What did I just buy?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great point Salty! That would be a fun experiment, essentially testing photoinhibition in clams. Problem is there are so many other variables. Once a person could keep all other variables constant, and just use light for the hypothesis, it would be cool. Of necessity one would also have to have a clam of the same type at every different level of the tank with known PAR levels, but it could be done by someone smarter than me. :D
I just think it would be cool to use A CANNON.

I've seen I think it's an ecotech. Come up for sale a few times usually a few hundred bucks.

ksc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I totally agree. Maxspect has a 1000W LED comparable to a 4000W halide. Penetrates 33 feet... Wow...
That's doubtful. The MH would have far more spread than the LED. So maybe the 1000w led is equivalent to the 1500w MH.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I'm reading and observing most LED company's are berry carefully choosing their words and what they say OR don't say about the lights. It's quite misleading.
I'm still having a tough time figuring out the claims from Phillips. IMO so far they aren't actually making any claims except that the light is great and has spectrum coral use.
I was pretty surprised to see and claim of par on these jbj in fact.
My max spect in fact claims a peak par of between 7 and 900 par at 12in. On their 3D par map. Well if you think about it. That's actuall a silly spread.

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Jofiel

Jofiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, looking at a picture of that thing nearly blinded me!

ksc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that. It's just marketing propaganda. You can search lumen/watt values for the various lighting technologies. Led has a slight edge over HID in efficiency and a much larger edge in longevity.

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that. It's just marketing propaganda. You can search lumen/watt values for the various lighting technologies. Led has a slight edge over HID in efficiency and a much larger edge in longevity.
Agreed, marketing propaganda or not, publishing numbers like that takes attorneys to approve, or should have if they didn't. I am with you on the lumens and watts for different light sources, just interesting to read that Maxspect compared their light to a 4000W halide. I love halides, so this has an impact on my world directly (not that I could use that light). I'm still not certain that LED's are exactly comparable to other lighting sources anyway. But still, the point was stated by Maxspect and I have to respect that.

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That JBJ is like the ecoxotic cannons which are on and off for commercial use. The light is IP65 rated so no fans. If you get the reflector attachment and mount it high and I mean real high you will be able to cover a huge area.

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I'm reading and observing most LED company's are berry carefully choosing their words and what they say OR don't say about the lights. It's quite misleading.
I'm still having a tough time figuring out the claims from Phillips. IMO so far they aren't actually making any claims except that the light is great and has spectrum coral use.
I was pretty surprised to see and claim of par on these jbj in fact.
My max spect in fact claims a peak par of between 7 and 900 par at 12in. On their 3D par map. Well if you think about it. That's actuall a silly spread.

BRS went through every single point in the CoralCare claims and measured the performance. The light behaves exactly like a Sunpower including the hotspots created from surface movement ripple effect in which it doesn't have any. The only thing they dinged the light on was no cool blue. Although I will take 420nm violet over cool blue any day which it does have in spades.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
BRS went through every single point in the CoralCare claims and measured the performance. The light behaves exactly like a Sunpower including the hotspots created from surface movement ripple effect in which it doesn't have any. The only thing they dinged the light on was no cool blue. Although I will take 420nm violet over cool blue any day which it does have in spades.
and that's exactly why I'd like to play with one.

We're gonna need a bigger cube!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And Wow. Don't you hate blurple?

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And Wow. Don't you hate blurple?

Blurple is caused by using too much cool blue and violets that are more in the visible purple range. It's basically caused when you combine windex with purple. A real 420nm diode or bulb like the ATI true actinic does not make blurple when you mix it with a true 450nm royal blue. If you look at mars aquas they have an insane amount of cool blue in them.

Every single true 420nm semiled diode I have barely emits a visible color. A good example is taking an ATI Blue+ with a True Actinic. You won't see blurple. Cheap 420nm diodes are more indigo than violet and they cast a really visible purple color.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blurple is caused by using too much cool blue and violets that are more in the visible purple range. It's basically caused when you combine windex with purple. A real 420nm diode or bulb like the ATI true actinic does not make blurple when you mix it with a true 450nm royal blue. If you look at mars aquas they have an insane amount of cool blue in them.

Every single true 420nm semiled diode I have barely emits a visible color. A good example is taking an ATI Blue+ with a True Actinic. You won't see blurple. Cheap 420nm diodes are more indigo than violet and they cast a really visible purple color.
Yup. I agree. Sadly I do kinda like it visually assuming we're talking about the same shade. Sb reef light

OP
OP
Jofiel

Jofiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A number of company's made what are called canons. One lfs here has them on several tanks.
Google led cannon aquarium.

I didn't notice this earlier. ( I was at work too >.>)

I haven't seen anything like these before. Very cool. Some of these images have gorgeous color. I hope mine ends up not too blue.

Philt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if OP realizes this, or I may be wrong, but isn't the blue like an actinic bulb? So if he wants normal white , he's going to have to supplement it with another bulb. The blue is good for corals but it wont be sufficient for viewiing the tank by itself .

OP
OP
Jofiel

Jofiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if OP realizes this, or I may be wrong, but isn't the blue like an actinic bulb? So if he wants normal white , he's going to have to supplement it with another bulb. The blue is good for corals but it wont be sufficient for viewiing the tank by itself .

I thought that might be the case. I'll see what it looks like and figure something out eventually. I don't even have a tank appropriate for the light at this point, so who knows what will work.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
double check the specs, I dont think its just blue. One is blue-er ie ai sol white ai sol blue. different native kelvin thep

OP
OP
Jofiel

Jofiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg! It's giant! I had no idea it would be so big rofl!

Pear for scale (no bananas in the house)

IMG_1446.JPG

IMG_1446.JPG

IMG_1448.JPG

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.4%
Back