Weird coloration on Kuda Seahorse...? Ich? Bacterial Infection?

OP
OP
td3025

td3025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lionfish Lair I actually just ordered one for the first time! Gonna see how it goes. I've always just spot fed and sucked up whatever he misses. But I'm thinking the dish will be a lot easier

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you order one from? I didn't know they actually had them for sale as we used to make our own. I epoxied a clam shell to a branching piece of rock, to serve as a dish and a hitch. That I connected to a magfloat, so the dish would not be on the bottom. Bristleworms can be a pain if they can get in the dish and seahorses have died from snout injuries. My anthias became a pain, though, because she used to sit in the clamshell. That was an amazing eight year old anthias and would eat from our hands..... which kind of makes them too bold sometimes.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you put the mysis in the dish, scoop out some saltwater and let the mysis sit in it for a bit. It will help the mysis sink to the bottom and "sit".

OP
OP
td3025

td3025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you order one from? I didn't know they actually had them for sale as we used to make our own. I epoxied a clam shell to a branching piece of rock, to serve as a dish and a hitch. That I connected to a magfloat, so the dish would not be on the bottom. Bristleworms can be a pain if they can get in the dish and seahorses have died from snout injuries. My anthias became a pain, though, because she used to sit in the clamshell. That was an amazing eight year old anthias and would eat from our hands..... which kind of makes them too bold sometimes.

I ordered from SaltCritters. http://saltcritters.com/seahorse-fe...F3k9KQtBPUdoTngZIYIWILIdc4vh6TerFtBoCiLXw_wcB

The anthias sounds so cute though! My lion has gotten pretty bold and will come right up to my hand during feeding. Of course I have to be a little careful with that though. And I know you saw my other post about him hiding lately. Still hiding, don't know what's up with him. :(
I'll keep an eye out and make sure nothing gets in the dish such as bristleworms of course. Luckily I don't believe I have any bristleworm problems in the seahorse tank though. Regardless I'll keep it elevated :)

OP
OP
td3025

td3025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lionfish Lair Okay weird. I don't know why it blurred out what I said... Salt Critters is where I ordered from

OP
OP
td3025

td3025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, it's taken me awhile to get the guts to get another seahorse. But my male has been lonely ever since the other one passed away, and I finally today introduced a second seahorse into his tank again. Shes been doing really well. She did well in quarantine and now is flirting with the male. Hoping all goes well! They keep doing dances with each other and it's adorable. Here's some pictures of her :)
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

OP
OP
td3025

td3025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. Did she just lay eggs? On a rock?

image.jpeg

OP
OP
td3025

td3025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your plans for the future fry?

I'm setting up a spare 13 gallon for now since it seems like they'll be making babies soon. It'll be bare bottom with some hitching posts and a bubble bar. But honestly I need to really hit the books hard for the next few weeks to teach myself exactly how to raise the fry. This'll be my first time doing so obviously

OP
OP
td3025

td3025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kuda are pelagic... ew. It's a great experience, but O...M...G ... the work and worry.
I know :( but I would hate to just watch them give birth and then have alllll the babies die so I just want to at least try to successfully do this

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, congrats on having your pair courting. I had success with using a small plastic fish bowl as a kreisel style nursery inside a larger tank. (I raised erectus which are easier however). The short coming of the small fish bowl is it must be well aerated. I had an aqualifter constantly feeding water from the larger tank into the small fish bowl. That way I could use live rock, a filter and prizm skimmer for filtration without the danger of sucking any fry into the filters. I will see if I can find a pic.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I could not find a pic of me using the fish bowl as a kreisel style nursery but you can see how I modified the fish bowl. It is drilled in the shoulder so that I could attach an airline tube with a slow constant bubble to create a circular flow. The 1" hole cut in the side of the bowl that is covered with a fine mesh is to allow the aqualifter to feed filtered water into the bowl but let water in the bowl to exit through the screen to be filtered. Also when I would feed the fry I would temorarily remove the aqualifter line so the bbs would stay in the fishbowl. I would let the fry feed for 15 minutes or so then put the aqualifter line back in which then would flush the food out of the nursery to filtered by the skimmer and filter. I used a magnet cleaner to hold the fish bowl nursery in place.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Dan's Feed shown in the pic because that is what I used to gut load the bbs to make them nutritous. The big bag in the back is a probiotic that is no longer readily available. I used that both as a gut load for the bbs and in the water of the system to give the fry extra potection from infection.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 89 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 56 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back