Weird coloration on Kuda Seahorse...? Ich? Bacterial Infection?

OP
OP
td3025

td3025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so sorry, but I honestly didn't think this was going to go any other way. I think you may have gotten that vibe, from me.

You will still have wonderful seahorses in your future. Just, don't mix anything with the one you have for now.

How long is he?

Just for future reference, when do you think - if ever - would be an ok time to introduce another? I've always wanted that tank to be a pair of ponies and hopefully that can happen one day with the same one I have now!

And I didn't think he was gonna last either, but I didn't want to give up, I wanted to try everything I could

How long is my living one? About an inch longer than the passed one in the pic. So about 5 inches, with its tail curled that is

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The loss sucks, but these are fantastic things to learn. I'm glad you'll have the supplies for tube feeding on hand now.

I had horses I treated for almost 5 months. I'm talking uncycled tanks, twice daily wound treatment where I'd pull him out of the tank, force feeding, medicating, experimental drugs...... ugh.... we go through a lot. i did eventually give up and put them down and had necropsies done. Turned out to be myco, so I was never going to "fix them". I haven't cried too many times in my life.... I cried when I put my two boys in MS-222. They were the first horses I had raised from fry and I put them down on their birthday. That was sad.

I'll be honest, you may always have trouble adding anything to this tank. These guys can be like Typhoid Mary's to any newcomers. Is the remaining one acting perfectly normal?

OP
OP
td3025

td3025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The loss sucks, but these are fantastic things to learn. I'm glad you'll have the supplies for tube feeding on hand now.

I had horses I treated for almost 5 months. I'm talking uncycled tanks, twice daily wound treatment where I'd pull him out of the tank, force feeding, medicating, experimental drugs...... ugh.... we go through a lot. i did eventually give up and put them down and had necropsies done. Turned out to be myco, so I was never going to "fix them". I haven't cried too many times in my life.... I cried when I put my two boys in MS-222. They were the first horses I had raised from fry and I put them down on their birthday. That was sad.

I'll be honest, you may always have trouble adding anything to this tank. These guys can be like Typhoid Mary's to any newcomers. Is the remaining one acting perfectly normal?

Ugh i had a similar experience but with a hedgehog :( nursed her for 8 months through cancer after owning her for 4 years and had to choose to put her down :( so I understand that feeling. And seahorses are one of my favorite animals so that would be impossibly hard :(

But yes I have meds here and tube feeding supplies on their way so I'll have it all if I ever (hope not) need it again.

My larger pony is acting completely fine. Explores the tank, properly hitches to things, never lays down like the smaller did. And is a huge eater every single time I feed. He has some small pieces of algae growing on him though! But nothing bad since I've heard that's normal. I'll take some pics when I get home!

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae and cyano are very normal. Some people think they have burgundy horses until the cyano blows off them and they turn out to be yellow. Ha ha.

OP
OP
td3025

td3025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lionfish Lair I thought maybe a video would be a little of more help. Before I end this thread I just wanna make sure I'm not overlooking anything on my surviving pony.

Thank you so much for all the help you've provided! It really helps me a lot. I don't know anyone locally that has seahorses. every person i've ever met at local fish stores themselves are clueless- but I guess that isn't too surprising. So I've been on my own here just using the internet to educate myself. So it really helps to have had all your input!

I'm just gonna focus on building his tank up rather than looking for another horse for awhile. I want to eventually add one more to the tank but I'm pretty nervous about it now. It's pretty empty other than patches of macro algae and some live rock. I wanna get some more and decorate it up so he can enjoy himself. :)

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's absolutely breathing too heavy. he's even doing occasional "double gulps", which isn't a good thing. I'm trying to set up a screen capture so you know what I mean by that.

OP
OP
td3025

td3025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's absolutely breathing too heavy. he's even doing occasional "double gulps", which isn't a good thing. I'm trying to set up a screen capture so you know what I mean by that.

I actually DID notice the double gulps once earlier. He's already stopped both behaviors now though and has moved to another spot in the tank. Do you think the intense lighting from my camera could've bugged him? Or is it definitely some kind of respiratory issue? My water quality still is top notch so if it is something it's in his gills. Sigh :(

OP
OP
td3025

td3025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry this convo is like never ending, btw. I feel like to every answer I have a follow up question just to make sure I'm getting it right! :(

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, my computer is not cooperating. Basically, the breath he takes about second 16 you can see is very drawn out and is basically the equivalent to us taking a labored deep breath.

OP
OP
td3025

td3025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, my computer is not cooperating. Basically, the breath he takes about second 16 you can see is very drawn out and is basically the equivalent to us taking a labored deep breath.

Yes I was actually so focused on looking at his body to see if he had any signs of skin erosion that I looked over most of his breathing completely. I must say though he does do that often enough where I don't even see it as unusual enough to point out. I'm talking since day one 4 ish months ago. It comes and goes and I never knew what to make of it.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually DID notice the double gulps once earlier. He's already stopped both behaviors now though and has moved to another spot in the tank. Do you think the intense lighting from my camera could've bugged him? Or is it definitely some kind of respiratory issue? My water quality still is top notch so if it is something it's in his gills. Sigh :(

Oh they can breath rapidly when disturbed or excited. The double breaths, not so much. It's like he doesn't have much in the way of reserves and when a tiny little stress in applied, he declines.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we are posting over each other, so if my responses seem out of place a little, it's probably to your post above it.

It's "normal" for him.... but he's not normal. I can't even tell if his snout is swollen it's so oddly shaped.

OP
OP
td3025

td3025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we are posting over each other, so if my responses seem out of place a little, it's probably to your post above it.

It's "normal" for him.... but he's not normal. I can't even tell if his snout is swollen it's so oddly shaped.

If it's swollen, it's been swollen since the day I bought him. I have never owned any ponies before other than the one that passed literally in a day so it's hard for me to compare!

All I know is I'm never buying from that store again.

OP
OP
td3025

td3025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel so bad!

I just hope he doesn't get to the point my other horse did! :( I can fix his weird breathing if I have enough time to get to the route of the problem, unless it's just another internal thing that's untreatable.
Either way, I'll keep this thread updated on the other ponies health. Going to be keeping a VERY close eye on him

OP
OP
td3025

td3025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just wanted to give anyone that comes across this thread an update. (also want to tag @Lionfish Lair since you were helping me during the time of the issue) The surviving pony has been doing really well in my opinion! Eating good, very active. Always exploring the tank.

I'm left to think (and still hoping) the only issue was most likely skin erosion in the case of the pony who did pass. Learned my lesson the extremely hard way about going out of town and leaving these little guys in the hands of someone else :(

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.2%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 49.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back