Custom tank options - glass cages

RastaReefarian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After years of watching BRS videos on youtube, I finally have a house with a nice finished basement on a concrete slab. So I'm jumping into the deep end.

I always imagined buying a red sea AIO, but with all the noise around that brand I just don't want to deal with it. Structural integrity is my most important concern, and it seems like custom is the way to go, and as far as I can tell Glass Cages is one of the top options in that category.

If I wanted the most structurally sound design, are these the best options to choose in each category for a 60x24x25 glass tank?

Aquarium style - braced with cross-braces
Build construction - trim bottom build with interior bracing
Euro bracing option - Euro braced with low iron and black trim
Vertical seam guards

Also, with a box style overflow (center back), if want to plumb a BeanAnimal drain and two returns, I believe I would need five bulkheads (3 drain holes in the bottom and two return holes on the back?)

Since this tank won't be rimless I'm assuming I'd need light mounts. Would 3 be optimum for a tank this size? I'm entertaining doing different types of lights to create different par zones for mixed reef.

Any guidance from you knowledgeable folks is much appreciated.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have a 60" Glass Cages tank, albeit 60 x 18 x 21 and couldn't be happier. As far as I know, it comes with the first three things you've mentioned, and I don't know what "vertical seam guards" are. Here it is when it was first moved inside my front door:

1723679547388.png

The Euro bracing is open in the center back to accept a Glass Holes Overflow (no longer being made). I had this made with low E glass on the front, and if I had to do it over, I would not get Low E. Maybe it's my old eyes, but I don't see the difference.

If you're interested, HERE's my build thread.

Oh, and WELCOME to R2R!

OP
OP
R

RastaReefarian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have a 60" Glass Cages tank, albeit 60 x 18 x 21 and couldn't be happier. As far as I know, it comes with the first three things you've mentioned, and I don't know what "vertical seam guards" are. Here it is when it was first moved inside my front door:

1723679547388.png

The Euro bracing is open in the center back to accept a Glass Holes Overflow (no longer being made). I had this made with low E glass on the front, and if I had to do it over, I would not get Low E. Maybe it's my old eyes, but I don't see the difference.

If you're interested, HERE's my build thread.

Oh, and WELCOME to R2R!
Awesome, thanks brother. Looking forward to reading through your build thread.

IS YOUR REEF AUTOMATED? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes, my tank is almost fully automated.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Yes, I have some automation in my tank.

Votes: 27 37.0%
  • Yes, but I have very little automation in my tank.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • No, I have no automation in my tank.

Votes: 9 12.3%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back