Coral ID & Pump help

Tyreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need help on coral ID of these corals below and what type of flow. I currently have a 37 gallon reef tank with

1 aqua top max flow DC wave maker (top left)
1 sicce (1000 - 270gph) bottom left hitting back of tank
1 sicce (1000 - 270 gph - top right facing wave maker directly across)

Any tips on changes I should make to rock work, placement of corals, flow (direction or placement of pumps). Some coral is doing great and others not so much. I know in picture #1 I have a green ausie pipe coral that refuses to open up, not sure what I’m doing wrong but really need advice and tips! Please!

IMG_8254.jpeg IMG_8262.jpeg IMG_8263.jpeg IMG_8265.jpeg IMG_8266.jpeg IMG_8267.jpeg

TeeSquared1214

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell with the pictures in my opinion.

Pictures 2 and 4 look like Zoanthid corals.
Picture 5 looks like a bubble coral? Or a hammer? And picture 3 looks like a mushroom coral.

I’m new to the hobby so this may be way off base so take it with a grain of salt. Curious to know what others with more experience think!

OP
OP
Tyreefer

Tyreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell with the pictures in my opinion.

Pictures 2 and 4 look like Zoanthid corals.
Picture 5 looks like a bubble coral? Or a hammer? And picture 3 looks like a mushroom coral.

I’m new to the hobby so this may be way off base so take it with a grain of salt. Curious to know what others with more experience think!
Sorry my iPhone doesn’t take great photos and it’s hard for me to adjust lights since I have them setup on my apps that my lfs did for me, don’t want to mess anything up knowing myself I would!

OP
OP
Tyreefer

Tyreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blastos and hammer likes a gentle flow. Not too fast. Is the first photo a pipe organ?
Interesting, would you leave them where I have them placed now? Yes first photo is a green ausie pipe organ coral, being such a pain not opening don’t know what I’m doing wrong

Sumbub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P
Interesting, would you leave them where I have them placed now? Yes first photo is a green ausie pipe organ coral, being such a pain not opening don’t know what I’m doing wrong
I think you have them in good spots. Just keep an eye out to see if the hammer is splashing around like those car sales blow up things. LOL Forgot what they're called. And the pipe organ I think needs to be in a gentler spot too. Looks like it's getting blasted from both sides?

OP
OP
Tyreefer

Tyreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P

I think you have them in good spots. Just keep an eye out to see if the hammer is splashing around like those car sales blow up things. LOL Forgot what they're called. And the pipe organ I think needs to be in a gentler spot too. Looks like it's getting blasted from both sides?
I figured it being hit by both pumps wasn’t great, I read they need high flow to help move detritus out of there tiny nooks and crannies that it can get caught in. But maybe I should move it down more on rock work instead of in the direct flow?

OP
OP
Tyreefer

Tyreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe an indirect flow. Not in front of the pumps but more forwards or behind it?
Thank you I’ll try to maybe face the pumps towards the glass to provide that indirect flow? Also what you mentioned about “ Just keep an eye out to see if the hammer is splashing around like those car sales blow up things. LOL Forgot what they're called” did you mean when it sticks out its little arms like this? What does it mean?

Attachments

• IMG_8272.jpeg
    IMG_8272.jpeg
    199.1 KB · Views: 3

Sumbub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I’ll try to maybe face the pumps towards the glass to provide that indirect flow? Also what you mentioned about “ Just keep an eye out to see if the hammer is splashing around like those car sales blow up things. LOL Forgot what they're called” did you mean when it sticks out its little arms like this? What does it mean?
I meant when it's getting blown around wildly. Torches for instance will whip around wild like when the pumps are blowing at it. :grinning-squinting-face:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IF YOU HAD A CAREER IN REEF-KEEPING, WHAT WOULD YOU BE DOING? AND WHY?

• Selling and distributing livestock!

Votes: 47 34.6%
  • Selling and distributing equipment!

Votes: 14 10.3%
  • Breeding and Aquaculture!

Votes: 62 45.6%
  • Livestock Disease and Treatment!

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Chemistry!

Votes: 13 9.6%
  • Designing and Maintenance of tanks!

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • Research and Education!

Votes: 34 25.0%
  • Reefing Equipment and Dry Goods Creation and Manufacturing!

Votes: 17 12.5%
  • Conservation!

Votes: 37 27.2%
  • Other (please explain)!

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back