235gal tank with 180gal sump - The build is on

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the Iwaki is more than sufficient but here is what I was debating in my mind.

DC advantages
  • Less electrical consumption
  • Soft start
  • Feed modes - maintains very minimal flow
  • Available flow modes
  • Less heat from pump
DC disadvantages:
  • More maintenance required.
  • Not suitable for high head - but is this pertinent in this scenario
Iwaki advantages:
  • Proven reliability
  • Head pressure is a non-issue
  • Limited maintenance required
Disadvantage: the opposite of DC pumps advantages
The maintenance isn't that bad for DC in my experience. A couple of time a year you tear it apart and clean it and it's good to go. The other downside of the DC, is that you can easily overcome the head pressure but you will have to oversize the pump and it will cost you more than the AC. The varios for example (brand I use), the price jump from the varios 8 to the 10 is $500. The 8 gives sufficient flow but with a max head of 18 feet. The 10 bumps the head pressure to 29 feet. However, the fact that it's adjustable, quiet and power efficient makes them very nice to use.

Ironwill723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It looks like it would definitely do the job. It is 1K cost and 2-year warranty. Iwaki is $550 also 2-year warranty. Tough call
Depends on how much you pay for electricity. Iwaki or Panworld will last forever. DC pumps are not usually as reliable.

dwhanc00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you are looking to get 10x turnover. From what I have read, that is not an absolute necessity if you got other flow inside the tank. Also might want to consider the flow rate if you are using a roller matt vs filter socks. They can be limiting. My current tank maybe gets 5-6x turnover (140 gallons) but I have 4 mp40's in my tank.

OP
OP
danreef55

danreef55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you are looking to get 10x turnover. From what I have read, that is not an absolute necessity if you got other flow inside the tank. Also might want to consider the flow rate if you are using a roller matt vs filter socks. They can be limiting. My current tank maybe gets 5-6x turnover (140 gallons) but I have 4 mp40's in my tank.
I ended up ordering two Red Dragon ECO 5 DC pumps.

OP
OP
danreef55

danreef55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this fleece roller Smart roller L Filter Roller- Reef Factory here are the specs
1728159176163.png

Substituting Red Dragon pumps will allow me to run 100% of the drain lines through the roller.

Attachments

• 1728159129268.png
    1728159129268.png
    50.8 KB · Views: 4

Fishy Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wish you would have thought through this a little more thoroughly before you started ha. In all seriousness this is a great build and I’m excited to see it come together. Love your scape!

OP
OP
danreef55

danreef55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wish you would have thought through this a little more thoroughly before you started ha. In all seriousness this is a great build and I’m excited to see it come together. Love your scape!
Thanks so much for your kind words. It is still keeping my mind occupied while I wait for tank and sump. I have been purchasing what I need as it goes on sale. I will finish the final touches on the sump stand tomorrow. I appreciate you following along. It is part of the fun

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW ARE YOUR CORALS DOING TODAY? HONEST ANSWERS ONLY!

• Everything seems to be doing great!

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • Almost everything is doing good!

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Some are doing good, others not so much...

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • They're okay, I guess.

Votes: 11 12.4%
  • They're not doing too well right now.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Not good at all...

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back