You will still have wonderful seahorses in your future. Just, don't mix anything with the one you have for now.

How long is he?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 78 47.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 31.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back