• Thread starter inactive
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

tinctorus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the mini mini's as bad with killing fish as the maxi mini's are?

I want to add some to my tank but I will have a pair of either grade A picasso or platinum clowns in there and I dont exactly want one of these guys eating a 200+ dollar clownfish...

Saltydiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly don't know? I have had good luck with my maxis not eating anything, other than something that was probably on its way out already. Just chalked it up to the circle of life. I've had clowns and a wrasse with them for over a year without any issues.

tinctorus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly don't know? I have had good luck with my maxis not eating anything, other than something that was probably on its way out already. Just chalked it up to the circle of life. I've had clowns and a wrasse with them for over a year without any issues.

My concern is the fish I am putting in the tank are rather expensive, The tank will be stocked with a pair of either picasso clowns "Grade A" platinum clowns pair OR a pair of wyoming whites if I can get ahold of them, I know c-quest is still making them because they even have them listed in the new issue of coral magazine, I will also have a flaming prawn goby, panda goby and a male/female pair of mandarin clowns, I will also have a nice CUC from reefcleaners

thats a fairly small bioload for the 34 gallon RSM, it will have a sump/refugium on a 24/7 light cycle, 4x24 t5ho lights, reef keeper lite with the appropriate modules for ph,salinity,temp probes, ATO as well as dosing pumps 2 for an A/B 2 part solution, carbon,GFO and bio pellet reactor, 6 moonlight mofules controlled from the RKL to give a true 29 day lunar cycle, SC65 or SC100 skimmer, weekly 50% water changes made with reef crytals salt "unless the brightwell stuff is better "OR if there is a much better salt PLEASE let me know" I will also have a kalk reactor similar to the one from avast marine

I THINK that is all of the equipment I will be using aside from a magdrive or other quality return pump and a few other MINOR things

Let me know what you guys think

Salty D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost a clown and a harlequin shrimp to a maxi mini. Though they are small they are still lethal. I would be even more worried about fish that perch like a goby. Just my 2 cents.

tinctorus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost a clown and a harlequin shrimp to a maxi mini. Though they are small they are still lethal. I would be even more worried about fish that perch like a goby. Just my 2 cents.

What about mini mini's though??
They dont seem to have a taste for fish like maxi mini's

theronsta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like mine X)
IMG_3483.jpg

nateroten

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how much is the average price for these? Do clowns tend to host them like other anemones?

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They generally go for about $20 on up. No fish are compatible with these. They are super sticky and I've had them even eat an Anthias.

Cl0ne1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok...I bought some LR off of craigslist that came with alot of hitch hikers. One of the hitch hikers I found was a mini carpet. Without actinic lights on it, it is pink. With actinic lights it is toxic green with purple spots and a purple ring. My camera is terrible but my profile picture and avatar picture is as good of a picture as I can get of them. I have some questions though.

I have had the original mini carpet for 2-3 months. It has split twice and one of the splits is splitting right now. All 4 will be no larger than a 1/2inch. Is this as large as they are going to get?

At this size, and in large quantities, are they going to be a danger to my fish? I saw one post that someone posted says they eat cerith snails...mine are, but at 1/2in will they eat my fish?

I saw someone on here has sexy shrimp in their mini carpets...do you have any larger fish that would normally eat sexy shrimp in the tank? Do the minis provide enough "protection" for the sexy shrimp? I have a coral beauty that I believe would eat a sexy shrimp....but I would love to have some sexy shrimp in my tank.

Am I looking at a hostile takeover of mini carpets? I mean, it's only been a maximum of 3 months and I already have 4 minis from 1.

Tank you for your time,

Kevin

Salty D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get any good pics? ½" is small for a mini nem. There are other pest nems out there.

Cl0ne1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok...so. This is a pic of when I first found it, before I put some actinic bulbs on. At that time, I didn't even have any corals.
DSCF5025.jpg

This is last night with just a true lumens 420 actinic moon light.
DSCF5542.jpg

At both pictures, they are both around 1/2inch. The top is the original hitch hiker I found. The bottom is the first clone starting to split.

Salty D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a mini carpet. Minis get to be 2-3". Maxi Minis get much larger. I had a Maxi almost identical in color that was about 7". None of mine ever split but they did have spawning events a few times per year. I'll see if I can find a pic of mine.

Cl0ne1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern is what will happen when they keep splitting into a colony the size of a baseball. If they are going to split every month, I'm gonna end up with 250 of these little guys in 6 months. Of course I will remove them when they leave the rock I want them on...but seriously. If the quantity doubles every month, I'm gonna be making weekly trips to the LFS to trade a dozen or so in. Not that I don't appreciate the financial return...but thats alot of work. I gotta pry a dozen off the rocks without hurting them a week...I might have to rethink some of my frag locations here soon.

Tank you for your time,

Kevin

Cl0ne1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for double posting, but I forgot to axe. What do you mean spawning event?

Tank you for your time,

Kevin

Salty D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maxis aren't know for their splitting but minis are. You could end up with a bunch of them. If you want to keep a small carpet, maybe trade in the minis for a maxi. They are pretty cool nems. Keep in mind....maxi OR mini...they are carpet nems a pack a potent sting! I lost a clown in a maxi.

Salty D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for double posting, but I forgot to axe. What do you mean spawning event?

Tank you for your time,

Kevin

The first time I saw it, I was looking at the nem all puffed up and it erupted like a volcano then trickled for 1/2 hour then erupted again. Went on for a while. Here's a vid of it after it blasted the first time. And it made my skimmer go nuts...lol

[video=youtube;eaSDWk9hpSY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaSDWk9hpSY[/video]

Cl0ne1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have flipped my lid...then called all 3 LFS's in the area. Anywho, do you think my mini's are going to stay that small? or are the parameters just really good and they are splitting?

Tank you for your time,

Kevin

Salty D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why nems split is a kinda touchy subject. They may be happy and just reproducing.....or....when in poor water conditions or even the stress of acclimation can cause them to split. When threatened they will use the "safety in numbers" method to ensure the species survives by splitting. See what I'm sayin'? As for size...2to 3 inches when full grown. Being that yours are that small and splitting like that, I lean more toward stress and shock.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 73.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back