Zero phosphate and zero nitrate

Marcom12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My research says I should not have zero.... I should have low readings, but not zero.

I have a 30 gal sump with a cheato ball. I took my skimmer out..... I feel I overfeed, not hugely, but some. I have some algae issues but they seem to be getting less... Should I care about the zeros?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol

Zero can mean different things to different people. If your testing is good enough, then undetectable levels are not desirable. If you have algae, it is unlikely to be too low for hard corals.

OP
OP
Marcom12

Marcom12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I have is a bta and two fish at the moment... I think I'm going to not worry about it then?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All I have is a bta and two fish at the moment... I think I'm going to not worry about it then?

Zero means that the input into the tank = the needs of the tank. If you want to grow coral (i.e. make it bigger) - you might want to increase it some to allow growth. If other things are competing for nutrients - seemingly - its best to have it a little bit above zero

OP
OP
Marcom12

Marcom12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. :) I assume no need to dose vinegar or vodka? Seems those are target solutions?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would not worry about nutrients too low in that situation, assuming you feed them.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back