Yellow Tang/Melanurus Wrasse

mkunk1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was curious to see if there were any new developments in the captive-breeding programs that were announced back in 2015 for the yellow tang and/or the melanurus wrasse. Is it still being done?

I have tried searching for more articles but the only things I can find are the original announcements/updates from 2015.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was unaware of the attempt to breed melanarus wrasse. I haven't heard much on any of them in awhile, either.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rising Tide just shared this update yesterday on Facebook
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1532457413488092&id=850675348332972
"We have some exciting Wrasse news from the UF IFAS Tropical Aquaculture Laboratory!

First generation (F1) Melanurus wrasses, Halichoeres melanurus, have reached sexual maturity at 9 months of age and have been producing daily viable spawns for the past three weeks. Second generation (F2) Melanurus wrasses are on the way, looking strong and eating well at 11 DPH.

This means that the life cycle of the Melanurus wrasse has been successfully closed, bringing us one step closer towards the commercialization of wrasse aquaculture!"

burningbaal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking for some info here, anyone know of any progress toward commercial availability (or progress thereto) for wrasses? I know the yellow tang is at least sometimes available now, but can't find any wrasses except an occasional cleaner wrasse.

sabeypets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oceanic Institute, in partnership with Biota, have closed the life cycle of yellow tangs. Another HUGE milestone in marine ornamental aquaculture! The first F2's were on display this year at MACNA. They are available now.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 130 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.3%
Back